Gransnet forums

Gardening

So glad of all that rain recently, because…

(22 Posts)
Witzend Mon 06-Nov-23 08:28:38

…I had 3 bare root roses to plant in the front garden, and the soil there is usually like baked iron. Instead it was relatively soft and diggable. 🙂

Jaxjacky Mon 06-Nov-23 09:01:11

We’ve got one to put in Witzend in S Hampshire after torrential rain I don’t think the ‘watering in’ will be required!

25Avalon Mon 06-Nov-23 09:12:38

Didn’t Monty say to still water them in? 😂

Witzend Mon 06-Nov-23 11:08:52

25Avalon

I did water them in, as well as rehydrating in a bucket of water for a couple of hours before planting.

One I planted in the back garden a couple of weeks ago is showing the tiny beginnings of new shoots already. 🙂

Callistemon21 Mon 06-Nov-23 11:15:11

We planted a small tree (it did come in a pot) - then came the hot weather and drought. Despite watering copious cans of water, it looked as if it wouldn't make it; the leaves scorched and it looked very sad.
Then came the rain and it suddenly flowered (out of season), more rain and it looks healthier so 🤞 it will survive.

It's a good time to plant roses and they should be fine. 🌹

Paperbackwriter Thu 09-Nov-23 11:26:27

25Avalon

I noticed Monty didn't put any mitrorhyzal (sp?) stuff in the planting hole. I was quite surprised about that.

foxie48 Thu 09-Nov-23 12:03:36

It's been a funny year, I've just picked a few french beans, some spinach and a rather anaemic looking courgette. I've masses of colour in the garden from dahlias, hollyhocks etc as we've yet to have a frost!

Callistemon21 Thu 09-Nov-23 15:58:19

Well, it's quite waterlogged everywhere, I'd think the roots could rot if they got additional water. Monty's not far from me, perhaps he recorded it before all this rain 😃

Of course, Witzend could live somewhere not quite so soggy!

Shantygirly Thu 09-Nov-23 15:58:32

We've had a couple of strawberries with our porridge the last couple of days, husband saw a plant down the garden with green fruit on, so he potted it up and put it into our lean-to greenhouse! Lovely surprise for the time of year and our raspberries have only just finished too. smile

Jaxjacky Thu 09-Nov-23 16:59:45

Rose went in with some mitowhatsit, I’ll check it in a couple of weeks, the potted bay is in the greenhouse, too much rain for it.

Visgir1 Thu 09-Nov-23 17:06:43

Been too wet to get my bare root roses in.. Poor plants are downing!

Callistemon21 Thu 09-Nov-23 17:25:37

mitowhatsit

I must look out for that at the Garden Centre!

25Avalon Thu 09-Nov-23 18:10:26

I left a bare root rose in a bucket of water, then in my spring for months (shame on me). When I finally planted it there were loads of white thread roots. I was not surprised when it lost all its leaves and appeared to be dead about 6weeks ago. I was surprised though when it grew lots of new shoots and it now looks healthy. Plants are amazing.

Witzend Thu 09-Nov-23 18:19:04

I ordered a little packet of that mitro fungal stuff with my roses from David Austin.

Katie59 Thu 09-Nov-23 18:35:41

Roses are extremely tough and will tolerate water logging but don’t let them dry out planting new roses in summer. Once the roots are established drought isn’t a problem.

Jbp1 Thu 09-Nov-23 19:13:39

Advise you clever rose growers please. We were given a David Austin rose for our wedding anniversary in Aug.
Haven’t got round to planting it anywhere, so it’s still in its pot!
Had put it in the greenhouse to overwinter, but just read not to let roses dry out.
Would it be ok left out in sheltered spot or is it safer to be planted out?
Thanks.

Azalea99 Thu 09-Nov-23 19:22:49

Jbp1 The ground is still warm enough for you to plant it out, which is what I’d do, but if you’re unable to do that then maybe you could sink the rose, still in its pot, into the ground until you find the optimum position next year.

Jbp1 Thu 09-Nov-23 19:28:01

Thank you Azalea99
Hopefully the howling gale we have had today will have calmed! I shall get out tomorrow and plant it out👍🏻
We are in Devon .

Oldnproud Thu 09-Nov-23 19:32:24

I think that the warm autumn plus all the rain might have caused the demise of one of my hydrangeas.

I had pruned it right back last year but it had grown back incredibly well this year, looking absolutely perfectly healthy until a few weeks ago when I noticed that nearly all of its leaves had horrible black spots on them.

Google helped me to diagnose the fungal disease anthracnose . It was so badly affected by thenthat I decided the best thing to do was dig it out and dispose of it.

There is another hydrangea right next to it which still looks very healthy overall, but I have noticed that a small number of its leaves are also showing the early signs of the same thing. I'm removing them as they appear and really hoping that this is enough to stop it going the same way as the other. 😔

Callistemon21 Thu 09-Nov-23 23:39:57

Jbp1

Thank you Azalea99
Hopefully the howling gale we have had today will have calmed! I shall get out tomorrow and plant it out👍🏻
We are in Devon .

Yes, definitely - if the ground is not too soggy to dig!

loopyloo Sun 12-Nov-23 08:43:32

Yes it's filling the reservoirs for the long hot summer ahead.
But our three sheds are now wet and our books are getting damp. So am on a dehumidifying campaign.
What was I doing all summer when I could have been putting up guttering and painting?

Iam64 Sun 12-Nov-23 08:53:15

The lawns and fields in rainy north Manchester are sodden. It’s welly weather because in places the water is over the walking boots. Two muddy dogs to shower after every off lead run