Gransnet forums

Gardening

Hedgehogs

(20 Posts)
varian Thu 02-Nov-23 13:40:44

When did you last see a hedgehog?

60 years ago there were 30 million hedgehogs in Britain. Now there are less than 1 million.

Please stop using weedkillers and slug pellets in your garden,

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 02-Nov-23 14:34:57

We had a nest of hoglets in the garden this year - (what I assume was) mum moved them one by one. There have been a few sightings during the summer but not many. I don’t use weed killer except on the gravel drive, not in the garden where there is lots of ground cover and plenty of wild areas with heaps of wood, grass cuttings and leaves. Nor do I use slug pellets. I have a hedgehog house but have never known it to be used.

Skydancer Thu 02-Nov-23 14:51:24

Last year we had one in our garden. We think he hibernated in the hedgehog house. This Spring, one large one appeared and stayed for 2 days. Since then no sightings at all. Our garden is hedgehog friendly, no chemicals, hole in fence etc and it really annoys me to see other people using weed killer and then claiming to be nature lovers. There is plenty of information out there on how to protect and encourage nature.

Oldbat1 Thu 02-Nov-23 14:52:03

We have 3 visitors. One was out during daylight last week and was very active. I weighed it and it was only 254gms - they need to be 500gms before hibernation. I contacted a hedgehog rescue to ask advice and was told it likely wont survive winter. They will take it if i can catch it - so far it hasnt returned. Seemingly they dont like rain and it has rained every day for a week.

Allsorts Thu 02-Nov-23 14:55:18

I would love to see one back in my garden, they used to be a regular visitor, such cute little creatures.

Georgesgran Thu 02-Nov-23 14:58:00

I’ve got 3 too - still feeding them every night. I buy a food called Spike for them. I hope they’ll hibernate in my hedgehog house, but it’s so well hidden now, I can’t get to it.

AreWeThereYet Thu 02-Nov-23 15:01:42

We used to have them regularly, not so much this year. Although we haven't really looked for them this year, so I may be wrong. We used to put hedgehog food out, and have videos from the trail cam of a cat, a fox and two hedgehogs all eating from the two dishes at the same time. We rarely use any weed killer and never use slug pellets. I don't think I know any gardening friends who use slug pellets.

I suspect the main danger to hedgehogs is traffic these days, we've seen a few squelched on the roads near us.

Ziplok Thu 02-Nov-23 15:02:48

We’ve been very fortunate to have hedgehogs visiting us regularly over the years. We bought an infra red camera to use at night about 3 years ago, and each year it has recorded our prickly friends visiting, so I’m assuming they were visiting prior to us having a camera, too. Our garden and those around us are easily accessible for them. We don’t put out food, just water, although a neighbour leaves a small dish of dog food overnight and it’s always gone the next morning (I realise it might not be the hedgehogs alone enjoying that, though, which makes me a bit wary of doing the same).

MayBee70 Thu 02-Nov-23 15:27:24

I took two youngsters to a rescue centre a few years ago. I assume they released them the following spring. The were a little boy and a little girl so I like to think that they both went on to have families. Back at my house I have one that wanders across my driveway @ 10pm. I have put a house in my front garden but I don’t think it’s using it. It’s important to make the houses badger proof or the badgers will kill them.

Baggs Thu 02-Nov-23 16:09:28

I saw quite a few dead ones on the lochside road this summer. While this was not pleasant, it did make me think – and hope! – that it meant there were plenty who didn't need to cross the road. Above the road, in most places, they'd be as safe as hedgehogs can be.

Chestnut Thu 02-Nov-23 16:21:25

Not only killed on the roads but there must be a lot drowning in all this flooding over the last 20 years. 😢

Grammaretto Thu 02-Nov-23 17:33:46

There were cars 60years ago so it can't be only that.
I haven't seen one in ages despite placing hog houses etc. I wonder if our council's use of roundup is the culprit but I don't know.
We have very few earthworms too.
I was told that was due to flatworms, but they aren't abundant either.
It's sad.

LOUISA1523 Thu 02-Nov-23 17:47:54

My mums had a few this year in garden...all the neighbours near her leave a small gap on fence so they can move between gardens

Louella12 Thu 02-Nov-23 18:00:07

We've had at least 3 in our garden for years. Obviously not sure if they're the same ones but we have a little house and out garden is extremely wildlife friendly.

Lots of bushes, plants and trees. We also put hedgehog food out every night.

And no slug pellets ot weedkiller!

Septimia Thu 02-Nov-23 18:00:55

There were 2 baby ones in our garden last year. I'm anticipating more because there were 2 adult hedgehogs having fun on the lawn a while back. We seem to be on a regular route that the local ones take and we feed then with left over cat food or proper hedgehog food.

A couple of years ago we were flashed by a car coming the other way as we drove into a small town in the Yorkshire Dales. Puzzled, we slowed down and saw as we rounded the corner that a hedgehog was wandering across the road. We duly stopped and waited until it had reached safety.

JaneJudge Thu 02-Nov-23 18:07:18

i see lots of dead ones sad

Grammaretto Thu 02-Nov-23 19:29:13

I don't see dead ones and I used to. About 30 years ago if you went out after dark you were almost bound to meet or hear one.
Loss of habitat is generally blamed and so many people have carparks instead of front gardens

AreWeThereYet Thu 02-Nov-23 19:39:35

One or two of the roads near us are usually littered with dead foxes, badgers, hedgehogs and squirrels. Now and again a crow or pigeon. They are quite long, fairly straight roads that separate the heath and the local housing. Cars drive very fast and there are a lot of them.

lixy Thu 02-Nov-23 21:31:41

Very rarely see one on the roadside here - more likely to see foxes and badgers.

We had a hedgehog in the garden last year, just passing through. I was so pleased to see it. I'm hoping it'll be a more regular visitor now the garden is becoming more wild-life friendly after being in our care for two years,

25Avalon Fri 03-Nov-23 16:50:42

I found a dead one on the drive a couple of years ago. After speaking to the hedgehog rescue centre I picked it up and put it in a warm box in the hope it was not dead but sadly it was.