Gransnet forums

Gardening

My poor Hebe

(10 Posts)
tanith Tue 01-Nov-22 15:18:22

My purple Hebe is turning brown in stages it started with small patch in the Summer but now it’s spread to a lot more. I’m not sure whether to cut it right back or just try trimming it in hope it will recover.
Can it be saved or should I just dig it out although it might be tough going.

Beechnut Tue 01-Nov-22 18:41:04

If it will be tough to dig out I would cut it back first if it was mine. I do love my secateurs 🤣

Ziplok Wed 02-Nov-22 11:53:13

I had a hebe in the ground which was beautiful for many years, but suddenly started to die back. I tried cutting out the brown and dying bits to begin with, but the dieback continued to spread (which I have since learned is common), so that in the end it had to come out. It took quite some time to get all the roots out as it was well established, but in the end, with help, I succeeded.
Although I was sad to lose it, the space it left was quite substantial which has since been planted with a variety of smaller plants and flowers that look really lovely - so there was something good to come out of my initial disappointment in the end.
Certainly try by just cutting it back - yours might revive, but my own experience was that it gradually worsened.

MaizieD Wed 02-Nov-22 12:09:42

I think that once it's started to die it will die. I have much the same thing with a previously thriving rosemary which started dying back this summer. Cutting out the dead bits kept it looking halfway decent until now, but I'll dig it out soon. I took cuttings, which have all rooted, so I have a replacement ready.

Have you thought about taking some cuttings if you want to replace it with the same plant? They'd probably still take on a windowsill if you don't have a greenhouse.

PinkCosmos Wed 02-Nov-22 12:18:17

I would try cutting it back quite hard and seeing how it is next Spring

FlexibleFriend Wed 02-Nov-22 12:53:57

I had this problem with a couple of Hebe's in pots, one was cut back removing the dead bits every time they appeared. The other one was just left and yes it died but I've noticed that the one I cut back completely in the end last year has put out new shoots this year. It's a fraction of the size it was but hey it's not dead any more, just looks like a cutting. I'm hopeful the other one that was just left might also put out new shoots, you never know. I'll give it a year and see what if anything happens.

tanith Wed 02-Nov-22 13:16:48

Thanks everyone I’ve noticed this morning another Hebe that’s in my front garden is doing the same thing, how annoying.
I think I’ll cut them both back and if there is no new growth in Spring I’ll attempt to dig them out.

tanith Wed 23-Nov-22 13:38:38

Well i went out to cut my Hebe severely back and found that its busy sprouting new leaves on what appeared dead branches now what do I do?

J52 Wed 23-Nov-22 14:12:12

It’s probably been affected by the hot summer, not necessarily drying out but sunburn.
The brown leaves will drop off and leave the new ones at the end of stems. This has happened to mine. In the spring prune back some of the stems and it will sprout new growth.

BlueBalou Wed 23-Nov-22 15:05:00

I’ve lost all three of my long-established hebes this year. All flowered beautifully then turned brown and that was that ☹️
I’ve had them dug out and will have a think about what to replace them with.