Gransnet forums

Gardening

Houseplants, help please.

(5 Posts)
Leah50 Thu 15-Sep-22 13:24:23

Thank you BlueBelle, I've tidied them up, checked their roots, going to take your advice & keep them where they are until next spring, possibly their shock at moving wasn't too traumatic. I love my new retirement flat & hope they'll get used to living here.

BlueBelle Thu 15-Sep-22 13:01:24

Don’t ditch the look after them carefully in the sane way they ve got to get used to new atmosphere new light etc etc give them time

Casdon Thu 15-Sep-22 12:47:20

One other thing I do every year which always revives my houseplants is to put them outside in a shady spot for a few weeks in the summer, they always look so much better for it. It’s a bit late in the season now, but try putting them outside in the daytime, and water them with rainwater instead of tap water.

karmalady Thu 15-Sep-22 12:35:05

I revamped four of my houseplants yesterday. Actually got rid of two of them as they were not giving me joy and I changed the pots and substrate for the two chinese evergreens that I wanted to keep, one was a bit puny so was never sure about that but on removing from the pot, I could see the reason. Some of its roots were rotten from being too wet, the other plant was in good condition but needed a bigger pot. They are now temporarily in my utility room and are already starting to look bright

Plants can become floppy from overwatering. They can get brown leaves from being too dry or if the sun burns them, leaf drop if not happy. Before getting rid, gently slide out of their pots and have a good look at the roots, you may well find the cause there. I would re-pot after that and probably cut the plants down quite a bit, so they still look nice. This is the time of year to very much reduce watering, so mine have had their last watering last week and definitely no baby bio for a few weeks now

Leah50 Thu 15-Sep-22 12:24:33

Having successfully looked after all my houseplants for many years I'm having problems. Moved home a couple of months ago & brought some of my large green ones with me, the moving guys were very careful with them. I've tried to recreate the conditions they lived in before, but some are not doing well at all. Leaf drop, brown patches, floppiness etc. Should I cut my losses & let them go, or does anyone know if they're likely to recover from the shock? Thank you Gransnet