Gransnet forums

Gardening

I have a glut of Laxton Superb

(8 Posts)
Callistemon21 Sun 11-Sep-22 20:11:07

ExDancer I've done that with a glut of Bramleys. Most went in the freezer or dried in rings slowly in the oven but we like whole baked, stuffed apples.
They were individually wrapped and stored in single layers.
Some survived, others didn't.

I'm not sure if they will cook well but you could try and freeze. They may not need sugar.

grannysyb Sun 11-Sep-22 19:59:17

We have had lots of Bramleys, and Blenheim Orange, plus cookers from generous neighbours!! I've frozen and bottled them, now run out of freezer space and bottles, still a basket full staring at me reproachfully!

Esmay Sun 11-Sep-22 18:37:41

Hi Jeanie ,

Lucky you !

Laxtons date back to about 1897 .

Excellent advice - just make sure that you stack them very gently with air circulating between the newspapers .

I'd use lots of it .

And make sure that they are blemish free .
There are so many recipes to use up blemished apples after cutting out the damaged part :

Chutneys
Crumbles
Pies
Jam
In Brandy ...

jeanie99 Wed 24-Aug-22 14:22:42

Hi thank you for your suggestions. I would like to store them if possible as I eat 2 apples at least a day. The thing is not sure how to keep them only on level. Is it a problem stacking them, wrapped one on top of another.

Patsy70 Wed 24-Aug-22 12:29:11

If you decide not to cook a large amount and freeze, or compost them, why not put them on a table at the front of the house with an honesty box and donate to a local charity? Maybe make pies/crumbles/cakes for the neighbours? Obviously, depends how much time you have.

VB000 Wed 24-Aug-22 12:04:22

Ex Dancer - I remember doing that at my grand dad's... apples wrapped in newspaper kept really well for most of the winter in boxes or old wooden drawers, in the garage.

ExDancer Wed 24-Aug-22 11:54:07

Oh dear.
I remember my Mum carefully wrapping each one in newspaper and storing them in boxes (a single row in each shallow box) in our cold, dark farmhouse cellar.
It was my job to fold and tear the newspaper into suitable sizes. Each apple had to be perfect with no blemishes or bruises or bird and insect damage.
This was during ww2 so I was very young. I have no idea how long they lasted. I think I'd stew with sugar and freeze as many as I could manage now).
(we have a glut of plums, the branches are at breaking point. No June drop this year)

jeanie99 Wed 24-Aug-22 11:44:27

Advice please on storing these apples.