Gransnet forums

Gardening

Swallows and house martins

(6 Posts)
Fleurpepper Sun 21-Aug-22 11:23:23

I just love listening to their chatter. As we are having a new roof fitted (massive job) they love having the scaffolding and crane to play on. The young ones stand on it waiting to be fed. This morning, as the sunshine returned after a few days of rain, there are about 30+ flying around, chatting and chirping- just love to watch them and listen to them. Won't be long now. I shall miss them, until next year.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 21-Aug-22 11:47:32

There were a great many flying around and twittering this morning. I remarked to my husband that they will leave us next month. I always wish them a safe journey and hope they all return next year.

Septimia Sun 21-Aug-22 11:47:40

I love to hear them, too. We have nests under the eaves and the house martins are still using them. We often go outside befoe bed to look for hedgehogs or listen to the owls, and the house martins are chattering away.

FannyCornforth Sun 21-Aug-22 11:49:32

Mine were only here for two days.
There’s nothing for them to eat.
Usually it’s teeming with insects around here, but not this year.
It’s shocking, really worrying.

Blossoming Sun 21-Aug-22 11:59:32

Lots of them nesting under the swingbridge. I love to see them darting and diving.

nanna8 Sun 21-Aug-22 12:00:29

Maybe your unusual heat over there, Fanny? They do tend to disappear here when it is very hot but they come back in the cooler weather. Having said that ,we certainly don’t have as many bees and wasps as we used to get here, either. The tree frogs are back this year , though, so it’s not all bad !