Gransnet forums

Food

Is there a Home Economist in the House?

(6 Posts)
NotSpaghetti Tue 06-Dec-22 18:24:20

Oooh Sago!
Butter bargain!

Humbertbear Tue 06-Dec-22 18:22:05

I used to use dried beans but finally decided that the time and energy used in soaking and boiling made tins better value.

Sago Tue 06-Dec-22 18:12:41

Sorry I just buy Lidl/Aldi for convenience.
I can however tell you that a £2.30 carton of double cream made 14oz of butter, that’s a good saving!

NotSpaghetti Tue 06-Dec-22 17:58:50

I have just today sorted out my "dry beans cupboard" so I know I have 16 unopened varieties and several other (different) "open" packs too.
I have never compared the costs of tinned versus cooking them though - sorry.

I expect cheap "common" beans that are easily available may be cheaper in tins (eg. red kidney/chickpeas) but more expensive - say beluga lentils and the calypso/nuns beans are cheaper dry...
I have nothing to prove this!

Blossoming Tue 06-Dec-22 17:46:58

Sorry, can’t help. I use tinned ones from Lidl as it’s more convenient for me. It’s only if I’m wanting to make lentil soup that I get the dried ones. What is TFC, I haven’t come across that before?

OxfordGran Tue 06-Dec-22 17:04:58

who has possibly conducted their own tinned or dried pulses comparisons?
I have always used dried, most often from the TFC , mainly as the lentils, beans, come from the middle east and not Canada, However, I find the prices creeping up.
I have been buying tinned, from Asda mostly, now risen to 70p a tin for 400g. as are Tesco.
I can soak, boil for obligatory 10 mins, rinse, sink into my slow cooker and leave overnight on low. The boiling obviously creates steam, hence the fan on for ten minutes, more expense.
Now I read that the slow cooker rate is not as low as we were lead to believe !?
I cook more than I/we need of dried pulses to make the effort worthwhile, then cook and freeze.
Butter beans have been in short supply as are adzuki beans, wouldn’t you know, favourites in this house.