Gransnet forums

Food

Lidl frozen turkeys - any good?

(38 Posts)
NotTooOld Wed 02-Nov-22 11:45:18

Just that really. We are thinking of getting one but wondering what they are like. It's the large crown we are thinking of getting. Has anyone tried it?

MawtheMerrier Wed 18-Jan-23 10:43:18

I have no experience of their turkeys but my friend and neighbour brought me a roast chicken dinner she had cooked on Sunday afternoon (Lidl free range chicken) and it was the nicest, most tender and moist chicken I have had for years!

Arimathea005 Wed 18-Jan-23 10:12:35

Message withdrawn as it quotes a deleted post.

DeniseJimenez Wed 18-Jan-23 10:08:26

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Auntieflo Mon 26-Dec-22 13:55:51

Ilinn, that doesn't look right at all. I Googled, 'What is a Turkey Crown' and this description came up:-

A turkey crown is the body of the bird with the legs and wings removed, leaving the white breast meat attached to the bones.

So I would be inclined to take your photo into Lidl and ask the Manager what he thinks, especially as you have the photo of the packaging wrap.

ExperiencedNotOld Sun 25-Dec-22 19:48:45

Any turkey, however expensive (or cheap), fresh or frozen, just needs to rest for at least an hour after cooking to a maximum of the time recommended. Dry turkey is just over cooked and unrested. And yes, I’ve had Lidl turkey many times, Tesco this year.

Farmor15 Sun 25-Dec-22 19:16:44

Lidl frozen goose in our house this year - just 4 of us and enough left over for tomorrow. Delicious 😋

Mollygo Sun 25-Dec-22 18:35:22

Lidl turkey crown safely cooked and eaten here too.

Betsylee Sun 25-Dec-22 17:34:18

Husband and I have had roast beef today but have a Lidl turkey crown defrosting for tomorrow for the family so glad to know it's ok!
We buy their frozen chicken breasts and they are lovely.

Oldbat1 Sun 25-Dec-22 17:02:28

Normally we have a fresh Turkey but due to possible shortages decided to buy a frozen Lidl one. Very pleased to report it was delicious.

bevisp1 Sun 25-Dec-22 12:42:10

Well I have bought a frozen turkey crown from Lidl, I truly hope so at this very moment it is cooking for Christmas dinner.

1linn Sun 25-Dec-22 10:23:50

I have a medium Lidl turkey breast, but I feel conned. It included two thighs and half a neck which must have added a lo to the weight instead of all being breast meat.

Hetty58 Sat 12-Nov-22 08:22:33

I've got mine (for the family - I'm vegan) - just in case there's limited choice and vast expense later on. I'm sure it's the careful cooking that makes all the difference.

DaisyAlice Sat 12-Nov-22 08:11:50

Thanks for the brine suggestion. I'll give that a go this year. I also agree that Lidl have a good meat and poultry range. Currently enjoying their Belly Pork joints.

OnwardandUpward Fri 11-Nov-22 23:21:35

After buying expensive fresh turkeys that weren't that nice (bad experience of an OFF one) I have discovered that if you brine it in a nice mix (BBC food has ideas) and then slather it with butter, it will be delicious and moist.

www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/how-brine-turkey

OnwardandUpward Fri 11-Nov-22 23:16:20

We usually get the turkey out 24 hours early and keep it somewhere cool in a bucket of brine. You can get brine recipes. It makes the meat even more tasty, tender and helps prevent it going off.

DaisyAlice Fri 11-Nov-22 22:48:26

How long would I need to defrost a large crown for please? I followed instructions on packaging last year and was nowhere near thawed when needed.

OnwardandUpward Fri 11-Nov-22 22:05:51

Oh no grin Don't panic we have got AGES!

I'm not a fan of traditional Christmas foods... I prefer a gingerbread house to Christmas cake for example and I hate Christmas pudding. I don't mind mince pies though as long as they have Baileys cream on.

NotTooOld Thu 10-Nov-22 14:42:15

OnwardandUpward - oh hell, you've got me panicking again! grin

OnwardandUpward Sun 06-Nov-22 18:11:21

Nothing wrong with Lidl. We just put our turkey in the freezer yesterday.

After a bad experience with a (disgusting) fresh turkey a few years ago I prefer frozen. Also bought a Christmas pudding, Christmas cake and some other things.

NotTooOld Sun 06-Nov-22 16:24:37

Thanks, Lilliesmum.

Lilliesmum79 Sat 05-Nov-22 21:02:09

I've used Lidls frozen turkey crowns for last 4 yrs and find them excellent. Just make sure you leave it out long enough to defrost before cooking

NotTooOld Sat 05-Nov-22 17:41:03

Thanks all. I have been panicked into buying a Lidl large turkey crown, so I hope it is alright. It's taking up a lot of room in the freezer. DH and I don't eat meat so this is for visiting family. I panicked in case I could not get one later on. DH advised against also panicking about the Christmas pud so I didn't!

GanaAmrutha Fri 04-Nov-22 05:32:38

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Farzanah Thu 03-Nov-22 10:20:30

Visgir1

Vito

I ve heard from several people including those that work there, Lidl meat is the same as Mark's and Spencer

I have been told this too.

Thank you for this info Blossoming and it does say that Oakham Gold Chickens are exclusive to M&S Vito so I very much doubt this to be the case.

I try to be as ethical as is possible about animal welfare when buying meat, but it can be difficult to check their suppliers with many supermarkets.
I tend to think low price can be an indicator of poorer standards but I may be wrong.

Blossoming Wed 02-Nov-22 17:39:19

I looked at their welfare report Farzanah as I’m unable to visit any shops (and probably wouldn’t be able to read what it says on the wrapping anyway😂) and if I’ve read it right it does include turkeys, fresh and frozen.

corporate.marksandspencer.com/sites/marksandspencer/files/marks-spencer/agriculture-and-supporting/Animal_Welfare_Report_2022_V2.pdf