Gransnet forums

Food

I've been industrious!

(14 Posts)
CanadianGran Tue 01-Nov-22 19:53:48

minimoon, your jelly looks beautiful. I don't know that I've ever tasted crabapple jelly. but will put it on my list if I see some.

ginny - love how tidy your tarts look. Do you make the mincemeat, or buy it in jars?

Redhead56 Tue 01-Nov-22 19:29:20

Well done I make jams pickles and chutney a lot. It's something I have found so pleasurable for years. I make syrups too (nice mixed with sparkling wine for special occasion).
With squashes take out the centre mix with meat rice more veg stuff and bake until cooked through.

Forsythia Tue 01-Nov-22 16:36:44

Soup perhaps?

ginny Tue 01-Nov-22 16:35:24

MiniMoon

ginny, how are you going to use your squashes? I ask because I bought a green and yellow one like yours and have no idea what to make with it.

I have no idea either but it would be a shame to waste them.
anybody have any ideas ?

MiniMoon Tue 01-Nov-22 15:43:31

Earlier in the summer my DH was given loads of raspberries. I made jam from them. I've made a lot of jam over the years, but never crab apple jelly.
I remember my mother making it. She always fretted about whether it was at setting point. The advent of the digital thermometer has taken the guess work out of it.

Blondiescot Tue 01-Nov-22 14:31:31

I've made loads of jam this year - apple, rhubarb and ginger; black forest; apple and bramble; apple and plum; spiced plum and sour cherry, but I've never tackled jelly. Might put that on the list for next year.

Auntieflo Tue 01-Nov-22 14:23:08

MiniMoon, your jelly looks so beautifully clear. I wish we had a crab apple tree in our garden.

Ginny, a lovely autumn arrangement.
You are a clever lot!

M0nica Tue 01-Nov-22 14:18:18

If it hadn't rained this morning I would have been up a ladder harvesting my crop of crab apples.

I make bramble jelly, with the addtion of blackberries, picked and frozen in August also herb jellys, mint and sage and occasionally rosemary.

Forsythia Tue 01-Nov-22 13:36:24

Yes I’ve made apple and mint jelly, also apple, red wine and rosemary. Delicious with cheese, cooked meats, pate and biscuits etc. all from our garden.

MiniMoon Tue 01-Nov-22 13:31:40

ginny, how are you going to use your squashes? I ask because I bought a green and yellow one like yours and have no idea what to make with it.

ginny Tue 01-Nov-22 13:26:26

Sounds delicious !
I’ve been productive this morning too. 5 dozen mince pies destined for the freezer and an Autumn flower arrangement.

Blondiescot Tue 01-Nov-22 13:20:27

Oh, lovely! Apple and mint jelly is also delicious.

B9exchange Tue 01-Nov-22 13:10:28

I envy you your tree, crab apple jelly is lovely, it wouldn't last long in our household. Nothing like it with roast pork, and goes well with pate or cheese too.

MiniMoon Tue 01-Nov-22 12:46:04

We have a small crab apple tree that was loaded with fruit. DH picked 3 lbs. I made jelly.
I've never made it before, it's good.