Gransnet forums

Food

Pickled Eggs

(10 Posts)
begbrook1 Tue 25-Oct-22 16:31:26

I always used Sarson's white pickling vinegar (in a big jar) for my eggs but this year I haven't been able to find it in supermarkets. It is still pictured on the Sarson's website but does anyone know if it has been discontinued? If so what can I use instead please as I don't want to have to buy lots of different spices.

kircubbin2000 Tue 25-Oct-22 18:48:14

Why would you pickle an egg?

Calendargirl Tue 25-Oct-22 18:52:12

kircubbin2000

Why would you pickle an egg?

Why not?

Never had one personally, but you see them for sale in fish and chip shops and pubs.

Shirleyw Tue 25-Oct-22 18:57:07

Sainsburys has the classic sarsons pickling malt vinegar, have you tried that? I have and its fine, i also pickle eggs in white pickling vinegar....love pickled eggs....dipped in salt.....delish....

Jaxjacky Tue 25-Oct-22 19:00:06

I’d just buy white vinegar and add spices.

RichmondPark1 Tue 25-Oct-22 19:42:07

I buy it from our local greengrocer. You take in a bottle and they fill it from a big plastic barrel. Not sure if they have it all year round but they definitely do in pickling season.

kircubbin2000 People used to pickle eggs to preserve them for periods when hens weren't laying. They're not for everyone but I love them!! Brilliant with cold meat and chips.

Prentice Tue 25-Oct-22 23:40:54

I have tried eating one, many years ago and thought it the most disgusting thing ever.
I enjoy normal eggs though.

NotSpaghetti Wed 26-Oct-22 00:06:07

I love pickled eggs!

I buy ready-mixed picking spice and use it in white or malt vinegar as required. There are lots of options regarding spice mixes:

www.google.com/search?q=pickling+spices&oq=pickling+spices&aqs=chrome..69i57.6547j0j7&client=ms-android-samsung-ss&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8&chrome_dse_attribution=1#scso=_XmtYY7zaBNuThbIPprK_KA_19:0

grannydarkhair Wed 26-Oct-22 00:27:11

I love boiled eggs, I love pickled onions, gherkins and walnuts but oddly the thought of a pickled egg turns my stomach.

Greyduster Wed 26-Oct-22 07:50:48

I’ve never eaten a pickled egg either, but I was once persuaded to try a piece of “thousand year old” egg. It was unbelievably horrible but considering what they did to preserve them it was not surprising!