Gransnet forums

Food

Sticky gingerbread…

(19 Posts)
Witzend Sun 23-Oct-22 18:52:00

….does anyone else make this around Halloween/Bonfire Night time? My mother always did and I’ve kept up the tradition - I’d make it more often but it’s a bit lethal for the waistline - all that sugar, golden syrup and treacle…. Which reminds me, I need to stock up with those last two.

One and a half times my very old Mary Berry recipe fits nicely in my 25 x 20 cm shallow tin, and the finished product fits perfectly in one of the M&S shortbread tins that they always have before Christmas. Very handy!

Yammy Sun 23-Oct-22 19:10:30

I used to when the family were at home and the neighbours had a Bonfire party. Not anymore too morish for the two of us.

MiniMoon Sun 23-Oct-22 19:12:57

I used to make gingerbread when my children were still at home. Not so much these days, but when I do, I share it with DD and grandchildren.

Callistemon21 Sun 23-Oct-22 19:26:29

DM used to make a lovely ginger cake; she called it ginger parkin although she didn't put any oatmeal in it.
It was sticky, delicious and very light.

Yammy Sun 23-Oct-22 19:42:14

Callistemon21

DM used to make a lovely ginger cake; she called it ginger parkin although she didn't put any oatmeal in it.
It was sticky, delicious and very light.

I think mine was a sticky Delia's Parkin I had to get Pin? wheel or meal oats to put in it. One year the neighbour's young son sneaked in and ate quite a lot of it. He was punished by the effect on his tummy and had to miss a day of school.smile

Fleur20 Sun 23-Oct-22 20:03:40

Much as it sticks(!) in my craw... cant stand her... Nigellas sticky gingerbread is sublime... keep it well wrapped for a few days to get sticky!!

Redhead56 Sun 23-Oct-22 20:13:20

I love sticky gingerbread I have made Nigellas as well as Mary’s both are lovely. I made it for a Christmas dinner one year at our sons house. I dusted it with icing sugar little reindeer and trees it looked lovely and went down a treat. I make this anytime of year for a weekend treat as I don’t eat desserts in the week.

Norah Sun 23-Oct-22 20:36:06

Today I made gingerbread for the first time this autumn.

Fantastic. Our GC had fun decorating, a little competition.

lixy Mon 24-Oct-22 09:37:35

We love a good sticky gingerbread and it never seems to last long - somehow word gets around that some has been made and family and friends just happen to be passing!
I use Mary Berry's recipe and add a bit of chopped stem ginger from a jar.

Gingerbread people are also practically a staple food here - but that's a whole different story.

Squiffy Mon 24-Oct-22 10:14:16

Does anyone have a good gluten free recipe for sticky gingerbread, please?

Apart from fresh crusty ‘normal’ bread, ginger cake is the one thing I crave! sad

dogsmother Mon 24-Oct-22 10:20:06

I love Parkin and I love gingerbread but so different. Parkin needs leaving to become sticky and gingerbread needs eating to stop it becoming dry ?

Redhead56 Mon 24-Oct-22 12:05:00

Squiffy go onto The gluten free blogger website lots of recipe ideas including sticky ginger cake my brothers favourite.

travelsafar Mon 24-Oct-22 12:09:02

A friend of mine made a beautiful ginger cake a couple of weeks ago and gave me a slice....refused anymore as so high in calories. It was delicous and i am thinking of making one for Xmas and decoratig with plain icing and xmas figures that i have. None of my family enjoy traditional fruit cake so this may be the solution.smile

Patsy70 Mon 24-Oct-22 17:54:14

I make a sticky stem ginger cake with lemon icing, which is hugely popular with the family. It’s on the BBC Good Food website.

Blondiescot Mon 24-Oct-22 18:23:58

Sssshhhh, but if anyone is looking for a shortcut, the Wright's Ginger Cake mix (you can get it in most supermarkets, I think) is pretty decent. I usually add a little bit more ground ginger and cinnamon and a little of the syrup from stem ginger, and my inlaws swear it's the best gingerbread they've had (and they're quite picky!)

Squiffy Wed 26-Oct-22 13:34:55

Redhead Thank you, I’ll check that out!

Prentice Wed 26-Oct-22 16:37:42

I am going to look up ginger cake recipes now, it is ages since I tasted any, and yes it is delicious if the baker is a good one.

Callistemon21 Wed 26-Oct-22 16:42:13

I wish I had my Mum's recipe.

wetflannel Sun 06-Nov-22 21:08:15

I researched a vegan ginger cake recipe and made it, gave to admit it was sublimely sticky and tasty.