Gransnet forums

Food

Easy light summer dessert

(14 Posts)
mrsmopp Sun 22-Jun-14 17:41:46

Have agreed to provide dessert for a lunch group this week. I was going to do a trifle but having second thoughts at the last minute. Any suggestions? I'd like to try a lemon cheesecake if anyone has a recipe but am open to any suggestions. Mind's gone blank as all I can think of are crumbles etc which are too wintery and heavy.

suebailey1 Sun 22-Jun-14 17:46:34

How about Eton mess? you could buy merengue if you don't have time to make them but they are really easy and make it a bit different by sieving some squashed raspberries over the merengue and strawberries - if you can be very bold a little booze would add a kick.

Crow Sun 22-Jun-14 18:12:59

Or fruit salad if it is hot. Kiwi, mango, melon and whatever else you fancy, that makes a lovely summer pudding. Oh and a bit of mint!!

kittylester Sun 22-Jun-14 18:41:27

Eton Mess [drool]

TriciaF Sun 22-Jun-14 19:01:17

Cheesecake is delicious, though I wouldn't call it light.
I made one recently, used a thin sponge base instead of greasy biscuits. Bake sponge in a lined tin, or you could just make it with bought sponge fingers or flan case. The lining needs to be about 2ins high.
For the topping:
Mix 1lb cream cheese, quarter pint single cream, 3 tbsp cornflour mixed with juice of 2 lemons, 5 eggs.
Pour on top of the sponge and bake in a low oven (ours is gas, mark 3) for 1 and a half to 2 hours, until the top is set. Turn off oven and leave until cool.

annodomini Sun 22-Jun-14 19:14:03

I like to add some dry vermouth to a fresh fruit salad. Adds that 'little something'. You could make a summer pudding, served with cream or vanilla ice cream.

Silverfish Sun 22-Jun-14 19:42:26

anyone got an idea for a dessert that's not got much fat, not got any sugar, additives or salt. That will be my kind of pud.

TriciaF Sun 22-Jun-14 20:00:11

I forgot sugar in my cheesecake recipe - about 4 oz.
Silverfish - I used to make a fruit salad with pineapple orange and coarsely grated coconut. that would suit your tadte.

Gagagran Sun 22-Jun-14 20:23:19

Summer pudding made in a shallow flat dish is my stand by for larger gatherings. I use the frozen packs of berries and add fresh chopped strawberries. There's never any left!

Icyalittle Sun 22-Jun-14 20:24:10

Single colour fruit salads look (and taste) great. Strawberries, raspberries, watermelon, pomegranate seeds or blueberries, with a dash of red vermouth or crème de cassis if you like. Or orange, apricot, cantaloupe melon with a little chopped mint. You can serve a plate of tiny meringues by the side for sweet tooths.

rosesarered Sun 22-Jun-14 20:30:22

YUM! smile All of these suggestions sound great.

shysal Sun 22-Jun-14 21:01:02

easy lemon cheesecake
Condensed milk is now available in a light version, which works just as well as the original. I also make a similar tart or sponge flan without the cheese. The lemon thickens the milk.

shysal Sun 22-Jun-14 21:07:33

This is another simple dessert which can be served in individual disposable wine glasses. I also like it made with cooked (or tinned) rhubarb or tinned peaches.
carnation fruit fool

mrsmopp Mon 23-Jun-14 00:35:58

Delighted to find lots of ideas on the Carnation website so many thanks for this tip. I think I knew about Carnation recipes many years ago but I had completely forgotten about it.
Our lunch group meets on a regular basis so all the ideas on here will be kept for future reference, avoiding that awful last minute panicky "what can I make??" when the mind goes completely blank. We've all been there, so thanks so muchfor all your brilliant replies.
I knew I could rely on Gransnet!