Gransnet forums

Food

Recipes from South-West France?

(7 Posts)
Rowantree Wed 04-Jun-14 23:02:20

Can anyone recommend a good, not-too-difficult to follow recipe book on French cooking, preferably regional/from the Perigord/Dordogne area? I'm getting confused trawling Amazon and don't know which book to go for. I'd like country-style recipes mainly rather than nouvelle cuisine - casseroles, soups, desserts, pates.There's one book of Perigord recipes on Amazon but it's in French and I'm not sure my rusty French is up to the challenge!

janerowena Wed 04-Jun-14 23:16:24

I could kick myself, I gave away a whole set of regional books and I can't even remember who published them, but they were ancient.

Was the one you saw this?

www.amazon.co.uk/Carnets-cuisine-Du-P%C3%A9rigord-l%C2%92Elys%C3%A9e/dp/2227486074

It's lovely. Have you clicked on a sample of the book to see if you can understand it? I think that you could cope, because you would only have to look up each word once and write it down and you would have made your own cookery terms dictionary.

Rowantree Wed 04-Jun-14 23:40:17

No, it was this one:

www.amazon.co.uk/Recipes-Perigord-Recettes-Ma-Grand-Mere/dp/2862533904/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1401921478&sr=1-1&keywords=perigord+recipes

but thank you for the link - I haven't seen that one. I will have a good look at the samples and see if I could manage it! I was hoping for an English version but there isn't one.

Mamie Thu 05-Jun-14 05:51:09

We have always used Paula Wolfert: The Cooking of South-West France. Very good and well-written, with lots of background information.

Oldgreymare Thu 05-Jun-14 10:51:56

Rick Stein, following his TV prog about a narrowboat journey along the Canal du Midi.
The melon, tomato and cucumber salad with a mint dressing is a real family favourite.

TriciaF Fri 06-Jun-14 10:46:39

Elizabeth David's French Provincial Cooking - covers other parts of France, but it's one of those books I can read over and over, I like her style of writing.

Rowantree Fri 06-Jun-14 17:59:40

Will check that one out too, Tricia. Looks as though I have a lot to choose from! Thank you all for the suggestions smile