Gransnet forums

Food

cupcakes

(12 Posts)
Silverfish Mon 26-May-14 20:00:29

Can anyone suggest the best way to ice cupcakes, ive tried with a rigid thing like a syringe and it takes the whole syringe to ice one cupcake. I tried with a soft plastic holder and with the heat of my hands the icing just melts (butter icing). I used a cake mix and found there was only enough icing to go on one and and a half cakes. I can do them with water based icing, by spreading it with a knife and drizzling little sparkles on top but its not the same as the ones seen in magazines which have high peaks with piped icing which presumably does not fall off as mine does. Any advice

JessM Mon 26-May-14 20:04:49

Just don't. Cake does not need its own volume of sugar piled on top.

annodomini Mon 26-May-14 20:08:10

It always looks like shaving foam to me!

whenim64 Mon 26-May-14 20:26:28

If you've got a food mixer, whip the butter and icing sugar for absolutely ages till it's full of air, for at least five minutes (add a splash of milk if it's too stiff) and use a large piping bag with a whopping great big nozzle. Flavour or colour as you like.

shysal Mon 26-May-14 20:57:24

Neat ideas icing set
I have one of these. They do use quite a lot of icing, but some nozzles more than others, it is a question of trial and error. The one which leaves a gap in the middle means you can fill the hole with jam, a sweet or any decoration. If in a hurry I cheat using Betty Crocker icing, just about managing to top 24 cakes from one tub.
Good luck! I have to confess to enjoying a generously topped cake!

shysal Mon 26-May-14 21:04:26

neat ideas icing set
Sorry messes up link!

Silverfish Thu 29-May-14 22:34:37

might do that, whenim64, thanks

HollyDaze Thu 29-May-14 22:47:50

I think the Americans use cream cheese and icing sugar to ice their fairy cakes and that tends to sit well and holds the shape of the icing.

annodomini Thu 29-May-14 22:53:49

I couldn't believe what I saw in the Lakeland shop yesterday: cup cake corers! Apparently you are supposed to bake the things, then take out the middle with the corer and stuff the hole with something frothy/creamy. What do you do with the bit you take out?

Silverfish Thu 29-May-14 22:56:00

Anything I do just goes all soft and squishy, I made some the other day with just choc chips and no icing and the bairn loved them so might do that. Doctor oetker (cant spell) does an aerosol with icing but its so tiny and costs £4.00 so ive never tried it-too expensive. might be easier and cheaper to just buy the wretched things

Silverfish Thu 29-May-14 22:57:06

Anno, you put it back on top of the jam or cream, ive seen them but to be honest I would just like to successfully ice the buggers

Silverfish Thu 29-May-14 22:57:48

Oh dear forgive me GNHQ for the swear word I will be back on the naughty step tomorrow