Gransnet forums

Food

Spring vegetable soup....

(16 Posts)
Dragonfly1 Tue 06-May-14 09:35:33

What would you expect a bowl of spring veg soup to look like? We ate out last night at a relatively new gastropub and I ordered the soup. Either I'm losing the plot or they are. Tell me what it should look and taste like them I'll tell you what I got.....

janerowena Tue 06-May-14 11:57:03

Fresh, green, maybe a light chicken stock base or a good veg stock base, with a few pretty sprigs of something, maybe a heart's ease and a sprig of parsley?

Please don't tell me it was a clear broth with half a dozen peas and a couple of baby broad beans in it!

glammanana Tue 06-May-14 11:57:35

I'll give my version and see if we match up ? I would expect to see diced spring onions,peppers of yellow and red,small diced spring cabbage,diced new potato,celery diced,leeks and tender small broad beans served with a choice of fresh coriander/parsley for dressing,the consistancy should be a thinner one than normal and have rolls to accompany.You should be able to close your eyes and taste the "Spring" in your mouth but I guess you are going to amaze me aren't you ?

Dragonfly1 Tue 06-May-14 12:54:45

It was thick, lumpy and pale yuck in colour. I expected a broth type of soup, with recognisable bits of veg in, not a dish of wallpaper paste that tasted of nothing much. Surely that couldn't have been spring veg???

janerowena Tue 06-May-14 13:01:42

I think I'd be tempted to ring them up and ask.

Dragonfly1 Tue 06-May-14 13:02:23

Was just thinking I might do that.

glammanana Tue 06-May-14 13:26:12

It should have been a light texture as opposed to thick certainly should not be as you have described,mind you we are wall papering again next week and may be able to take some off their hands grin
Certainly ring and complain about it they should be told, could you have not sent it back when it was served or where you with company.

Ana Tue 06-May-14 13:32:18

I'm wondering whether they just put the ingredients (whatever they were!) in a blender...

janerowena Tue 06-May-14 13:39:18

I bet they did!

A friend of mine made nettle soup the other week. It was delicious, made in a blender - and very light. So I think whatever you had was probably padded out with leftover potatoes!

Dragonfly1 Tue 06-May-14 15:50:45

It was my treat for my SiL's 40th birthday, glamma so I didn't want to fuss. I have emailed them today, so I'll see whether I get a response. I think they'd served up leek and potato, which was on their menu last week - but even then, I wouldn't expect soup to be so thick that it could be chewed!

Dragonfly1 Tue 06-May-14 17:34:01

Well, I was right to question the soup... in reply to my email, they admit it was leek, potato and asparagus, and should never have been called 'spring veg'! In the deputy manager's words, it should have been '..a broth, with light, delicate flavours.' We'd also questioned two of the desserts, which were brought out incomplete. The response from the pub was a very full and apologetic one, with an offer of a free meal for two by way of recompense. Nice one.

MiniMouse Tue 06-May-14 18:18:19

That's good news smile It's definitely worth complaining, if you are justified in doing so. I take the coward's way out and email rather than confront them at the time!

We recently had an 'incident' at our local pizza restaurant involving the Deputy Manager and I sent a very polite email to the company explaining that we were regulars and had always had wonderful service and food in the past and, that when we bumped into staff in town we always had a chat with them. Unfortunately, the same could not be said for the new DM, who had been at best indifferent and at worst rude (I'm being polite there!). They responded immediately via the local Manager. We were invited to the restaurant and offered a free meal and drinks and the Manager came in especially, on her evening off, to meet and greet us. In fact, the staff were so attentive that it became embarrassing! I emailed again, after a much happier visit, to leave very positive feedback.

Mishap Tue 06-May-14 18:47:22

This is what is known in the trade as "leftovers soup."

Dragonfly1 Tue 06-May-14 18:52:14

It certainly is worth complaining - I had a moan to John Lewis at the weekend because they'd 'lost' my order and their customer service was, in my opinion, very poor. Result? Huge apology and 20% refund. And item delivered pronto. smile

Dragonfly1 Tue 06-May-14 18:54:06

I agree Mishap - left over leek and potato from Sunday with some asparagus chucked in as a nod to 'spring'!

janerowena Tue 06-May-14 20:34:32

It's just not good enough - but I'm glad it had such a good outcome.