Gransnet forums

Food

Oranges

(20 Posts)
JessM Sat 22-Mar-14 12:10:11

For years I neglected this wonderful fruit. Back on 'em now. Moroccan oranges are in season. Just had a delicious one - Asda 5 for £1!
Do you peel 'em and eat them segment at a time or cut them in quarters and slurp?

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 22-Mar-14 13:00:26

Sometimes I squeeze the juice out and drink. Then cut the two halves of peel in half to make quarters, and gnaw the remaining fibrous bits off. This is a good plan if they are a bit sharp.

At the moment I am on tangerines, which are mostly sweet and juicy, and easy to peel.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 22-Mar-14 13:01:30

That method should only be employed when you are alone.

janeainsworth Sat 22-Mar-14 14:19:46

I went off oranges too because they were always so sour.
I think they're sweeter now - don't know if this is because growers are using different varieties, or they are using different ripening techniques.

rosequartz Sat 22-Mar-14 14:56:08

I peel them and eat them segment by segment.

When I was young my mother used to cut them in half and sprinkle just a little sugar on them, I then used to dig my teeth in and slurp! Then turn the halves inside out to get the very last of it. I suppose they hadn't been available for a long time then.
Best done alone if I tried it now I think, perhaps OK if you're 7 or 8.

NfkDumpling Sat 22-Mar-14 15:45:24

Segments in public, cut and slurp when alone. One has to maintain some standards.

goldengirl Sat 22-Mar-14 15:54:48

I like the little easy peelers. Could eat loads of those.

MrsJamJam Sat 22-Mar-14 16:16:06

Very special treat at my Grandma's was to have a whole orange with a square cut out of the top into which she pushed a sugar lump, we were then allowed to sit in the garden sucking all the juice from the orange through the sugar cube. Felt soooo wicked!

kittylester Sat 22-Mar-14 16:28:00

My Dad used to let us do that too MrsJamJam - it was a real treat! sunshine

Marelli Sat 22-Mar-14 19:17:41

I peel them and eat them in segments. A sour orange can be sweetened by sprinkling a wee bit of salt over it. smile

thatbags Sat 22-Mar-14 19:51:58

That's interesting, marelli! Must remember that.

My mum used to halve oranges for us and cut about a third of the peel off each half so we could suck the juice out. We always had to eat them in the garden. Can't think why wink!

janeainsworth Sat 22-Mar-14 19:55:40

Cut oranges always remind me of school netball matches!

annodomini Sat 22-Mar-14 20:47:29

The safest place to eat a juicy orange is in the bath. Just think - soft music, candles, lots of scented foam... and an orange!

rosequartz Sat 22-Mar-14 20:50:22

Or a big very juicy peach ...

rosesarered Sat 22-Mar-14 20:59:37

or a chocolate orange?

JessM Sat 22-Mar-14 21:51:37

Or... a juicy mango - done that a few times grin

gillybob Sat 22-Mar-14 23:09:04

I adore oranges (are they the only fruit?) always have. The trouble is I can't stop at one. I tend to peel, segment and suck. shock

Hunt Sat 22-Mar-14 23:19:19

Any one see Mary Berry making fruit salad the other evening? She peeled off the skin and inner membrane with a knife, then hooked out the segments into a bowl. I've done this for years but never seen anyone else doing oranges this way. It's rather messy but such a treat - no chewy bits.

Flowerofthewest Sat 22-Mar-14 23:48:53

Or... naked in the sink Jingle grin

Stansgran Sun 23-Mar-14 12:00:27

Anyone remember the Cranford ladies taking their oranges to eat in the privacy of the bedroom?