Gransnet forums

Food

Aubergine - cooking tip

(15 Posts)
Grannyknot Sat 22-Mar-14 08:50:49

I love aubergine, or eggplant, or brinjal as it is known where I used to come from, but it has always seemed a bit fiddly to cook.

Came across this the other night in one if my "app" recipes: take a whole aubergine and roast it over an open flame for about 12 minutes (I did it on the hob using a wire grill). You have to keep turning it and get the flame just right, quite fun.

When it is all blackened and squishy to the touch, slice open lengthwise and scoop the cooked flesh out. It was delicious! Sweet and full of flavour and perfectly cooked. I had to discard the flesh towards the thin end, the flame didn't get there.

It went into a pan with chorizo sausages, onion and tomato and slices of par boiled potato chucked in towards the end. Oh yes and I added some spinach leaves.

Super yummy one pan meal.

MiceElf Sat 22-Mar-14 09:00:54

Try slicing one and baking the slices on a oiled tray. Add to toasted pieces of baguette or other good bread with the audition of some tomatoes baked alongside with garlic and very thinly sliced courgette. Sprinkle with olive oil and garnish with fresh basil leaves.

Iam64 Sat 22-Mar-14 12:48:37

Does anyone put salt on the slices of aubergine, then put a heavy plate on top of them, thus allowing juice to depart the plant> Lots of recipes recommend this, as it helps the flavour. I confess - I can't tell the difference.

Grannyknot Sat 22-Mar-14 12:51:22

Naw, I am64, I don't bother with that.

Mice, that sounds tasty!

MiceElf Sat 22-Mar-14 12:54:04

No Iam. It used to be recommended many years ago as old varieties sometimes had a bitter taste. New improved varieties don't.

For aubergine lovers there are many wonderful recipes in Caudia Roden's Book of Middle Eastern Cookery.

mollie Sat 22-Mar-14 12:54:23

I heard that the need to salt them has been bred out in recent years. I stopped doing it and can't taste the difference.

rosequartz Sat 22-Mar-14 12:55:05

I used to do that, iam64, but don't bother any more. They don't seem to need it.

Nice just sliced and done in a (little) olive oil on hotplate of the bbq

janeainsworth Sat 22-Mar-14 12:56:48

I love Brinjal pickle, nicer than very sharp lime or oversweet mango.
I'll try your tip GK and yours, MiceElf.
<goes off to kitchen, mouth watering>

Mamie Sat 22-Mar-14 14:38:21

We barbecue aubergines whole, along with peppers, courgettes and onions. When they are blackened and cooked we put them (separately) into brown paper bags for about 15 minutes then remove the skin and slice and cover with olive oil, salt and pepper. We first had this in Catalunya where it is known as escalivada.
As an accompaniment to curry, I cut aubergine into batons, rub with turmeric, chilli powder and a bit of salt, leave for a couple of hours and then cook on an oven tray with a bit of olive oil.

Nelliemoser Sat 22-Mar-14 15:08:19

They really do need to be cooked very fast at a high temperature until they are "squishy".
I have had a number of grilled or spit roasted Aubergines that have been inedible. The term "as tough as old boots" comes to mind. They are nice when done properly though.

annodomini Sat 22-Mar-14 15:36:50

Cut into cubes, put into a freezer bag with mixture of spices - cumin, coriander, turmeric, chilli....whatever, plus ground black pepper. Shake it about and allow aubergine to absorb the spices. Heat oil in frying pan or wok and fast fry. I might have adapted that from Madhur Jaffrey. Have done something similar with potatoes.

Mamie Sat 22-Mar-14 15:43:13

If you do them on an oven tray, you use far less oil, Anno. I always do them that way for a moussaka too.

Iam64 Sat 22-Mar-14 16:25:11

That sounds delicious, and wonderfully easy anno, thanks

Grannyknot Sat 22-Mar-14 17:10:38

Hi Mamie I'll give that a try, I find they really soak up oil when you fry them.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Sun 23-Mar-14 09:19:52

In an attempt to eat less meat, I tried these aubergine/humous grills last week and it took minutes and was super simple. Definitely an underrated vegetable IMO!