Gransnet forums

Food

Cookery question

(10 Posts)
yogagran Thu 27-Feb-14 16:39:55

I've got all the ingredients for a steak & kidney pudding which I had planned to make tomorrow.
Now I discover that I'm going to be out most of the day so won't be able to prepare it in the morning. Can I get it all ready tonight and leave it in the pudding basin all ready to cook? Will anything drastic happen to the suet on the outside?
Finally, can I cook it in the slow cooker, putting it in first thing in the morning and leaving it there all day?

Flowerofthewest Thu 27-Feb-14 17:41:31

You could cook the meat in the slow cooker all day, not sure about the suet pastry though.

thatbags Thu 27-Feb-14 17:50:07

What about cooking it tonight and reheating/resteaming tomorrow?

merlotgran Thu 27-Feb-14 17:51:44

It should be OK if it's kept cold in the fridge overnight. If you are cooking the meat before making the pudding you will have to make sure the filling is cold before putting it all together. Do you have a pressure cooker which will speed up the steaming when you get home?

glammanana Thu 27-Feb-14 18:02:38

You can certainly cook the meat in the slow cooker as Flower has said,but leave the suet pastry until you get home then cook in slow cooer for about an hour,will give you time to do veg and get yourself sorted after your day out,just make sure the top of the pastry does not get too wet or it will become soggy (nothing worse than soggy suet pastry).best of luck sounds delish !

yogagran Thu 27-Feb-14 18:18:33

Problem is that I shall be pushed for time when I get home. Normally I would put the browned meat straight into the suet basin with the onions, gravy etc and let the whole thing just simmer away for several hours.
Really wanted to do the whole thing this evening and put it on the fridge, uncooked, till tomorrow. I could do it tonight bags but I'm due out to dog training in an hour or so.
Think I may have to leave it till Saturday when I should be home more

yogagran Thu 27-Feb-14 18:22:06

I do have a pressure cooker merlot but I've found that for something like this it cooks too fast (yes, iI know that is the point of a p.cooker!) and doesn't give the flavours time to mix

Nonu Thu 27-Feb-14 18:24:24

Exactly what I would have said Yoga , leave for another day when you have more time !
[daffodil}

yogagran Thu 27-Feb-14 18:54:39

Ok - problem now solved, thanks to bags. Gave myself a stern talking to "just how long does it take to chop a couple of onions, brown the meat and get everything in the oven". It's now cooking gently in the oven till I get home later this evening and I'll get the suet pastry done when I get home tomorrow. grin

I've always used Atora suet - have any of you ever used fresh butchers suet?

Galen Thu 27-Feb-14 19:38:16

My gran used to. I remember her grating it. She made the best dumplings ever. Large fluffy canon balls, but so light and tasty. Mother couldn't make them at all. Mine aren't bad but I use atora light, and they're not a patch on my grans. I'm drooling thinking of them.