Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

Angela Rippon

(80 Posts)
BrandyGran Mon 25-Sep-23 19:43:17

Do you think Angela is wise to do Strictly or not- discuss.

vintage1950 Mon 25-Sep-23 19:48:55

Good for her. Why not?

Grandmadinosaur Mon 25-Sep-23 19:53:26

Why not indeed? If I was in the shape she is I’d jump at the chance too. She has says she wished they’d asked her to do it 10 years ago.

Shelflife Mon 25-Sep-23 20:00:02

I wish her well , good for her ........ however if I am honest I am not sure it was a wise idea.

crazyH Mon 25-Sep-23 20:02:24

I wish I could throw my legs around like that 💃

Casdon Mon 25-Sep-23 20:07:00

A prerequisite for threads like this is to tell us what you think yourself BrandyGran?

Yes, I do. I think she is an amazing example of an older woman who has looked after herself and been fortunate health wise, and she will help to burst some of the age prejudice beliefs that younger people wrongly have. Good on her. 💃

Ziplok Mon 25-Sep-23 20:12:37

Yes, good for her. If she can do it, why not? Wish I was as fit 😁.

Serendipity22 Mon 25-Sep-23 20:14:48

Absolutely GOOD ON HER...

💃 💃 💃 💃 💃 💃 💃

BrandyGran Mon 25-Sep-23 20:30:34

I am the same age and not overweight but no way fit like Angela but anything like gardening or stretching up to clean cupboards results in aches and pains. I worry that she will do damage which will stay with her for a long time after the exhilaration of Strictly is over. She herself said she wished they had asked her ten years ago.

Doodledog Mon 25-Sep-23 20:33:19

Didn't she present it at the start? I can't see why not - good for her if she's fit enough.

Deedaa Mon 25-Sep-23 20:58:19

Good for her I say. How far she gets will depend how good the younger ones turn out to be but at least it will show some of them that we don't all need to be written off.

Shelflife Mon 25-Sep-23 21:03:19

I agree we don't need to be written off! but if Angela Rippon has an injury during strictly it could take a very long time to heal. I think she is being very brave but perhaps a little foolish.

BrandyGran Mon 25-Sep-23 21:10:52

My thoughts entirely Shelflife!

MerylStreep Mon 25-Sep-23 21:12:26

I don’t like to be instructed to - discuss
If it was a request, ie would you like to discuss, can we discuss, then yes, I would but not - discuss.

BrandyGran Mon 25-Sep-23 21:17:51

I certainly didn’t mean it in a bossy way!

Grannynannywanny Mon 25-Sep-23 21:18:29

I think she’s amazing and I hope she does well in the competition and avoids injury. When Kai was raising her straight leg to that mind boggling level I had a flash back to my childhood. Every time I did that to my straight legged Barbie her leg came off in my hand 😆

Shelflife Mon 25-Sep-23 21:49:59

Don't think BrandyGran intended to be authoritarian, rather wanting our views .
I wish Angela Rippon good luck and sincerely hope my fear for her is not justified! I do know that muscles / tendons are not easy to repair in older people.

Mollygo Mon 25-Sep-23 22:10:01

Hope it all goes well for her.
Although I don’t expect her to win, I’d rather she tried than be written off as too old. There’s too much of that in life.

merlotgran Mon 25-Sep-23 22:15:10

She has says she wished they’d asked her to do it 10 years ago

I’m amazed they didn’t.

Calendargirl Tue 26-Sep-23 02:11:37

merlotgran

^She has says she wished they’d asked her to do it 10 years ago^

I’m amazed they didn’t.

Yes, because they definitely seem to be scraping the barrel to come up with contestants that are familiar to most of us.

Angela would have been an obvious choice with her Morecombe and Wise appearance and Come Dancing history.

Desdemona Tue 26-Sep-23 09:35:02

I like that Angela is in it and hope she does well. I don't think she will go on too far into the competition because although she danced quite well there are some insanely good dancers who even in week 1 are obviously going to go far.
She seems sensible and makes a good team with Kai so I think they will work carefully to avoid injury. Hope so anyway.

henetha Tue 26-Sep-23 09:41:53

I think it's great that Angela is up for this. I think she has always kept herself fit and in good condition. So I hope she does well.
But there are some brilliant dancers this year, so its anyone's game.

Baggs Tue 26-Sep-23 09:59:13

MerylStreep

I don’t like to be instructed to - discuss
If it was a request, ie would you like to discuss, can we discuss, then yes, I would but not - discuss.

Don't be silly, MS. Posing a question and then adding "Discuss" is perfectly normal. Acadmics and teachers do it all the time.

It means discuss in a philosophical way and gransnetters have responded in kind.

Squiffy Tue 26-Sep-23 10:19:52

Exactly Baggs!

foxie48 Tue 26-Sep-23 10:34:56

So she might injure herself? Anyone can injure themselves at any time, it's called living a life. I ride several times a week, not a plod but a decent competition horse. I broke my wrist and a couple of fingers + damage to my rotator cuff a two years ago when I slipped on some leaves walking down a hill. I'm nearly 75 and the day I stop riding will hopefully be the day I stop breathing. I think Angela is enjoying every minute or her time in "Strictly" and I'd love her to go all the way.