Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Contact after falling out

(56 Posts)
Dorrain Sun 31-Dec-23 07:24:54

A high school friend and I fell out about 10 years ago after a 35year friendship. I have just heard from another friend he husband has passed away yesterday after a prolonged battle with cancer.
I would like to send my condolences, the loss she is feeling will be difficult to bear.
I am in two minds as to whether to try and contact her now or should I wait for a few months to allow her time to grieve?

mumofmadboys Sun 31-Dec-23 07:31:05

i think sending a card would be thoughtful and appropriate.

tanith Sun 31-Dec-23 07:37:00

Just that send a card and leave it at that. She may contact you down the road but may not which you should respect.

Kalu Sun 31-Dec-23 07:44:30

I too think sending a card at this point would be appropriate.

V3ra Sun 31-Dec-23 08:49:56

Send a card, and include a note with your current contact details ie email address, mobile phone number.

Shelflife Sun 31-Dec-23 10:13:40

I agree we with V3ra, don't wait . You will have reached out to her and who knows she may contact you. If she doesn't you have lost nothing but she will know you are thinking about her.

pascal30 Sun 31-Dec-23 11:42:54

I would definitely send her your condolences and tell her you are thinking of her.. include your contact details.. it's the loving way to behave..

granfromafar Sun 31-Dec-23 11:48:56

Yes, definitely send a condolences card. She will know you are thinking of her. Don't expect her to reply, though, at least for a while.

Serendipity22 Sun 31-Dec-23 11:59:30

As other have said, send a card.

Cabbie21 Sun 31-Dec-23 12:02:12

I was in the same situation with a former work colleague. I thought we were close friends but after she retired we did not keep in touch. I sent a card when her husband died, but she did not get back in touch. No matter. It was the right thing to do.

Purplepixie Sun 31-Dec-23 13:08:54

Please send a card now. I got in touch with someone I hadn’t seen/spoken to in over 30 years when I heard that her husband had died. We are now in contact via emails, texts and phone calls because we live 200 miles apart. You will regret it if you don’t get in touch and something happens to her.

VioletSky Sun 31-Dec-23 20:22:13

After 10 years, I would not send a card... It might reopen old wounds that have healed

Spring20 Mon 01-Jan-24 07:38:45

Or VS it might lead to the healing of a friendship that once meant a lot and could do so again. Send a sincerely thoughtful card, and then let her decide whether or not to respond.

M0nica Mon 01-Jan-24 09:44:03

Send a card, the worst thing that can happen is that she will ignore it. On the other hand, it may be just the gesture to heal the rift.

henetha Mon 01-Jan-24 09:48:18

I agree with those above who said send a card.

VioletSky Mon 01-Jan-24 13:24:49

I would wait for a random rainy day and not risk being the last person she wanted to hear from during what must be an extremely traumatic time

I wouldn't want to risk making another person's grief about me

Because it could go either way, a 35 year old friendship does not die without an upsetting reason

crazyH Mon 01-Jan-24 13:41:23

Someone, who I thought was a very good friend, lost her husband last year. I visited to offer condolences and went to the funeral. Rang her after that to see how she was doing. Knowing that she could not drive, I offered to help out with shopping etc. She never ever called me back. I took the hint and never called her again. There are friends for a reason and friends for a season.
In your case, send her a Card and leave the ball in her court.
Good luck !

Tenko Mon 01-Jan-24 13:55:06

I suppose it depends on why you fell out. Was it due to you or her ?
However I would send a condolence card and leave it up to her .

rafichagran Mon 01-Jan-24 15:32:12

Send a polite condolence card.If your friend makes contact you may have a chance of reignited the friendship.
I don't agree that sending a card is making it all about you. It's the polite thoughtful thing to do.

Hithere Mon 01-Jan-24 16:26:24

I agree with VS

It does depend why the friendship ended.

Esmay Mon 01-Jan-24 17:46:14

This is an awkward situation :
It depends how your friendship ended and who initiated the end .
I think that I would be tempted just send a card to express my condolences , but this is really up to you .

Do you want to be friends with her again ?
I'm wondering how I would respond to one of my friends if I received such sad news .
We were great friends for 30 years .
Her husband told her that she couldn't have anything to do with me anymore , because I knew all about her affair , encouraged it and provided (unknown to me) alibis .

At one stage , I gave her daughter a home to help her manage financially and my reward was -having my house trashed and been sworn at by her .
So I think that I would not want to rekindle our relationship .

VioletSky Mon 01-Jan-24 18:18:43

rafichagran

Send a polite condolence card.If your friend makes contact you may have a chance of reignited the friendship.
I don't agree that sending a card is making it all about you. It's the polite thoughtful thing to do.

I did clearly say, that is how I feel and a risk I would not want to take

Many situations that end in a severed relationship, it is because both parties think they are right... So if the other person believed me to be the bad guy in the situation, hearing from me would feel like I was intruding on their grief... Especially if I hadn't reached out for 10 years and had heard from a third party about the situation...

I wouldn't personally want to risk that

I'd wait for a random rainy day where the only reason I was making contact was because I missed them

Rosie51 Mon 01-Jan-24 18:27:40

I'd send a card, let her know you're thinking about her at this sad time. If you leave it now, then I'd not send one in the future. How hurt would she be if she responded and when she told you her husband had died you replied that yes you had heard but hadn't bothered to send condolences?

Labradora Mon 01-Jan-24 18:28:53

I agree that sending a condolence card is the kind and appropriate thing to do.
It's not selfish because you're doing it for her , not for you.
If , over and above your expression of sympathy, your ex-friend sees an opportunity to reconcile , well that would be a good thing.
She may of course not follow up with contact (I agree give her plenty of time) and you would have to accept that.

JdotJ Tue 02-Jan-24 12:00:14

Sending condolences does seem to be the correct etiquette but would you be even thinking of contacting your friend had her husband not passed away? Your friendship obviously ended for a reason and if you end up sending a condolences card just to be " seen to be doing the right thing" with no thought of rekindling a friendship, then I wouldn't bother.
Would seem very false were I the unfortunate recipient.