Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Grandaughter being alienated

(30 Posts)
MyHeart2387 Fri 29-Dec-23 23:05:26

Hello. I’m new to a forum but I am desperate. I’ll try to keep this as short as possible. My son has a daughter and things did not work out for him and the mother of the child. They never married. I believe that either the mother or possibly someone in her family is choosing to blame me for their breakup which happened 10 years ago when my grandaughter was just 6 months old. Just from things my granddaughter has asked over the last year has led me to this belief. I notice a definite difference in our relationship. I live out of state but come to visit at least three or four times a year. Prior to this past year, things have been great between us. Any advice?

crazyH Fri 29-Dec-23 23:21:50

It’s always so sad when grandparents are blamed. However, I am very pleased to hear that you have continued to have a good relationship with your little granddaughter. She is only 10 years old and is probably a little bit curious. Just give her all the love you can. Don’t explain too much. I am not very good at giving advice. Someone will come along soon with the right answers and advice. Good luck !

BlueBelle Sat 30-Dec-23 07:00:03

Sad situation but are you sure you are getting it right I wouldn’t read too much into it unless there’s much more showing up than comes across in your post. 10 years olds are going through changes in their lives, hormones starting, waiting for school changes coming up etc Personally I would have thought if the mother or family were on a bit of a witch hunt it would have happened around the break up time not ten years later
I would say carry on being the gran/Nan you ve always been and as she gets older answer any questions she asks, totally honestly

Smileless2012 Sat 30-Dec-23 09:28:42

Hello MyHeart and welcome to GN.

Try not to worry about this. As Bluebelle has said, your GD will be facing a lot of changes within herself and her life at the age of 10, and what she says is probably due to her trying to make sense of how her life is.

If it had been the case that you were being held responsible for the break down of your son's relationship, it's very unlikely that you'd have been able to have had a relationship with her for the last 10 years.

Carry on being the GM she knows and loves and enjoy the time you get to spend together.

Poppyred Sat 30-Dec-23 10:10:37

Not enough information. What has she said to make you think that you are being blamed?

pascal30 Sat 30-Dec-23 11:50:19

I agree with what others have said. If you had been thought to be the problem then something would have been said already.. your GD has reached the age where she will be questioning her life.. Just continue being loving and most importantly talking to her truthfully..

VioletSky Sun 31-Dec-23 20:24:50

I would put this to one side, concentrate on having a good relationship with your grandchild.

Change the subject

VioletSky Sun 31-Dec-23 20:25:25

Sorry, change the subject if she brings it up...

Smileless2012 Wed 03-Jan-24 10:37:16

I don't think changing the subject is a good idea. Answering any questions honestly and in a non judgemental way is the way to go.

VioletSky Wed 03-Jan-24 17:45:26

Oh dear... No, do not agree, please do not put poor grandchild in the middle of this, from experience, it is a horrible place to be.

The important thing here is that your grandchild knows you as a trustworthy, safe adult. I would, honestly stick to saying "no that's not true" if you really really have to but otherwise, changing the subject.

Don't risk anything getting back to the parents that will lose you contact.

Smileless2012 Wed 03-Jan-24 17:53:27

As long as the OP isn't critical of her GD's mother and her mother's family, she wont be putting her in the middle. Changing the subject thereby refusing to engage with her on it could make her feel her GM has something to hide.

VioletSky Wed 03-Jan-24 23:18:42

That's not possible

It will be grandmother's word against the parents and she will ultimately lose... Possibly contact with the grandchild

The important thing is being a person the grandchild can trust, who listens and supports instead of escalating drama

Smileless2012 Thu 04-Jan-24 08:51:37

Of course it's possible.

Madgran77 Thu 04-Jan-24 10:15:11

A child of 10 who is aware/astute enough to comment/ask questions on any given subject will also be aware/astute enough to know when they are being fobbed off or the subject is being changed. It is possible to be honest without making negative comments or entering a one word against the other situation.

Myheart I agree with all who say to concentrate on building on the
relationship you have with your Gd but also don't fob her off if she asks questions or makes comments.Simple replies like
" We were all sad when Mummy and daddy felt they couldnt stay together...but sometimes that happens in relationships. The important thing is everyone loves you which isn't really surprising because you are you!" ..and similar.. If she ever states that she thinks the break up was your fault just say something like "I'm not sure how I could have caused it. ....we were all sad .etc etc "!(as above or similar ...!" )

Hope you can continue to enjoy your GD. flowers

Smileless2012 Thu 04-Jan-24 11:37:28

Re the first paragraph of your post Madgran; exactly.

VioletSky Thu 04-Jan-24 17:22:04

You are betting your opinion on a grandmother potentially losing contact with a grandchild

A dangerous game to play simply in order to be right

Again, I would stick to That isn't true statements like: "I would never do that, what would you like for dinner?" (As long as that is in fact the truth)

The best way to prevent alienation is to be a person the child trusts and likes. She won't trust a person who uses her as some sort of go between in an argument by giving opposing information to the parents... that will get back to them.

VioletSky Thu 04-Jan-24 17:24:20

Sorry that comment is to Smileless, not Madgran as we are clearly agreed

Smileless2012 Thu 04-Jan-24 17:30:41

No one's betting (their) opinion on a grandmother potentially losing contact with a grandchild VS and to suggest that anyone would do so in order to be right is extremely offensive.

No one on this thread has suggested that the OP use her GD as some sort of go between in an argument by giving opposing information to the parents ... that will get back to them. In fact the only person to have raised that, is you.

Smileless2012 Thu 04-Jan-24 17:36:38

Madgran did not agree with you VS. The first paragraph of her post agreed with me that it would be wrong to change the subject, and that it is possible to be honest without making negative comments.

pascal30 Thu 04-Jan-24 18:07:04

Smileless2012

I don't think changing the subject is a good idea. Answering any questions honestly and in a non judgemental way is the way to go.

I completely agree with you Smileless

Madgran77 Thu 04-Jan-24 19:24:29

I do not think that my suggestions of ways to respond are risking a grandmother losing contact with her GC.

I don't think your specific suggestions above risk that either VS, but I'm not comfortable with the idea of moving straight on to other subjects like dinner because I think the child will not feel heard and will be astute enough to know exactly what is being done. That will not build a trusting relationship.

The whole situation is tricky and how it goes really does depend on sensitive responses to the childs queries and comments whilst continuing to do nice things together etc. I hope that will be possible for all concerned

Smileless2012 Thu 04-Jan-24 19:31:51

I can't see how my response to the OP could be viewed in that way either Madgran and I why anyone would suggest that an EP/EGP (VS posted her comment was to me) would suggest anything that could result in another parent/GP being estranged, is beyond me.

VioletSky Thu 04-Jan-24 22:22:04

As I said, the official advise is to work to maintain a positive relationship with the child so that the child feels safe with you.

Focusing on disputing what an alienator says will only lead the child to confusion and conflicting feelings that they are not ready to handle.

CAFCASS would also advise that the best way to combat alienation is to have some form of mediation or communication with the person doing it direct.

The best way to avoid alienation is to not engage in it yourself in any way and as soon as you start disputing or contradicting what the alienator is doing you are participating yourself

I would assume there is no court order here which means that the grandparent has no power to get the child into therapy to help them deal with their emotions and undo any fear the alienator has caused the child

So the grandmother is in a worse position than a parent and the contact can easily be withdrawn at any time should the child go home and say "grandma said xyz"

I don't mind who doesn't agree with me but I want to protect OPs relationship, my advice is based on what I know from CAFCASS and my studies in childhood development and I hope she hears me

Smileless2012 Thu 04-Jan-24 22:38:10

Everyone who has responded has done so on the basis of the positive relationship MyHeart has with her GD VS, based no doubt on common sense and experience and a desire to see her relationship with her GD protected.

Having knowledge of CAFCASS and studies in childhood development aren't a requirement when giving advice, and not having them doesn't mean the advice given is of less importance.

Madgran77 Fri 05-Jan-24 07:39:52

VioletSky

As I said, the official advise is to work to maintain a positive relationship with the child so that the child feels safe with you.

Focusing on disputing what an alienator says will only lead the child to confusion and conflicting feelings that they are not ready to handle.

CAFCASS would also advise that the best way to combat alienation is to have some form of mediation or communication with the person doing it direct.

The best way to avoid alienation is to not engage in it yourself in any way and as soon as you start disputing or contradicting what the alienator is doing you are participating yourself

I would assume there is no court order here which means that the grandparent has no power to get the child into therapy to help them deal with their emotions and undo any fear the alienator has caused the child

So the grandmother is in a worse position than a parent and the contact can easily be withdrawn at any time should the child go home and say "grandma said xyz"

I don't mind who doesn't agree with me but I want to protect OPs relationship, my advice is based on what I know from CAFCASS and my studies in childhood development and I hope she hears me

And the suggestions made do not go against CAFCASS advice, of which I have a detailed knowledge myself. There are nuances within how to interpret and follow that advice and the OP will hopefully find the right way within the specific nature of her circumstances and relationship with her GD.