Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Xmas fallout am I being unreasonable, plans cancelled

(28 Posts)
Marketkat Sun 17-Dec-23 08:03:59

I was supposed to be spending Xmas with my sister, she has a successful stressful job, buts it s also very lucrative, she has been supporting of me since my son died 5 years ago. For a while I wasn’t able to join in much. This year I asked if she’d like me to come for Xmas with her, it’s a 5 hour car journey for us, about and hour for her and her husband and we have a disabled brother, so we would spend Xmas together, we had a cottage booked for a few days, so we had a downstairs toilet for my brother. That’s the basis of what has been planned, a few weeks ago I was quite unwell but feeling much better now. 2 weeks ago she phoned to day she had tennis elbow and it’s very painful which I understand it is, she also has some other ongoing health issues but nothing that stops her working. So she said it may be better to cancel our plans because she’s not well and neither was I at the time and also I mentioned to her I was finding life difficult grieving my son. I had a follow up nurse appt and I was basically given a clean bill of health apart from an ectopic heart beat and I am to go back to see my GP on Thursday.
So last night I messaged and said I’d phone her today and we could talk about Xmas, I was out last night at friends, I checked my phone when I came home and basically got a message saying I’m not listening, I wish you would, she says that a neighbour she used to be close to (but who had moved away about 4 years ago and not really seen her since) was on end of life care and my brother can be difficult to look after, but he would only be with us on Xmas day. That shes got so much work on and her husband is also very tired, he also has a similar job and circumstances, working in a hospice. All of which I know can be highly stressful and particularly this time of year.
So I feel her message was saying I don’t care about what others are going through, god knows I went through hell when my son died of cancer, so I do know how much heartache there is in the world.
Anyway, it’s greatly upset me, I haven’t slept all night, she has has a temper with me before about something and has also fell out with another sister.
I am going to cancel the whole thing and I will spend the day at home with my husband or just try and find a meal somewhere.
I’ve decided not to speak with her today, am I being unreasonable?
She doesn’t have children, when my son was ill she was very good and has been a reasonable support since.

MercuryQueen Sun 17-Dec-23 08:26:21

Your sister already said she wanted to cancel, so I don’t understand what there is to discuss?

tanith Sun 17-Dec-23 08:36:12

It seems your sister doesn’t want a ‘family’ Christmas this year just accept how she feels and have your own Christmas, no need to fall out about it.

GrannySomerset Sun 17-Dec-23 08:38:12

Not sure you are listening to your sister, are you?

Siope Sun 17-Dec-23 08:38:41

I think you do sound unreasonable and self-centered. I think you should ring your sister and ask what you can do to help and support her as she’s having some difficulties.

OldFrill Sun 17-Dec-23 08:40:16

You were spending Christmas with your sister.
You both weren't feeling up to it so you both agreed to cancel.
You are now feeling better so want to reinstate arrangements.
Sister isn't feeling better and so it remains cancelled.
What's to talk about? Maybe some empathy for your sister.

NanaTuesday Sun 17-Dec-23 08:47:04

Marketkat,
I think it’s the art of communication that is at fault here sadly . As your Sister has clearly made her plans clear but via an answerphone message ,rather than speaking to you direct when the a/p picked up ,which is far from ideal as like text ,estates the often get taken the wrong way.
It would have been so much easier for you both if you had ,had a proper conversation. It is sad that she feels she needs to cancel but it seems that she also has ongoing issues which you need to be mindful of .
You can still have the Christmas break with the rest of the family and catch up with her to make your peace with a telephone or face time call during the holidays.

Marketkat Sun 17-Dec-23 09:01:40

Ok thanks, I hear you.
That’s helpful

BlueBelle Sun 17-Dec-23 09:11:54

Your last sentence says it perfectly when your son was ill and dying she was very supportive and has been since
It just hasn’t worked out this year don’t take it to heart Christmas is so overrated See if she’s up to a get together in the spring (better weather)
Will your brother still be with you ?
I think night time has blown it out of proportion let it ease down say no more have a lovely quiet day with your husband or see if you can help out somewhere for a change that always makes you feel good (we can do different things at Christmas it doesn’t always have to be big dinners and family get togethers )
Anyway have a good one whatever you do in the end

eazybee Sun 17-Dec-23 09:12:31

Yes you are being unreasonable.
Your sister has given you a great deal of support through the death of your son and continues to do so; now she is experiencing difficulties and you say:
" I feel her message was saying I don’t care about what others are going through,"
Not very kind of you. Phone her back and discuss it sensibly.

NotAGran55 Sun 17-Dec-23 09:12:37

Don’t be difficult towards your sister for heavens sake. Pick up the phone today and have a chat with her. Wish her well for the Christmas period and get on and arrange something special for you and your husband.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 17-Dec-23 09:39:32

You seem to have invited yourself and your husband and difficult disabled brother in the first place. Like your sister I used to have a job that left me completely and utterly exhausted at Christmas, and on top of that your sister isn’t well. She could do with some quiet time rather than entertaining. Yes, you are being unreasonable.

Marketkat Sun 17-Dec-23 09:50:18

Thank you all. I have indeed spoken to my sister and realised I was being unreasonable. Thank for your honest replies, really useful.

Smileless2012 Sun 17-Dec-23 12:00:30

I'm glad you've spoken to your sister Marketkat and hope that you'll be able to enjoy Christmas and be able to see her in the New Year.

silverlining48 Sun 17-Dec-23 12:03:45

Well done marketkat, no need to worry about it any more. Have a nice Christmas whatever you do.

BlueBelle Sun 17-Dec-23 12:10:40

Well done for coming back and owning your unreasonableness
Many wouldn’t admit to being in the wrong so good on you
Have a lovely (if different to your expectations) Christmas and perhaps you can get together when you all feel better

VioletSky Sun 17-Dec-23 12:11:15

It's always going to hurt when plans get changed so close to Christmas

But this isn't worth a big fallout. You both are having a difficult time and difficult times are not about competition.

I look at it this way:

The worst thing that has happened to someone is their 10. It is the most they have had to cope with and has pushed them to their limit. The scales of 1 to 10 may be objectively different and can move over time but the emotions, frustration and exhaustion can be the same

Plan yourself a wonderful day

Shelflife Sun 17-Dec-23 12:30:29

Well done marketkat, your sister has her reasons . Have a lovely Christmas ⛄

OldFrill Sun 17-Dec-23 12:40:48

Well done marketkar, it isn't always easy to see a personal situation clearly. So sorry about your son and l hope you can enjoy Christmas x

2020convert Sun 17-Dec-23 12:42:52

Well done marketkat. You’ve taken some rather direct advice on board, digested it and rung your sister.
Enjoy your Christmas, without the long journey, and I hope you manage to spend some time with her soon.

Norah Sun 17-Dec-23 12:42:53

Well done sorting out your dilemma.

Marketkat Sun 17-Dec-23 13:29:28

Thank you all 🙏

Mamasperspective Mon 18-Dec-23 23:06:52

Maybe that is how you have come across to her? Everyone will have their different perceptions of a situation.

I say this in the nicest way possible and with no malice but I note from your comment about her struggles that you immediately reverted to the fact your son passed away so you understand struggles in the world. There's a saying (and forgive me if I get this wrong) "Just because the person next to you is in a full body cast, it doesn't mean your broken arm doesn't hurt"

Maybe she just wants you to be empathetic towards her situation instead of making comparisons with situations you have been through.

BlueBelle Mon 18-Dec-23 23:23:07

Shame you didn’t bother to read the thread Mamasperspective
merketkat has said she has apologised to her sister for being unreasonable

Cossy Tue 19-Dec-23 09:55:48

I don’t either of you are being unreasonable, but I do think both of you aren’t coping well and struggling to communicate well.

Hope you sort it, so sorry about your son, Christmas brings with it boy joy and sadness. Good luck x