Gransnet forums

Education

Extra help for GGD in school

(29 Posts)
Madmeg Wed 13-Jul-22 23:21:56

DGD age 8 has been assessed as special needs. She is bright as a button generally but struggles with the basics like English and Maths. She lacks concentration too. She has loads of out-of-school activities such as dancing, gymnastics and swimming and is likely to be joining a select group of swimmers later this year. She has boundless enthusiasm and isn't at all bothered by this diagnosis cos other children in her school are similar and she is fine with it. Her older brother is highly academic but there is no competition between them. They are very happy children.

As grandparents, we have some financial security. We would help pay for private education to get our GDD extra support. Would it be worth it, or is State Support just as good? Would a private school do any better?

Georgesgran Tue 02-May-23 08:01:49

Please check out the Dyslexia Institute website. My girls attended weekly sessions at the local branch. One went early, missing school assembly, while the other missed a late afternoon games lesson. Obviously there was a cost.
Their website gives addresses/numbers for all the branches throughout the country.

Yammy Tue 02-May-23 10:01:05

I would say your granddaughter's parents need to start pushing now for assessment . Leave her in the school where she is for the moment but after she had been assessed [it might take years} then you need to see that the school can fulfil what the assessment suggests.
Not only dyslexia comes to my mind and the cause needs to be diagnosed.
You could also try going down the Medical route and initially take her to your GP.
If or when the school cannot give the support needed which many cannot these days, then you step in with your money and find somewhere or someone who can.

Jaxjacky Tue 02-May-23 10:25:07

It would be interesting if the OP came back as this thread was started last summer.