Gransnet forums

Education

A long but fascinating article

(48 Posts)
MoorlandMooner Mon 09-Aug-21 10:45:31

www.theguardian.com/education/2021/aug/08/public-schoolboys-boris-johnson-sad-little-boys-richard-beard

GagaJo Tue 10-Aug-21 09:32:01

MaizieD

Why isn't anyone horrified that these are the men who predominately run our country, administer our justice and control our armed forces?

We are. Does anyone remember what Cameron said to Corbyn?

"put on a proper suit, do up your tie and sing the national anthem".

Bullying, as if they were at school instead of in the seat of government.

annodomini Tue 10-Aug-21 10:34:10

Caleo That article did fascinate me! I have often heard Boris Johnson being accused of putting together a government of old public schoolboys.

It has often struck me that the two most prominent members of the Cabinet who are not of the public school/Oxbridge tribe, Pritti Patel and Gavin Williamson, both work the hardest to prove themselves politically. How Williamson must have gloated, as chief whip, when he threatened Tory grandees with the tarantula he kept on his desk!

hollysteers Tue 10-Aug-21 14:23:12

Public schools are part of the left overs from our colonial past, built for Empire builders and the children dumped in them as a result, to breed another race of often arrogant ‘leaders’.
Do we really need them now? My husband and my brothers in law were packed off firstly to board at prep school aged about 7, then to the south of England from the north. My husband faired well as he was extremely sporty, but told me of the misery on parting.
He wanted our son to go to boarding school but he was able to resist (the same offer was not made to our daughter).
It seemed to me to instil tremendous confidence which I envied but believe all children should have that whatever their background.

Luckygirl Tue 10-Aug-21 14:53:03

Our most effective defence was therefore to act as if we took nothing very seriously at all. - there we have it - the essence of BJ.

One of my GSs goes to a private day secondary school - it is co-educational with brilliant pastoral care and a warm loving atmosphere. His parents felt uncomfortable sending him there, but knew that this was where he would thrive. He was in a village school at primary level and enjoyed what that offered him; but now he enjoys the academic approach at his new school. The school also has amazing musical opportunities and he is loving these. He is a bit of a boffin, but also a loving and sensitive person, because he comes from a loving and sensitive home. I have reason to know this since my OH died - he has been sensitive and thoughtful and kind to me.

His parents pay very little for the place as he got the academic scholarship. How wonderful it would be if all the opportunities he has were in every state school.

Deedaa Tue 10-Aug-21 15:18:03

40 years ago my neighbour had a 7 year old son who was boarding at a local school but came home at weekends. He had been sent to the school because they were running a programme for dyslexic children, which was almost unknown then. He seemed nice enough when he came home but was always very keen to tell you about all his possessions and how much they had all cost. Daddy had a Rolls so we heard a lot about that too. My little old Renault that I picked up for £50 at the auctions couldn't really compare.

Sadly Pritti Patel and Gavin Williamson are pretty depressing examples of non public school politicians. Although I suspect Pritti epitomises the sort of dominatrix matron that old Etonians probably fantasize about.

MayBee70 Tue 10-Aug-21 17:54:42

They probably exist in government just to prove how disastrous it is when non Etonians reach positions of power….

MaizieD Tue 10-Aug-21 18:17:32

Luckygirl

*Our most effective defence was therefore to act as if we took nothing very seriously at all.* - there we have it - the essence of BJ.

One of my GSs goes to a private day secondary school - it is co-educational with brilliant pastoral care and a warm loving atmosphere. His parents felt uncomfortable sending him there, but knew that this was where he would thrive. He was in a village school at primary level and enjoyed what that offered him; but now he enjoys the academic approach at his new school. The school also has amazing musical opportunities and he is loving these. He is a bit of a boffin, but also a loving and sensitive person, because he comes from a loving and sensitive home. I have reason to know this since my OH died - he has been sensitive and thoughtful and kind to me.

His parents pay very little for the place as he got the academic scholarship. How wonderful it would be if all the opportunities he has were in every state school.

But your puff piece for private education misses the point of Beard's article, Luckygirl. It's being separated from home and family that creates the emotionally stunted monsters that these children become.

And the training for the leadership roles that are their 'right' ...

Fennel Tue 10-Aug-21 18:27:35

What saddens me most is why we, the electorate, continue to vote in these damaged individuals. After centuries of being given the right to vote.
www.historyhome.co.uk/readings/election.htm
Why haven't we learnt something?

Caleo Tue 10-Aug-21 19:58:39

I went to a small girls' boarding school. The headmistress positively discouraged prudery. Older girls had to get up on dark winter mornings before breakfast to muck out and feed horses. There was no central heating and rooms were lit by gas. Older girls acted as waitresses for younger girls. All were taught to participate in the life of the small town nearby. On Sundays when the maids were off older girls washed the dishes.
Generally, the ethic at Eton seems to be enormous vanity. I wonder if Gordonstoun is similarly elitist.

MawBe Tue 10-Aug-21 20:17:40

My DH went to Gordonstoun which he actually hated as he was not the cold showers/outdoorsy type and from what he told me it was precisely the opposite of elitist.
Because of generous endowments and Hahn’s ethical outlook, there was a large % of local boys on scholarships. In addition all the boys were expected to serve in local services, such as the lifeboat or other voluntary work. The uniform was practical (grey shorts or else a kilt and sweater) and it did not attract either sons of “somebody in the City” or Hooray Henrys.
Contrary to some people’s opinion of public school output, DH was a gentle, principled man, a devout Christian with a keen intellect and love for the Arts.
“Posh” he was not.

Luckygirl Tue 10-Aug-21 22:02:22

MaizieD - I entirely understood the point of the article and the detrimental effects of separation and rejection.

I was pointing out that in the private sector there are, thank goodness, some examples of caring establishments that are shedding the gung-ho approach. It was not a "puff piece" for private education. My heart is with the state education system, but I am also realistic and very sad at how some schools are unable to meet the needs of their pupils, through underfunding and servicing deprived areas. I am constantly amazed at the dedication of teachers in the state sector who struggle on with one hand tied behind their backs and the stranglehold of Gove's curriculum - I wonder where he got the idea that this curriculum was the ideal?

It would be hard to miss the point of the article - these are damaged children who have turned into damaged adults who sadly gain power and set about their damaging plans for our society.

Callistemon Tue 10-Aug-21 22:28:46

It's being separated from home and family that creates the emotionally stunted monsters that these children become.

My DH went to boarding school at 8 and he is neither emotionally stunted nor a monster.
He is a caring husband, loving father and grandfather.
(And cared about his widowed mother too.)

You just cannot generalise and that statement is really quite offensive.

Chestnut Tue 10-Aug-21 23:41:39

Callistemon

^It's being separated from home and family that creates the emotionally stunted monsters that these children become^.

My DH went to boarding school at 8 and he is neither emotionally stunted nor a monster.
He is a caring husband, loving father and grandfather.
(And cared about his widowed mother too.)

You just cannot generalise and that statement is really quite offensive.

I agree this is an offensive statement Callistemon. Not every public schoolboy turns into cold-hearted psychopaths. I went out with an ex-public schoolboy who was at Cambridge and he turned into a loving caring person who has been happily married since the 1980s. He did not enjoy public school but I think what seemed to affect him most was being completely ignorant about the opposite sex after being confined in a boys' school. He gained an understanding of women in due course along with an understanding of the real world as opposed to that of the public school.

eazybee Wed 11-Aug-21 09:38:55

I read the article and found it predictable, although undoubtedly influenced by the responses to the death of his brother.
What interested me more was the fact that the author, whilst rejecting private education for his children, chooses, because they previously attended lycées whilst abroad, to send them to a 'Free school', state funded but very much controlled by the parents, and with its own admissions policy.
Not quite ready for the standard comprehensive deemed suitable for (nearly) everyone else.

MoorlandMooner Wed 11-Aug-21 11:43:54

Days after reading and posting this article and after thinking through all the implications both human and political, the phrase that keeps coming back to my mind is,

'they spent the formative years of their childhood in boarding schools being looked after by adults who didn’t love them.'

Isn't that heartbreaking.

Caleo Wed 11-Aug-21 11:48:14

Chestnut, I knew two ex public school boys. Both were labour supporters , and highly intelligent, not followers of fashion.

I think what happens is that some boys and girls are more easily 'brain washed' i.e. indoctrinated than others. And also perhaps people like Boris J and his Eton cronies come from families where the ethic is similar to that of the school.

Sins of the fathers !

MoorlandMooner Wed 11-Aug-21 11:52:03

There is definitely something in what you say Caleo.

Rachel Johnson's book "Rakes Progress" gives a fascinating insight into the ethics of the Johnson family. Every single thing to them is seen as either a game, a joke or a competition.

Fennel Wed 11-Aug-21 15:56:01

Maw I apologise for my rather tactless remark. I know you've mentioned in the past about your dear husband's education and his lovely nature.
Each school has a different ethos and each child has a different early upbringing.

LesleyParker1 Fri 20-Aug-21 07:10:25

An interesting read!
I don't quite understand the concept of boarding schools but maybe if the parents have no other choice, it's justified...

NotSpaghetti Fri 20-Aug-21 07:44:42

I know a number of people who went to public schools. It seems to me these people have either "survived" them, been "made" by them or been "crushed" by them.

Lucca Fri 20-Aug-21 08:00:55

Some of the posts here are describing boarding school experience from decades ago ! Things are different now, especially in regard to girls boarding schools.
I don’t agree with the concept of public schools.
Having said that, not all boardings schools are of the Eton variety and not all privately educated people turn out like Boris.

Luckygirl I agree 100% with your remarks about state school and the “stranglehold”

Caleo Fri 20-Aug-21 08:46:58

Some people who have not been to public schools learn emotional detachment. It makes political sense for leaders to be emotionally detached for the simple reason that capitalism requires there to be a very large class of disadvantaged persons.