Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Would you like to see Cinderella performed by a male dancer?

(156 Posts)
Marilla Thu 28-Sep-23 16:07:13

Scottish Ballet have announced there will a new twist in their performances of Cinderella. Audiences will not know until the curtain rises whether they will see a female dancing the role as Cinderella or a male dancer playing Cinders.

maddyone Thu 28-Sep-23 16:20:11

I wouldn’t go. If others wish to go fair enough, but I like traditional stories to be just that, traditional.

Ailidh Thu 28-Sep-23 16:24:28

I definitely would.
I remember seeing Matthew Bourne's all male Swan Lake many years ago, and it was amazing.

Chestnut Thu 28-Sep-23 16:31:15

Well it's up to people to vote by going or not going. I wouldn't go, I like my fairy stories traditional. Let's see if it's another case of 'go woke, go broke'.

Grandmabatty Thu 28-Sep-23 16:42:32

As I said on your other post, pantomimes mix up genders at Christmas. Why shouldn't Scottish Ballet? Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake was beautiful and powerful and the swans were played by men.

Caravansera Thu 28-Sep-23 16:57:29

Audiences attending the production of Cinders will not know until the curtain goes up whether the main character will be a man or a woman.

One version will be traditional - with a female Cinderella being swept off her feet by her Prince Charming.

But in the other, a male Cinders will be rescued from a life of drudgery by his princess.

The female will wear the ballgown, regardless of whether she is playing Cinders or the princess that falls in love with the male Cinders.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-66947638

Cinderella is just a rags to riches tale of a underling coming up in the world, based on the story of a slave girl who marries the King of Egypt. Why not a slave boy who marries the Queen of Egypt?

I don’t see anything wrong in switching the parts around.

MerylStreep Thu 28-Sep-23 17:03:11

Chestnut

Well it's up to people to vote by going or not going. I wouldn't go, I like my fairy stories traditional. Let's see if it's another case of 'go woke, go broke'.

We can only hope.

Septimia Thu 28-Sep-23 17:03:15

I, too, like the tradition tales. However, if it's a complete switch around of the male and female lead roles it could be interesting.

Callistemon21 Thu 28-Sep-23 17:08:51

When I saw the heading, I thought the handsome Prince would be rescuing a male Cindereddie.

eazybee Thu 28-Sep-23 17:15:59

No I would not, particularly if I wasn't informed before hand. Would this dancer be en pointe? Pretending to be female?
I saw Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake and I did not enjoy it at all; I thought it was pretentious and desperately trying to be different. Why not tell a new story with an all male cast, not mimicking a traditional form.

SachaMac Thu 28-Sep-23 17:31:21

Personally I’d prefer the traditional version, but it all depends how they play it and how far removed from the traditional tale they go. As long as Cinderella gets to go to the ball, wears a wonderful sparkly fairy tale costume and gets the Prince at the end I’d cope smile

Marilla Thu 28-Sep-23 18:11:59

I understand the concept , but for me there are some stories I like to be left to be traditional. I saw Swan Lake performed by Matthew Bourne’s company and it was powerful and unforgettable.
At Christmas I want to be enchanted by a traditional ballet with exquisite dancing and music and forget about ‘issues’ for a few hours.
I wouldn’t want to pay for a ticket and not know what which performance I was going to see.

Witzend Thu 28-Sep-23 18:22:56

I wouldn’t go.
I don’t know why people have to sod about with traditional plays/ballets. If I wanted to see Cinderella, I’d want to see it done fairly traditionally.

We recently saw a theatre production of Shakespeare’s Richard III - with a woman playing Richard. I just cannot fathom why anyone would think this was a good idea.
Came home and ordered a DVD with Laurence Olivier playing the lead. 🙂

Anniebach Thu 28-Sep-23 18:42:36

No

GrannySomerset Thu 28-Sep-23 18:47:42

The Matthew Bourne Sleeping Beauty was absolutely magical and wowed this sceptical audience member.

Grannmarie Thu 28-Sep-23 18:51:36

Cinderfella?
I'm not sure....

Calendargirl Thu 28-Sep-23 18:58:52

It might be a tight fit forcing a big male foot into a dainty glass slipper.🥺

Not keen, like to see things as they should be.

Jackiest Thu 28-Sep-23 19:22:24

Stereotypes always need challenging and it is about time the male female roles in life were given a kick so I would go and hope to see the male Cinderella.

Dogmum2 Thu 28-Sep-23 19:28:42

Yes, in fact i'd be more likely to go. I loved Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake and Akram Khan's Giselle and still thoroughly enjoy the traditional versions.

Switching around the traditional roles in dance is great and gives the dancers scope to extend their repertoire, showcase their talent from a different perspective and deliver something new to the audience.

Maggiemaybe Thu 28-Sep-23 19:40:01

No, I wouldn’t. Cinderella overcomes all the odds, abuse and cruelty to end up in a castle (albeit with a little help from her Fairy Godmother). She’s a strong female character, and goodness knows there aren’t that many in the arts world.

Glorianny Thu 28-Sep-23 19:42:25

Well if we did Shakespeare as it was originally meant to be there would be young men playing all the women. Reimagining and redeveloping is all part of the creative process of interpretation, performances change for all sorts oof reasons. Why not a male Cinders?

SueDonim Thu 28-Sep-23 20:53:31

Maggiemaybe

No, I wouldn’t. Cinderella overcomes all the odds, abuse and cruelty to end up in a castle (albeit with a little help from her Fairy Godmother). She’s a strong female character, and goodness knows there aren’t that many in the arts world.

Yes, this.^ It’s another example of men taking away jobs and roles from women.

growstuff Thu 28-Sep-23 21:12:10

Yes, I would. Ballet is about music and dancing. I don't really care about the gender of the person wearing the costume.

nadateturbe Thu 28-Sep-23 21:15:51

maddyone

I wouldn’t go. If others wish to go fair enough, but I like traditional stories to be just that, traditional.

Me too.

Callistemon21 Thu 28-Sep-23 23:02:27

Well if we did Shakespeare as it was originally meant to be there would be young men playing all the women
That was because women were suppressed by men and not allowed to be actors. Acting was deemed unseemly for women as a profession.

Since those days we have had actresses playing well-known male parts in Shakespeare plays and a nod to Elizabethan times with males playing female parts again recently too.

This ballet is not breaking new ground.