Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas TV.

(25 Posts)
Calendargirl Tue 19-Dec-23 10:00:24

Splashed out on a tv guide for Christmas and the new year.

Doesn’t look worth it really.

The main programme I am looking forward to is the documentary about the time leading up to the King’s Coronation- behind the scenes. It’s on Boxing Day evening.

Oh, and the Princess of Wales’ Carol Service on Christmas Eve.

Thank goodness for the Royals.

Long gone are the days when exciting ‘new’ films and programmes were highlighted, and of course, in pre-video days, always a clash of favourites.

Happy days.

📺🎄

MayBee70 Tue 19-Dec-23 10:07:20

I like nostalgia type programmes about Christmas in the fifties. I think there’s one on Wednesday night on Ch 4 or 5. The Christmas horror ones are a must watch, too. Ch5 seem to have non stop cheesy Christmas films on which I find myself watching. There was a lovely concert of Christmas songs on Sky Arts yesterday morning featuring lots of famous people. I was thinking about getting a Radio Times because, with so many channels to choose from I miss things and I don’t have catchup for ITV or Sky Arts.

Jaxjacky Tue 19-Dec-23 10:09:23

Detectorists Special Thursday along with All Creatures Great and Small, at the same time, will watch one later, The Heist before Christmas, Christmas Eve. That’s three things marked to watch, there will be more, all marked up in the Radio Times by me.
Depends on your preferred viewing I suppose.

keepcalmandcavachon Tue 19-Dec-23 10:31:59

Love getting the Radio Times at Christmas! Feet up with a coffee and mince pie circling anything (and everything) with a felt pen. Feels so cosy, lovely.

MayBee70 Tue 19-Dec-23 13:37:58

The very last Ghosts is said to be really good: a perfect ending to the most fantastic series.

sweetcakes Tue 19-Dec-23 16:29:23

MayBee70
I'm looking forward to ghosts as well as all creatures great and small, call the midwife and Dr Who.

M0nica Tue 19-Dec-23 16:37:40

We hardly ever have the tv on in Christmas week, DVDs, yes, but not much else. Too much else to do, talking almost non stop, reading, board games, quizzes and going out for walks - and, oh yes, the panto.

rafichagran Wed 20-Dec-23 00:01:43

I love Christmas books, going out, seeing my Grandson, but I also like watching Eastenders, Emmerdale, and Chrismas films.

GrammarGrandma Sat 23-Dec-23 11:54:52

Ghosts and Vera Christmas specials are my must sees and I have already set them to record.

Hazeld Sat 23-Dec-23 11:57:06

Does anyone know of any spooky/horror films on over Christmas? I always seem to miss them. I have Prime but not Netflix too. TIA

MayBee70 Sat 23-Dec-23 12:29:07

Only 30 minutes long but Lot 249 on BBC2 10pm Christmas Eve should be good. Mark Gatiss’s annual BBC horror that that continues the BBC tradition of producing great classic horror stories.

Anniel Sat 23-Dec-23 12:34:35

Will The Princess of Wales Carol Concert clash with Carols From Kings College? I do hope not. I always watch the Kings College carols. It is a great tradition. I have not got access to the Radio Times.

MerylStreep Sat 23-Dec-23 12:44:13

Anniel
All Chanel schedules are on line.

ginny Sat 23-Dec-23 12:52:51

We don’t watch TV on Christmas or Boxing day. We do record the programmes we fancy though to watch at a later date.

susz Sat 23-Dec-23 14:39:32

The Noel Coward documentary could be interesting.

MerylStreep Sat 23-Dec-23 14:44:12

Thank god for streaming services. The offering from our main stream channels is dire 😱

hamster58 Sat 23-Dec-23 14:46:18

I agree!!

Grammaretto Sat 23-Dec-23 14:53:07

I've just discovered the Detectorists. I left the TV on expecting a documentary on archeology. 🤣
Why did noone tell me how funny this is!

rowyn Sat 23-Dec-23 14:56:18

Anniel,
If you have the internet then you have access to loads of TV guides online. Just put "TV Guide " into Google or other search engine sand ee what comes up

Jaxjacky Sat 23-Dec-23 15:06:55

rowyn

Anniel,
If you have the internet then you have access to loads of TV guides online. Just put "TV Guide " into Google or other search engine sand ee what comes up

But you can’t have the pleasure of going through with your highlighter pen marking up your ‘must see’ programmes!

Babamaman Sat 23-Dec-23 15:31:34

Yes they are the only two I’m tempted with unless there is the Carol concert from Kings! I’m Jewish but love old fashioned carols -
Everything else is prerecorded! No live shows anymore?
The films are horrendous - watching Maestro (about Leonard Bernstein) now on Netflix - it’s OK
I definitely won’t be buying any tv mags. The soaps are horrendously miserable - my life could be a better soap with all the misery I’ve had this year!
Oh dear what shall we watch?

Babamaman Sat 23-Dec-23 15:32:44

Totally agree

Calendargirl Sat 23-Dec-23 15:43:01

Anniel

Will The Princess of Wales Carol Concert clash with Carols From Kings College? I do hope not. I always watch the Kings College carols. It is a great tradition. I have not got access to the Radio Times.

Carols From Kings is 6.40-8.00.

Royal Carols is 7.45-9.00.

15 minute clash.

cc Sat 23-Dec-23 16:59:04

MerylStreep

Thank god for streaming services. The offering from our main stream channels is dire 😱

I do so agree with you.
We have a Firestick and can watch virtually anything now, but find that we mostly watch Netflix and repeats of crime thrillers on ITVX and the BBC. We'll probably watch some Prime films too.
Sadly there doesn't seem to be much new on BBC TV that interests us now, with honourable exceptions like Shetland.
We're not fans of the "Celebrity" programmes or "Strictly" either.

Mojack26 Sat 23-Dec-23 18:50:43

Yes TV is pretty bad at Christmas and NY. Im glad Ive got Netflux etc because 'normal' channels are grim! All game/reality shows etc. or repeats