Gransnet forums

Christmas

Well, that was an easy couple of presents!

(23 Posts)
Witzend Sat 16-Dec-23 09:10:30

The other day I asked dd1 for the nth time, if there was anything specific she and SiL would like - I won’t buy anything unless I know exactly what to get.

Finally she said their 2 kitchen bins, rubbish and recycling, are horrible, so scruffy (they are!) and one now has a broken lid, so how about one of those big double ones?

I sent two links from the John Lewis website, they chose one, I ordered yesterday morning, and it’s being delivered to them today!
I will get them some really nice edibles to open on the day, but phew!

Mizuna Sat 16-Dec-23 09:15:34

Brilliant! My son asked me what I wanted and I said houseplant compost or a ream of A4 paper. Easily sorted as he lives near Asda. He said, 'Not very glamorous, mum.' 😂

Liz46 Sat 16-Dec-23 09:16:55

I need a new dressing gown and my daughter sent me some links and I chose one. It’s a win win. Easy for her and I get something I want.

yggdrasil Sat 16-Dec-23 10:00:37

My son knows I have a charity I have supported for years. Every birthday and Christmas he sends a donation to it. This stops him from looking for something I really don't want :-)

tanith Sat 16-Dec-23 11:11:18

My daughters and I don’t exchange gifts we put the money to a trip away later in the year.

Lovetopaint037 Sat 16-Dec-23 11:19:49

Young adults are getting a small gift attached to a card with money in it.
Daughter chose a handbag. Other daughter money.
SIL likes l’Occittaine so I chose box of items.
Dh has got moleskin trousers plus other things.
Unfortunately all my other relations and friends I used to buy for have died.

Kittycat Sat 16-Dec-23 11:37:25

This sounds like bliss! I have to shop online as can’t get round the shops on foot anymore so feel guilty about all the deliveries! Then worry if family going to like gifts and end up with about 80 presents to wrap. This is as well as hosting Xmas day and boxing day as Autistic son can’t be anywhere else other than our house. Shouldn’t complain really lockdown Christmas was horrible.

Chocolatelovinggran Sat 16-Dec-23 12:00:28

My birthday present this year from my son was a smart ironing board cover. I was very happy- I like ironing.
Of course, the reason that he thought of this was because he had burnt a huge hole in my old one.

MiniMoon Sat 16-Dec-23 12:01:27

My DD has a water butt secreted on her property, a gift for DH. The best presents are things we need.

M0nica Sat 16-Dec-23 14:08:57

Like others, I ask for wish lists and broadly shop from them. The cake tin DD would like was delivered today.

Jaxjacky Sat 16-Dec-23 14:15:50

We do the same MOnica I have no idea what I’m getting, nor will anyone we’re buying for know, always surprises.
Kittycat I too shop entirely online, I just don’t like going shopping, our granddaughters list was links to websites, so don’t feel guilty.

Witzend Sat 16-Dec-23 15:29:33

Chocolatelovinggran

My birthday present this year from my son was a smart ironing board cover. I was very happy- I like ironing.
Of course, the reason that he thought of this was because he had burnt a huge hole in my old one.

😂😂

M0nica Sat 16-Dec-23 17:46:57

I confess wish list present buying was all online. Much of it was very specific and probably wasn't available on our local High Street. It incuded a carniverous plant, several secondhand books and something bought at auction.

SpringyChicken Sat 16-Dec-23 18:01:54

Our son and fiancee requested an air fryer this year. The top up gifts are alpaca walking socks.

kittylester Sat 16-Dec-23 18:37:06

We have good gift shops around so I try to buy from them unless it is specifics what are only available from big shops then I use their online services.

annodomini Sat 16-Dec-23 18:54:22

For the last few years I have asked my DSs for charity donations instead of extravagant presents. However, I've never been able to dissuade them from adding little stocking fillers as they want me to 'have something to open'.

Maggiemaybe Sat 16-Dec-23 19:50:13

We don’t buy for adults in the immediate family, but we’ve had some interesting presents to find as requested for the DGS. Including a squishmallow that looks like a humble potato, a very specific type of lava lamp, a set of giant dice that tell you how long to exercise and which exercise to do, and a pair of 4 foot high metal mannequins to help in football practice (they took some wrapping). grin All bought online as I couldn’t get them locally, but I have been to proper shops for books, sweets, vouchers and games.

Jimjam1 Sat 16-Dec-23 20:59:26

Thanks Maggiemaybe for great idea for my grandson. I had no idea what to buy my grandson for Christmas. Problem solved. I’ve just ordered 2 mannequins. Hopefully they will arrive in time.

Theexwife Sat 16-Dec-23 21:37:20

I prefer gifts that have thought given to them, asking for something specific which is then bought with one click is the same as just receiving the money to me.

I love it when someone gives a gift that shows how well they know you and have spent time thinking of you when choosing what to give.

Maggiemaybe Sat 16-Dec-23 21:42:09

I’m pleased to have been of help, Jimjam1. The ones I’ve got seem very sturdy. Just make sure you’ve plenty of cheap gift wrap ready. smile

Witzend Sun 17-Dec-23 09:23:52

Theexwife

I prefer gifts that have thought given to them, asking for something specific which is then bought with one click is the same as just receiving the money to me.

I love it when someone gives a gift that shows how well they know you and have spent time thinking of you when choosing what to give.

I know what you mean, but sometimes there are things people would really like, but would never get around to buying for themselves, even if you gave them the money, because they’re not strictly needed or seem a bit extravagant.

M0nica Sun 17-Dec-23 09:42:07

Bu a wish list guarantees nothing, but it guides you to gifts and ideas that will be loved and appreciated by the recipient.

It is very nice to buy gifts you have thought about but that doesn't guarantee that the recipient will also love it. I have in my time said a loving thank you for gifts I know were thought about while internally thinking 'what possessed them to give me this?' before putting it in a cupboard and a year later sending it to a charity shop.

Also what people would like can be very detailed and esoteric. I know my daughter is replacing all her bakeware. But she is very specific about the brand, type and items she wants. She has already bought some. There is no way I can give her any, unless I have been supplied with the details. A wish list enables me to know this without committing me to buying it.

Every one in our family has submitted a wish list. They have no idea whether they will get anything from it. And at times one does see the perfect present or someone will have expressed a desire for something and then not put it on the list.

But what we can all be reasonably confident is that there will be little or no gifts given that will be in a chairty shop sometime next years.

Norah Sun 17-Dec-23 20:13:13

yggdrasil

My son knows I have a charity I have supported for years. Every birthday and Christmas he sends a donation to it. This stops him from looking for something I really don't want :-)

Our daughters know our charity, makes giving in our names easy.

Lists of anything would be lost, not to be found in this house.

GC & GGC: the same every year, 1 clothing (pyjamas), 1 small toy, 1 book, 1 donation (teach generosity and they like the charity cards), 1 small desire.

Give our daughters money, they know what they want, we've no ideas.

Recently retired brother is very tall, no longer is forced to dress impeccably, and is the difficult person this year. He loves my husband's winter, indoor, pull-on, wincyette, knee-length shorts -- cosy and comfortable. I worked the pattern (he and my short husband are 6" different height) and made him 3 pair. His new wife tells me this is perfect-- she's lovely!

Good job it's never revealed what others truly think--