Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas Housework Rota For All The Family?

(19 Posts)
Margs Fri 15-Dec-23 09:19:52

Good luck with that one!
Every year some worthy publication produces an article designed to take some of the stress off Mum and avert a meltdown - this usually involves advising the family to have a family conference, agree to draw up a rota re household tasks allotted to various family members AND make sure everyone sticks to it.

And that's the dealbreaker. Will everyone gleefully accept their designated responsibility? Hmmmmmm.....

Imarocker Fri 15-Dec-23 09:44:39

Maybe offer a financial incentive? My DC used to get extra pocket money for doing extra chores.

Primrose53 Fri 15-Dec-23 09:58:19

My husband always preps all the veggies the night before. I do all the cooking and serving up. My daughter and boyfriend set the table beautifully and clear away any clutter from unwrapping presents. They also clear the table after our meal. My son loads the dishwasher and he also washes all the saucepans and roasting dishes by hand. Husband sorts out any leftovers to put in fridge. It has worked well like this for years. Nobody needs reminding.

Witzend Fri 15-Dec-23 10:03:56

We never had a rota, but when we’ve hosted, I have always done most of the prep and all the cookimg - while dh and others have always done all the clearing up.

Always suited me fine - feet up on the sofa with yet another Buck’s Fizz/mulled wine and chocolates, while others dealt with all the unlovely mess. 🙂

fancythat Fri 15-Dec-23 10:34:46

Someone always keeps the dishwasher going, as they know I dont like that job.
I get help with other stuff, once people arrive, if I want it and ask for it.
Someone will normally voluntarily be "the kitchen fairy" as it is called, after a few days, when things need a good going over.

M0nica Fri 15-Dec-23 12:44:47

I am chief cook - and it is a role I do not intend to give up. However, from this year I have an associate cook, our 16 year old GD.

As for anything else meal associated - laying tables, tidying up, loading dishwasher etc Or any other house related tasks- nothing to do with me!

Norah Fri 15-Dec-23 12:56:29

My husband and I cook and clean up together. I lay tables and do sink washing for precious items, rest goes in dishwasher. No rota.

People who write articles need some silly topic - always.

HousePlantQueen Fri 15-Dec-23 16:49:32

I agree with Norah; silly articles to follow the pages! We muck in here, people are asked to do stuff, but we do not aim for these unrealistic Christmas scenes as portrayed by advertisers. Shock horror, we sometimes sit at the table for so long that lunch morphs into supper.....without anyone loading the dishwasher!

Mollygo Fri 15-Dec-23 17:54:50

Primrose53

My husband always preps all the veggies the night before. I do all the cooking and serving up. My daughter and boyfriend set the table beautifully and clear away any clutter from unwrapping presents. They also clear the table after our meal. My son loads the dishwasher and he also washes all the saucepans and roasting dishes by hand. Husband sorts out any leftovers to put in fridge. It has worked well like this for years. Nobody needs reminding.

Primrose you could be talking about our family with just a few differences. My DGC set the table and clear away the clutter and my Son in law loads the Dishwasher. DD helps with the cooking and serving and DH sorts the leftovers.

AreWeThereYet Fri 15-Dec-23 17:59:28

I suspect it's aimed at families where Mum works and doesn't have much time to herself and Dad and teenage children do nothing to help out. I'm always a bit staggered when I meet teenagers who have never even used a vacuum cleaner or washed up but they exist.

RosiesMaw Fri 15-Dec-23 18:18:38

Make tea - me
Prepare breakfast - me
Load dishwasher- me
Aha at last!
Puppy pre-wash programme - Rosie! 🐶

RosiesMaw Fri 15-Dec-23 18:20:36

Like this

Mollygo Fri 15-Dec-23 19:16:39

RosiesMaw love the cartoon!
Our pre-wash dog has made my DGS keener to get the dishes into the dishwasher and shut the door! Not even the knowledge that the dishwasher cleans at a high temperature stops him hating the idea that he might get a plate our dog has licked!
I call that a win!😁

Witzend Fri 15-Dec-23 19:29:52

Our old dog did a great pre-wash. Her favourites were a fish pie dish, and the roasting tin - preferably with a bit of leftover gravy added. She’d keep at them until barely a molecule remained. (This was before they went in the dishwasher.)

Many years ago there was a letter in the Times saying that dogs were basically useless vermin, and apart from any working dogs, should be banned.

I wrote back in a light vein, quoting our dog’s usefulness in the pre-wash department.

It was printed, in the days when they also printed your address, and I had a delightful letter from an old chap telling me how his Jack Russell would get right in the dishwasher to carry out his task. We kept up a doggy correspondence for some time.

ginny Fri 15-Dec-23 20:02:44

Everyone mucks in here. If they didn’t they would soon be told to.
Our children were always told that Christmas is for Mums too.

CanadianGran Fri 15-Dec-23 21:23:10

We do all our prep the evening before, including setting the table. My DH does all the clearing, although I will help with washing once everything is rinsed and stacked. We don't have a dishwasher. The family has offered, but we like our space in the kitchen and usually say no thank you.

But second son usually is barkeep, saving us running downstairs to our extra fridge. None of our family stays over, they are just at ours on Christmas day from 11ish to late afternoon, so no housekeeping necessary.

merlotgran Fri 15-Dec-23 21:30:05

I just smile sweetly and so as I’m told!

Jaxjacky Fri 15-Dec-23 21:34:47

My daughter and grandchildren prep veg Christmas Eve, our granddaughter makes pigs in blankets too, even though she’s vegetarian.
Grandchildren lay the table, I cook, MrJ clears up, loads and runs the dishwasher, there’s no rush for anything, everything can wait for a cracker joke, or seconds.

JackyB Sat 16-Dec-23 09:57:22

I don't like anyone "helping" me in the kitchen. It's a very small and narrow kitchen anyway. I just try and have everything ready for when the guests get here. Clearing away afterwards is similar - there's just not room for everyone to be in there. I do as much as I can beforehand so that the kitchen is ready to take the dirty plates. I run a quicker programme in the dishwasher as it takes about three goes on Christmas day after lunch, but I increase the temperature to make sure everything gets a thorough clean.