Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas cake when someone has a nut allergy.

(7 Posts)
GrannyRose15 Sat 25-Nov-23 18:37:03

I have always decorated my Christmas cake with a layer of marzipan and a layer of fondant icing. Now we have discovered my DGS is allergic to nuts so can’t eat almonds. I have made a nut free cake this year but am struggling to think of how to decorate it if I can’t use marzipan. Does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 25-Nov-23 18:40:04

Cake frill round the outside, layer of melted apricot jam on the top with glacé fruits.

SueDonim Sat 25-Nov-23 19:03:04

If you leave it until fairly last minute you can cover it with fondant icing, as normal. smile

Marydoll Sat 25-Nov-23 19:24:33

My son has a nut allergy and I used to cover my Christmas cake in a layer of glace icing, let it set and then covered the cake in Royal icing.

We all dislike marzipan, so it was never an issue.

Theexwife Sat 25-Nov-23 20:18:46

You could use semolina instead of ground almonds to make a nut free marzipan.

Casdon Sat 25-Nov-23 20:38:22

In my experience children aren’t keen on Christmas cake, so I’m afraid I’d get him a delicious alternative, and make my usual cake.

lixy Sat 25-Nov-23 21:10:55

GrannyGravy13

Cake frill round the outside, layer of melted apricot jam on the top with glacé fruits.

We do this.
It looks beautiful (if I say so myself!) using dark prunes, light glace pineapple, dried apricots and glace cherries. You can make all sorts of designs or put the fruits on at random. If you paint a layer of melted apricot jam over the top it shines.

I usually melt the jam half and half with water and then sieve it to make a smooth glaze. In recent years, as the chn have grown up, I put a slug of brandy in too for good measure!