Gransnet forums

Christmas

Parcels

(8 Posts)
Murraymint Tue 21-Nov-23 18:02:39

I had a delivery today . The item was not much bigger than a matchbox. It came in a very large box. It would have been big enough to put a Christmas annual inside! Why do companies feel they have to over wrap. ? It is a total waste of paper This makes me so cross it is such a waste.

OldFrill Tue 21-Nov-23 18:15:34

It's cheaper or a distributor to buy a restricted range of boxes (say 3 sizes) than a more varied size range.
It's easier, more space efficient and more importantly faster, for the packer to have few packing size options.
The smaller the package the more likely it is to get lost.
They will claim the packaging is recyclable and that's them off the hook.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 09-Dec-23 17:05:41

I just read the opposite opinion, namely that sending small items in big boxes means that the companies are sending a parcel that mainly consists of air, that the bigger than necessary boxes fill up the vans transporting them faster than boxes of graduated sizes would and the delivery points' shelves as well.

These factors make delivery time longer, affect the environment, as not all packaging is recycled and more fuel s used for transporting the goods than would be needed if goods were packed in boxes that suited the amount of items.

There would be no point in my providing my source as it was the Danish Co-op's magazine for customers and therefore in Danish.

Theexwife Sat 09-Dec-23 17:31:14

If it was delivered in a matchbox-sized parcel it could have easily got lost in the sorting process, there is a minimum parcel size that Royal Mail will take.

Oreo Sat 09-Dec-23 20:43:17

Theexwife

If it was delivered in a matchbox-sized parcel it could have easily got lost in the sorting process, there is a minimum parcel size that Royal Mail will take.

That makes sense.

Coolgran65 Sat 09-Dec-23 21:17:22

I need boxes to send family gifts within the UK and abroad. I send up to 2kg and the relevant box size costs me £5.40 at the Post office. I am therefore glad to receive decent sized boxes.
I consider it recycling.

rafichagran Sat 09-Dec-23 21:23:55

I don't care so long as my parcel gets to me safely, and I can recycle the packaging.

RosiesMaw Sat 09-Dec-23 21:28:56

I think some people must have too much time on their hands hmm