Gransnet forums

Christmas

Do you still buy Xmas bits even though...........

(4 Posts)
swampy1961 Wed 21-Dec-22 21:50:35

......... your Christmas maybe different this time? Even though we are not hosting Xmas at home this year, we are contributing towards my daughter as she is cooking. My son is taking a turn at his girlfriends family (they have alternated ever since they got together with the exception of COVID lockdowns) DH's AC's have their own alternating arrangements with their various in-laws with us dropping in to share a glass of wine and watch the GC's open their presents on Xmas morning.
But I digress - I still buy the cheese, nibbles, frozen bits, sweets, wine and Baileys just because we like to have them in to enjoy with guests who drop in and also just because we like them!!
Christmas for us is one long extended enjoyable few weeks which can last well into January. You won't find us shopping the day after Boxing Day although I can imagine some households may have been cleared out by their own family celebrations.

tanith Wed 21-Dec-22 22:36:09

I live alone and will be with family Christmas Day but I’ve bought myself some nice meals and desserts, some savoury nibbles and nice chocolates, it will last me well into January.

lixy Wed 21-Dec-22 22:41:15

Certainly do: crackers to go with cheese, Lindt chocolates because the wrapping is a cheery Christmas red, for under the tree, a tin of Quality Street, pickled onions, twiglets, cheese straws - all only found in our house at Christmas time.

All there this year in a special Christmas carrier bag in the spare room, even though we won't be at home this Christmas. My Mum is poorly so I'm here now and will be for a while, OH coming on C Day. I guess they'll keep!

henetha Wed 21-Dec-22 23:24:24

Yes, same as Tanith really. Alone apart from Christmas day probably, so have stocked up with some treats.
I quite like that bit between Christmas and New year when all the pressure is
off and you can just relax and chill out .