Gransnet forums

Christmas

Cheesy Mince pies anyone?

(15 Posts)
DaisyAlice Tue 20-Dec-22 21:06:25

Waitrose are selling Pear and Fig mince pies in cheese pastry. I don't think I'll buy any but could be nice? I'm not a fan of peel so I made my own mincemeat this year with sultanas, apricots and cherries. I made a sweet shortcrust pastry and placed a thin disc of marzipan on top of the mincemeat. My best mince pies to date.

Grannybags Tue 20-Dec-22 21:11:51

Could be nice...but I don't think I'll risk it!

Grandmadinosaur Tue 20-Dec-22 21:11:57

I’ve seen these in the store and must admit they do sound a strange combination. On one of the taste tests I read they didn’t come out too favourably.

Zoejory Tue 20-Dec-22 21:15:09

Yours sound much nicer, DaisyAlice. I think I'll pass on the ones from Waitrose!

Hetty58 Tue 20-Dec-22 21:18:42

They are probably very tasty (but I don't like even the vegan mince pies). My brother used to love rich fruit cake - but just had to have a large slice of cheese with it - so it's not such a new combination.

Wyllow3 Tue 20-Dec-22 21:35:20

I'll test if its free.

No problem. Actually quite like the sound of them, but hardly think they can be called "mince" pies!

Kate1949 Tue 20-Dec-22 21:39:21

I like fruit cake with cheese.

DaisyAlice Tue 20-Dec-22 21:39:25

I've looked online and the ingredients include mixed Vine fruits. I agree, fruit and cheese not a new combination.

DaisyAlice Tue 20-Dec-22 21:40:55

My MIL used to have digestives and cheese. I'm getting a bit peckish now lol.

MrsKen33 Wed 21-Dec-22 05:32:27

I always put a dollop of cream cheese on top of the mincemeat in my mince pies.

grandMattie Wed 21-Dec-22 05:53:44

On the other hand, if you had a cheese board, figs and pears go well together. I don’t care much for figs or cheese, but there’s no accounting for tastes.

NotAGran55 Wed 21-Dec-22 06:44:07

A colleague eats a mince pie with Stilton she was telling me on Monday. She removes the lid, places a piece of Stilton inside, replaces the lid, warms it up and eats it.

Ruination of Stilton for me which I love as I don’t like mince pie.

My husband only eats cheddar cheese with digestives, no other biscuit. No butter.

JackyB Wed 21-Dec-22 08:22:40

MrsKen33

I always put a dollop of cream cheese on top of the mincemeat in my mince pies.

This sounds nice. I like a dollop of crème fraîche or cream cheese (cold) on a hot mince pie.

JackyB Wed 21-Dec-22 08:23:37

DaisyAlice

Waitrose are selling Pear and Fig mince pies in cheese pastry. I don't think I'll buy any but could be nice? I'm not a fan of peel so I made my own mincemeat this year with sultanas, apricots and cherries. I made a sweet shortcrust pastry and placed a thin disc of marzipan on top of the mincemeat. My best mince pies to date.

Do you put the marzipan lid on before or after baking?

Lovetopaint037 Thu 22-Dec-22 23:35:03

David Dimbleby’s wife wrote a recipe book some years ago,and she had a little cream cheese on top of the mincemeat. She used shortcrust pastry. They were very nice as the cream cheese off set the sweetness of the mincemeat. I don’t fancy the combination of pear and fig - ugh!