Gransnet forums

Christmas

Presents or gift vouchers...

(21 Posts)
IrishDancing Sat 29-Oct-22 22:59:56

DD and DS have both asked for vouchers rather than presents for grandchildren this year. I like giving presents (and will buy a small one each for them) and asked why vouchers? They both said that as children they really looked forward to spending their Christmas money (as it was in those days) and wanted to give their children that too. I don’t mind at all now! 😊

MaryMary1952 Sun 23-Oct-22 23:10:53

I have this urge to pop into London and come home with bags of presents like I did years ago. I’m fed up giving cash or vouchers so I’ve asked their parents for ideas and off I’ll go, making a whole day of it, lunch and dinner. I save monthly for each grandchild so the budget won’t be huge but I’m determined to try and get back a bit of excitement on Christmas Day. There are 5 children ranging from 6 to 14. Wish me luck!

Witzend Sun 23-Oct-22 19:36:40

For the two mid-teens on my list, for the past couple of years I’ve given cash, wrapped round a little something to open. Last year it was hot chocolate ‘bombes’ that contained mini marshmallows. Apparently they went down well.

Jaxjacky Sun 23-Oct-22 19:32:46

We all make lists, including teenage grandchildren, we have a shared WhatsApp space this year rather than bits of paper!

Alioop Sun 23-Oct-22 19:26:45

I'd just make up a stocking with Xmas tubes of sweets, chocolate and bathbombs, etc, and put the vouchers at the bottom.

ParlorGames Sun 23-Oct-22 19:21:07

Cash to the value of the budget for each of the GC plus a small gift so they have a present to open. At least two of the GC are saving up for specific things so the cash will be welcome.

LOUISA1523 Sun 23-Oct-22 19:15:09

Cash and chocolate

Calendargirl Sun 23-Oct-22 17:53:58

Hard cash, better than vouchers. Can spend it anywhere.

AGAA4 Sun 23-Oct-22 16:44:16

I always give money to my teenage GCs. It always seems to be in short supply with them.
I give them chocolates as well. Something else they enjoy.

Teacheranne Sun 23-Oct-22 16:19:17

So far I’ve given vouchers to the adults and cash to my teenage niece and nephew. I always ask the adults which voucher they want as I give one between each couple so sometimes one of them has a specific present in mind. I also give them a small gift to open.

This year my niece is 20 and my nephew 16 so am going to ask their mum if they would prefer cash or vouchers. For their birthday, I transfer money into their bank accounts but for some unknown reason, I find that impersonal at Christmas!

Kim19 Sun 23-Oct-22 16:16:19

Don't do vouchers. Bankruptcy often invalidates them. I consult with parents, give my budget and gratefully purchase what they suggest. Slip them the odd cash throughout the year when we meet up.

Grannybags Sun 23-Oct-22 16:11:11

Mine aren't old enough yet but I would give cash not vouchers so they can spend it it any shop

Norah Sun 23-Oct-22 15:28:52

We give cash, wrapped up in a box, additional jokey gifts.

62Granny Sun 23-Oct-22 11:50:13

I would say cash instead of vouchers with the present economic climate , look how quickly Debenhams went under, unless they ask for a specific place that they like going to regularly . Like others have said a small gift like socks std so there is something to open.

NotAGran55 Sun 23-Oct-22 11:45:00

Most definitely voucher rather than presents if you are certain is a place they would use it.
However, my boys and 3 nieces all preferred cash attached to a decent bar of chocolate.
( We had unused vouchers languishing in drawers unfortunately. Found after my boys left home )

GrannyGravy13 Sun 23-Oct-22 11:40:25

Novelty chocolate and/or socks wrapped up with money.

I am not a fan of vouchers either Razzamataz for the same reason.

Redhead56 Sun 23-Oct-22 11:29:52

Mine are only very young but they know what they want. Our DIL says they delight in picking what they want and handing the little card to the cashier.

Razzamatazz Sun 23-Oct-22 11:29:15

With the current economic unrest I'd give money instead, just in case the company goes down.

Redhead56 Sun 23-Oct-22 11:27:35

I buy a little gift to wrap and vouchers from the post office they can be used in a lot of places. They are always well received in our family.

GrannySeaside51 Sun 23-Oct-22 11:26:41

That was supposed to be wimping out not wiping out - autocorrect ?

GrannySeaside51 Sun 23-Oct-22 11:25:07

...for teenage grandchildren? That just about says it all!

Last year despite careful thought on my part, and although my grandchildren were very polite feining delight, I could sense they were not overly excited with what granny gave them. Now I’m seriously thinking of gift vouchers but is that wiping out? What do you do?