Gransnet forums

Christmas

Stockings for adult children

(38 Posts)
LovelyCuppa Thu 06-Oct-22 14:17:07

If you have adult children who are married and have lived away from home for some years now, do you still do a stocking for them? We didn't see my husband's mum on Christmas Day last year, but she gave him a big stocking along with his Christmas present when we saw her the weekend before.

I didn't think much of it at the time, but I'm sorting a cupboard today and I've just found a load of toiletries, pants and other things that he probably liked as a teenager but hasn't liked for years! No harm done but I'm wondering if he'll get another one this year and if he should steer her more towards things he now likes so it doesn't all get wasted again.

Mamma66 Sun 23-Oct-22 05:40:56

I used to do stockings for my nephews and nieces, this carried on until well into adulthood. I made hints about stopping them some years ago but which were not well received ? Only stopped doing them about four years ago. The ‘children’ range from 23 to 31!

BigBertha1 Tue 11-Oct-22 22:14:46

No stockings here. Never had one in fact.

swampy1961 Tue 11-Oct-22 22:12:16

We don't do stockings but have 'cr*p sacks' for immediate family - that is to say 'my family' as it's something I have done for my AC since they were kids.
They started off as little things like mini toys, colouring books and so on. Now they are adults (with other halves) it has progressed to couples but still with small but generally useful items along with some humorous items like a pack of monster munch (much loved by my son-in-law)- the challenge is to keep the cost low. I never could understand Christmas 'stocking fillers' at £10+ that's ridiculous!!
But every family has their own traditions but they don't always work for other families and that's okay.

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 11-Oct-22 19:42:28

When my three children were small I made them all stockings with their initials embroidered on them. I did one for OH too. Now, anyone who is here for Christmas Eve has a stocking, so I have a stack. OH does one for me.

Alioop Tue 11-Oct-22 19:31:32

My mum always gave my sister and I a Christmas stocking up until she died and now my sister and I do one for each other. They contain the same things as we had as kids with a tube of sweets, raspberry ruffles, marshmallows, an apple & a orange. It's a tradition we have had from childhood and one will carry on for every Christmas. Some may think it's really silly, but the stockings bring back lovely memories of our mum.

LOUISA1523 Tue 11-Oct-22 19:10:09

I just do them for my 3 GD now ....my DD does one for my Mum

Norah Tue 11-Oct-22 19:06:10

M0nica, We were GP around 40, GGP by about 60 yrs old.

Thinking we'll be GGGP soon, if our GGC do the same to their mums.

We married at 16/17. Had our first a year later, our fourth 20 years later.

Families vary a lot, don't they?

M0nica Tue 11-Oct-22 18:54:08

GGP are unknown in our family, my inlaws, like my parents died many years ago, but when they were all with us, because DH was an only child his parents always spent Christmas with us, and, as both my sisters were single, they spent Christmas in my parent's house but we all got together on Boxing Day. at my parent's house or ours in alternate years.

We have at various times had other elderly relatives and friends spend the day with us, but not stay.

AreWeThereYet Tue 11-Oct-22 15:55:31

It's difficult because she may already have bought things in sales or at markets. I know what you mean because I hate people spending money on things for me that I never use, especially if you know they don't have much money. I would leave it till after Christmas now, but prepare her for next year by mentioning increasing waistlines a few times long before Christmas grin Perhaps find something she could focus on that DH would enjoy and would allow her to buy a few bits and pieces.

Norah Tue 11-Oct-22 15:32:04

M0nica

I think every family develops its own traditions based on how close they live, family traditions from earlier generations and their own additions /'improvements'.

I always find it interesting reading about what other families do.

I find what other family do interesting too.

I merely wonder, to myself, where the in-laws, GGP, elderly A&U are in these scenarios - if people sleep over at one GP home. And how grandchildren have traditions, trees, gifts/Santa in their homes.

Asking, not derogatory, just curiosity.

M0nica Tue 11-Oct-22 15:00:19

I think every family develops its own traditions based on how close they live, family traditions from earlier generations and their own additions /'improvements'.

I always find it interesting reading about what other families do.

MercuryQueen Tue 11-Oct-22 07:11:18

Our daughter usually spends Christmas Eve plus a few days after (No partner/kids), so she still gets a stocking. Our ‘bonus’ daughter has a partner this year, so not sure what will happen.

Generally speaking, our thinking has been that once the kids have partners to spend Christmas morning with, they take over the stockings, but this will be the first year it’s going to be an issue. Also not sure if bonus dd will spend the holiday with his folks or not.

Stockings here are ‘keep kids busy long enough for parents to get coffee’ gifts. Small things, all wrapped. Candy, lip balm, bubble bath, chocolate oranges, etc.

Witzend Mon 10-Oct-22 23:30:01

Everyone sleeping in this house on Christmas Eve gets a stocking, regardless of age or whether they’re family. It’s the law here. ???

It might consist of just one nice new sock, with the other sock and a few little bits - probably largely edible - stuffed inside it, but the stocking law must be adhered to.

Norah Mon 10-Oct-22 08:00:33

M0nica, Our 4 daughters and their children (our GC) plus grandchildren (our GGC) are local to us. No need to ever stay over at holidays. They stay once in a long while, never holidays. The children have always had tree and gifts at home (we drop off our gifts, to them, several days earlier).

Our children always had tree and gifts at home also.

They eat here quite often, as adults, usually not until late dinner.

Other peoples ways are always interesting.

M0nica Mon 10-Oct-22 07:41:44

We have a single AD daughter, who always joins us for Christmas and DS and family come down to us 3 days after Christmas and stay for the New Year.

A couple of years ago DH was in hospital over Christmas, it was during the COVID restrictions so, although he didn't have COVID, he couldn't be visited, so there was just me and DD. We are a family who love Christmans so all the decorations were done as usual, and the Christmas food was prepared as usual, and, of course, three days afterwards, all the rest of the family arrived.

Norah Mon 10-Oct-22 07:21:52

M0nica Nice approach. What do you do the opposite year?

M0nica Sun 09-Oct-22 23:05:01

My DS, DDiL and DGC spend one Christmas in their own home, where DDiL hosts all her family on Christmas day, as they all live within a few miles of each other and the next Christmas they all come down to us, who live 200 miles away.

The children love spending Christmas in both places. Many of our Christmas day traditions are aligned and the children also enjoy the differences.

Norah Sun 09-Oct-22 20:46:56

I'm surprised so many AC&GC spend CE away from their own home and tree - receiving stockings at GP home.

We drop their pressies off well before Christmas Eve.

Differences make the world go round.

lixy Sun 09-Oct-22 20:42:11

I really enjoy making up stockings for AC and their partners. My children have the ones they have always had, and I made one for each of their partners when they stayed over Christmas Eve night.
They do stockings for their children,
I just feel that they are still our children even though they are all grown up and they all enjoy a bit of special chocolate and a sugar mouse! Nothing expensive, just little things. We deliver them on Christmas Eve.

Lovelycuppa perhaps your OH could engineer a conversation about how tastes change as we get older, especially as we are all having to tighten the purse strings, but I buy things for stockings throughout the year so maybe have the conversation next Summer!

Flaxseed Sun 09-Oct-22 20:20:20

I moved on from stockings to ‘Couples bags’ now.
Just a nice (recyclable) gift bag with items such as car air fresheners, scented candle for the home. Pair of socks each, chocolates and other gifts that are useful or a gift voucher for Costa or a restaurant
They love them

Georgesgran Fri 07-Oct-22 16:06:25

Always did stockings for my Adult DDs.
A mascara, socks, chocolate, individual bath bomb, pre-paid card for Costa/Starbucks. All useful and not gimmicky.
However, the past 3 years have been different and they haven’t stayed on Christmas Eve, so it’s sort of died out, which is a bit of a shame.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 07-Oct-22 15:50:25

I made my and adult gc stockings with their names on and decorations. I then filled them and included as a main present a gift voucher as well as puzzles, a comic or puzzle book, sweets and various other nick knacks, they loved them and have asked to have them again this year.

NotSpaghetti Fri 07-Oct-22 15:31:28

Posted too soon - so ours are like yours ginny

NotSpaghetti Fri 07-Oct-22 15:30:10

Only stockings come from Santa in our family.
Other gifts are from the person who gifted them.

ginny Fri 07-Oct-22 13:53:00

I still do stockings for my 3 DDs. The two that are married have to share with their husbands. These are filled with small but useful gift and a few favourite sweets or foodstuffs. I also add a few bit to the Grandsons stockings.
All seem to be well received.
As children they were always told the stocking gifts came from Father Christmas . The other gifts were delivered by him on behalf of friends and relatives.