Gransnet forums

Chat

(23 Posts)
Biscuitmuncher Mon 18-Mar-24 16:28:20

So I've like noticed my daughter and like all her friends like add like to like everything they like say! Last week she said " We went in like a car" I said was it a car or like a car? She wasn't impressed. I'm actually counting the word now in our conversations, it's driving me mad!

Rockyroad Mon 18-Mar-24 16:34:32

Couldn’t agree more it’s dreadful. Absolutely no need for it whatsoever.

Theexwife Mon 18-Mar-24 16:38:26

I dislike the over use of like and basically “ so basically I like got into the car”

Also dislike the “ I’m not gonna lie” when used before a statement , I assume that you are not going to lie when you tell me something.

Biscuitmuncher Mon 18-Mar-24 16:46:53

Theexwife yes like basically it's a filler word isn't it

Georgesgran Mon 18-Mar-24 16:52:59

I saw an episode of Judge Judy last week where she asked a chap (late teens) to construct a sentence without using like.
Everytime he began, he had to stop speaking after two words and in the end, very frustrated, he gave up trying!

petra Mon 18-Mar-24 16:53:48

Many people irritated by people who start a sentence with so

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 18-Mar-24 16:54:56

It’s dreadful. They sound so inarticulate.

Smileless2012 Mon 18-Mar-24 16:55:58

As well as interjecting 'like' I find 'kind of' extremely annoying too

Mel1967 Mon 18-Mar-24 16:58:46

“Can I get” instead of “Please May I have”
really irritates me 😠

Shelflife Mon 18-Mar-24 17:33:58

I too hate ' can I get' and TV chefs who say ' what you want to do is ..... ' rather than ' what you need to do '

winterwhite Mon 18-Mar-24 17:34:43

This really should be driven out at school. Not heard in younger children? Seems to come in the sloppy teenage years - via television programmes?. Dreadful in the recounting of something that happened, 'And I was like omg, and he was like...'

Esmay Mon 18-Mar-24 19:47:19

I was having a nice conversation with a teenage girl when her friend joined us .
They went straight into newspeak .
I tried to make an appointment with the surgery from hell and the receptionist told me that she'd thrown me " into the mix ".
I hate OMG .
On the shopping channels : the presenters are fond of saying " you've got the navy ".
No I haven't got the navy , the pink or the green , because I haven't bought the item .
The other much used word is iconic .

JamesandJon33 Tue 19-Mar-24 16:22:49

I hate the ubiquitous WOW

Cossy Tue 19-Mar-24 16:25:08

It drives me mad too and so to ask that question! “ like a car or a car”

Astitchintime Tue 19-Mar-24 16:30:51

It really irks me when random complete strangers - shop assistant, bus driver, air steward, medic, for example - say "see you later"when your paths will never cross again.

crazyH Tue 19-Mar-24 16:36:37

Sorry to sound nasty, but I also dislike starting a sentence with the word ‘so’ as the OP has done.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 19-Mar-24 16:41:23

I really dislike ‘lol’. Every time I see it (which is only on GN) I want to scream.

Cossy Tue 19-Mar-24 16:55:08

Mel1967

really irritates me 😠

When I was young and said “can I have… please”, my mother and Grampa both used to reply “yes you can, but you may not” drove me nuts, but I then used it with my own children!! I also hate So (sorry OP) at the beginning of sentences! My (not so) DSiL does this constantly!

HousePlantQueen Tue 19-Mar-24 16:59:44

Cossy

Mel1967

really irritates me 😠

When I was young and said “can I have… please”, my mother and Grampa both used to reply “yes you can, but you may not” drove me nuts, but I then used it with my own children!! I also hate So (sorry OP) at the beginning of sentences! My (not so) DSiL does this constantly!

Gosh yes! My senior school English teacher always corrected us on this. '

'Can I go to the toilet please?'

'Yes, I am sure you can, but no, you may not'

Macadia Tue 19-Mar-24 17:22:58

The one I don't like is, "To be honest," before a statement. It makes me wonder, "What have you been all of the other times you spoke?"

Cossy Tue 19-Mar-24 17:29:58

How about “with all due respect”, before some rude systems, which is anything but respectful!

Maggiemaybe Tue 19-Mar-24 17:48:27

How about “literally”, when it’s not? “I literally died”. You obviously didn’t. “As I said”, when it’s the first time it’s been mentioned. “He turned round and said …….., so I turned round and said ……..” always reminds me of the little wooden people on those very old mechanical clocks, popping out and spinning round then gliding back in.

HowVeryDareYou2 Tue 19-Mar-24 17:51:03

"Like" irritates me, too. Also, why is everything "awesome"??or "super" - eg. Super excited, super tired, super expensive??