Gransnet forums

Chat

Alarm system

(4 Posts)
Luckygirl3 Mon 18-Mar-24 11:13:22

I have been on an alarm system for some years - I simply took it over from my OH after he died. I have a neck pendant and can press that and get through to a central hub, who then contact the numbers they have been given by me, or ambulance if appropriate. There is also a link to one of the smoke alarms in the house.

The other night I put on the kettle (that is in my bedroom for cups of tea and hot water bottles) and then went to the bathroom. Quite quickly the smoke alarm started to sound - I had left the lid up on the kettle and the steam had triggered it.

I was very impressed that within a few seconds of it starting to sound a voice came through the alarm unit asking me if I was OK and did I need a fire engine!

I just thought I would pass this on, as I found it very reassuring, now that I am on my own, and others might consider linking up to this system - it is very efficient.

Grannybags Mon 18-Mar-24 11:31:14

That’s good to know. It sounds very efficient and reassuring

kittylester Mon 18-Mar-24 11:38:18

A note of caution though.

It is very important to stress the order of those on your contact list. My friend had a fall, pressed the button and the call handler rang her son who lives 200 miles away - because he was her son.

We were actually no 1 on her call list as we are only about half an hour away.

V3ra Mon 18-Mar-24 11:56:50

These alarm systems are a great thing to have.
Can I also say please wear your button at all times, including in bed? My Dad wears his on his wrist, I bought him a watch strap for it.
At first he'd leave it on the bedside table all night. I asked him what he would do if he fell in the bathroom and couldn't get up?
"I'd haul myself along the floor on my elbows to get it," was his helpful reply 🙄