Gransnet forums

Chat

Tempus Fugit- Yes, It Really Does!

(23 Posts)
Calendargirl Sat 16-Mar-24 15:58:51

I started school at 5 years old, left at 16.

11 years, it seemed like eternity.

It’s now 11 years since I left work and retired.

But this seems like nothing at all.

Why?

Time goes at the same pace as always.

It’s so scary, my life is slipping away, but when I was a child, it seemed forever between Bonfire Night and Christmas Eve.

Oh, those halcyon days!

ginny Sat 16-Mar-24 16:04:07

So true!
9 months growing a baby seemed like a eternity. Her 46th birthday this week, years gone in a flash.

Chestnut Sat 16-Mar-24 16:27:41

I read about this a while back. Our concept of time depends on how many new experiences we fit in during that period. A child has new experiences every day and their brain cells are firing all over the place. Therefore a year seems like ages to them.

By the time we're retired we mostly repeat the same things every day, and the more we do this the faster time goes.

However, if you go on holiday and have a lot of new experiences then two weeks can seem a lot longer. You probably think 'Goodness, have we only been here three days, it seems much longer' (because you've done so much in those three days).

This means that living in a care home is probably not as bad as we think because the days are literally going to fly by!

JamesandJon33 Sat 16-Mar-24 16:47:37

The summer school holiday was endless.

Kate1949 Sat 16-Mar-24 17:03:56

We were talking about this last night. One minute I was swanning down the street in my mini skirt turning heads and feeling on top of the world. In the blink of an eye someone is calling me nan. My husband is 78 today. 78! Don't get me wrong we are grateful to be here but what once felt like a lot of time stretched out ahead now feels like we are living on borrowed time.

25Avalon Sat 16-Mar-24 17:12:21

“Time flies mind your business” it says on the church clock in Furneux (pronounced Furnix) Pelham in Hertfordshire. It does seem to fly faster as you get older. Isn’t it what Einstein called relative?

Oldnproud Sat 16-Mar-24 17:30:10

I remember being very aware at 16 of how the five years at secondary school had flown by in comparison to the 'lifetime' before that.
From then on, life has just kept accelerating at a horrendously fast rate.

Now I am in my 60s, and only today was listening to one of my sons bemoaning how unbelievably quickly the last 20 years have flown and how he can't quite believe that he is now in his 40s.
I didn't have the heart to tell him that the next 20 years will go far more quickly than he can possibly imagine!

My mum is in her 90s, and I'm sure she would tell me that for her, the last 20 years have gone even faster, and I can certainly believe to that - in fact, even to me, it feels that those years have gone even faster for her than they have for me. I remember her 60th birthday perfectly, and find it hard to believe that it was over 30 years ago!

In my mind, I feel no different from how I did 20 or even 30 years ago, but my body certainly keeps reminding me that i am no longer young. 😔

sodapop Sat 16-Mar-24 17:33:21

Exactly how I feel Kate1949

pascal30 Sat 16-Mar-24 17:35:17

It'scertainly true about new experiences.. if I do a new course or
go to an exhibition my day certainly feels longer than a day spent at home which seems to whizz by.. but it is so dependent on having the energy to do things nowdays

Kate1949 Sat 16-Mar-24 17:38:20

Thia sums up how I feel.

grannyactivist Sat 16-Mar-24 17:38:21

A year at the age of ten is a tenth of your life, but at the age of seventy it’s only a seventieth - hence; tempos fugit.

grannyactivist Sat 16-Mar-24 17:38:46

Tempus! Grrr!

Calendargirl Sat 16-Mar-24 18:14:24

I saw that picture Kate.

Didn’t know whether to laugh or cry!

Dottydots Sat 16-Mar-24 18:43:30

I cried!!!

Oldnproud Sat 16-Mar-24 18:54:27

I felt like crying, but only because I never looked like those girls even when I was that age. 😔

NotSpaghetti Sat 16-Mar-24 19:34:38

JamesandJon33

The summer school holiday was endless.

No. It was way too short!
Mine was (only) 9 weeks!

NotSpaghetti Sat 16-Mar-24 19:38:49

Kate I love that photo. How stunning they are. 😍

Urmstongran Sat 16-Mar-24 19:46:49

grannyactivist

A year at the age of ten is a tenth of your life, but at the age of seventy it’s only a seventieth - hence; tempos fugit.

Exactly grannyactivist I read that explanation once and it totally illustrated how the passage of time works!

Urmstongran Sat 16-Mar-24 19:48:04

More 60’s girls. I loved them!

Kate1949 Sat 16-Mar-24 20:46:43

I sort of did look like those girls. It was a great time. I look at myself now and can't believe I looked like that once. Still that's life.

Mollygo Sat 16-Mar-24 21:16:59

Grannyactivist I think you’re right about the fraction of life.
It isn’t helped by the marketing-Christmas cards in August, hot cross buns and Easter eggs from January all seem to rush us onwards.
I do find though that the days between my work days go faster than they do when school’s out. On the other hand the summer break goes faster than the first half of the autumn term.

NotSpaghetti Sun 17-Mar-24 18:22:15

Kate where was the lovely photo from? Who was the photographer?

Kate1949 Sun 17-Mar-24 18:26:58

I don't know NS. My sister sent it to me. It looks like It's from Facebook. A site called 60s Around Sounds Music.