Gransnet forums

Chat

Sainsbury’s online

(22 Posts)
Bea65 Sat 16-Mar-24 11:39:07

Is anyone waiting on a delivery today? It seems there is a ?Uk delivery problem and Sainsbury’s also cannot contact shoppers??

Theexwife Sat 16-Mar-24 11:42:32

Ask on Sainsbury’s social media, I doubt there is enough people on here shopping at Sainsbury’s now to be of any help.

Theexwife Sat 16-Mar-24 11:44:54

I take that back, it is a country wide problem involving other supermarkets as well.

Sparklefizz Sat 16-Mar-24 11:58:00

I was due a delivery this morning. Apparently the problem was mentioned on Radio 4 earlier.

The Sainsbury's supermarkets are only able to accept cash so I expect there's a long queue at the cash machines.

I've had no problem ordering from Waitrose instead for a delivery slot tomorrow.

Bea65 Sat 16-Mar-24 11:58:08

Theexwife these technical issues are quite concerning if it affects all online shopping/ delivery systems 😟

Jaxjacky Sat 16-Mar-24 12:00:45

Sparklefizz they can take cards with the PIN number, just not contactless.

Theexwife Sat 16-Mar-24 12:02:04

A country could easily be brought down by hacking into supermarkets systems and the system that controls traffic lights. Not being able to purchase food or drive safely would be so disruptive.

Nandalot Sat 16-Mar-24 12:06:19

I posted just a bit before you OP. Our Tesco delivery today has been cancelled because the system is out. I have heard Macsonald’s was out worldwide the other day because of computer problem.

Nandalot Sat 16-Mar-24 12:07:13

I shall ask MNHQ to delete my thread.

25Avalon Sat 16-Mar-24 12:09:18

Just placed order with Iceland instead. I need the order for post match food tomorrow and can’t take a chance.I had confirmation time from Sainsbury’s early this morning but no list of stock so I don’t think they are coming.

25Avalon Sat 16-Mar-24 12:13:07

Statement from Sainsbury’s on Somerset live - vast majority of online orders will not be delivered today. They will contact customers to rebook delivery.

Pittcity Sat 16-Mar-24 12:44:09

I popped into Sainsbury's earlier.
I usually do a Smart Shop. Got half way round before I heard announcement.
Our store only has 2 manned checkouts and is mostly self service. The machines were working very slowly.
Luckily I had emergency cash as the chip and pin payment was only working sporadically.

The news says it was due to an overnight update that went wrong.

Fair2good Sat 16-Mar-24 13:02:37

It’s all very worrying. I don’t understand the dependence on technology to the extent there is nowadays. You just read about one hack after another. And as soon as the power goes out everything grinds to a halt. You’d think there would be some kind of fail safe system in place to prevent this happening.

EkwaNimitee Sat 16-Mar-24 13:11:51

I was in Sainsbury's store in Carlisle early this morning, it was fairly chaotic. I checked my goods through the card only self service till. The card was declined twice, first contactless and then using pin, Finally had use the self service that took cash, successfully. It seems the serviced tills also stopped accepting cards whilst I was there. Other folk were dashing outside to the cashpoint which the store luckily had outside and which was working. Had all been going on since the store opened.

25Avalon Sat 16-Mar-24 13:16:35

It is concerning how much we rely on Wi-fi. Ours went down at the clubhouse two weeks ago. We couldn’t access the heating or hot water via Hive App but were fortunately able to do it manually. No remote access to the CCTV cameras and the card payment machine was out but we were able to switch to a cash float we keep for emergencies. A lot of customers however had no cash, only their card. Must be a real problem for in store shoppers to get cash today.

Mollygo Sat 16-Mar-24 13:19:57

There seems to be a flood of these at the moment.
A message that FB was down
A message that McDonalds could not do online orders and now Sainsbury’s et al.

25Avalon Sat 16-Mar-24 14:20:22

I’ve just had an email from Sainsbury’s CEO apologising and telling me I won’t be charged - I should think not - and I can place an online replacement for tomorrow onwards - too late already gone to Iceland. Email still doesn’t say for definite my order isn’t coming, only that the vaste majority won’t be. Idk why they don’t just say they are all cancelled.

biglouis Sat 16-Mar-24 15:09:25

My Tesco order was late today but it did arrive. When I phoned customer services an agent told me that "some of the stores" had issues with the order picking system and the deliveries might be late. He then checked and told me mine was on the way and gave me an approxmate delivery time. I later learned than many Tesco customers country wide were not getting their orders so I was lucky.

No shops here and I have no transport. However I always have sufficient in the fridge/freezer to last a few days and some tinned stuff in the cupboard.

Lovetopaint037 Sat 16-Mar-24 17:51:31

Before Covid I had been a Waitrose online customer a couple of years before and a shop customer at a store using their loyalty card. I also had shopped at Asda for a couple of years. I also used to shop at a local Sainsbury’s with a long term nectar card. However, come Covid and the prospect of having to shop at an early hour which I couldn’t see myself managing I tried to get online shopping from Waitrose and Asda with no luck at all. Then found aSainsbury’s automated telephone number and having answered some questions I was told they would get back to me within 24 hours. When I picked up the phone a voice said they had classed me as vulnerable and I could order shopping. I never thought that being classed as vulnerable would give me such relief. So they served me when I really needed it and I have continued with them doing a weekly shop at a set time which comes from one of the large stores which offers decent vegetables and other things I need. If they replace items which are more expensive they give me the difference via a voucher within a couple of days. If I don’t want anything( which is rare) the driver deducts the items from the bill and has given me the item if I can make use of it. Customer service is good and I get nectar points and special nectar prices. Overall I have little to complain about and am satisfied. I had my delivery yesterday so was lucky there.

MayBee70 Sat 16-Mar-24 17:54:23

A shop that I support had the same problem today. A huge drop in revenue for a small city centre business.

Mollygo Sat 16-Mar-24 18:45:04

Sainsbury’s self serve tills were working this afternoon and you could shop with your phone, but their hand held devices were still off line.

lemsip Sat 16-Mar-24 18:47:21

Sainsbury's said technical issues left it unable to fulfil the "vast majority" of online deliveries on Saturday, with contactless payments also affected.

The supermarket apologised, saying an overnight software update was to blame.

Tesco also apologised after unrelated technical issues forced it to cancel some deliveries.

Both companies said the issues had now been resolved, with Sainsbury's saying new orders could be delivered from Sunday and contactless was working

.https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68584235