Gransnet forums

Chat

Sell by/Use by dates!

(12 Posts)
Cossy Fri 15-Mar-24 14:26:51

My adult children, and many of their peers, (my three are in their twenties) seem to set such store by food use/eat by dates.

So many times I’ve come into our kitchen to find them about to out perfectly good, useable, edible food into the bin aaaggghhh! I rescue it and time and time again the food, past it’s dates, has been completely fine!

Anyone else find this with younger generations ?

Freya5 Fri 15-Mar-24 14:42:45

Yes, brainwashed by EU directives. No common sense, use by , different to best before, cannot differentiate, cant smell. Although wouldn't use sea food after use by date. Most other stuff no problems. Slimy bacon, ham don't use. Used yoghurt week after use by date. Not opened no bacteria entering. Too much choice, too much wastage.

MissInterpreted Fri 15-Mar-24 14:55:02

I agree - my son is paranoid about the dates on food. Just use your common sense - we all grew up without dates on food packaging and we're all still here to tell the tale!

Theexwife Fri 15-Mar-24 15:15:30

I dont understand why fruit and veg is packaged in plastic with a best before date on, it is nessersary to feel, look and smell, it can be in date but past its best or not as ripe as you would like.

Food does not go off at midnight on a specific date, even seafood.

Mel1967 Fri 15-Mar-24 15:30:25

I give any food, that’s past its date, to my Husband to taste first. My sense of taste is awful.
If he says it’s ok then I know it’s fine to use 😂

midgey Fri 15-Mar-24 15:57:50

Even salt has a date!

Kim19 Fri 15-Mar-24 16:31:31

I engage sell by dates at point of purchase and move to touch and smell tests when in my ownership.

BlueBelle Fri 15-Mar-24 16:35:38

I have no interest in dates I know if it’s good or bad and often use stuff why past ant dates
My eldest checks hers throughly

petra Fri 15-Mar-24 16:43:16

midgey

Even salt has a date!

And honey 😩 They found some in the pyramids fgs.

Katyj Fri 15-Mar-24 17:33:17

I abide by use by dates. Apparently you can’t smell or taste the bacteria, especially in yogurt. I used to raid my mums fridge twice a week. She used to keep those pre made salad bowls way beyond their use by dates.
Mum started fishing them out of the bin so in the end I took them home with me to bin.

Casdon Fri 15-Mar-24 17:41:46

It depends what it is. I don’t eat meat, fish or eggs that have gone past the use by date. I know somebody who ended up in ITU when he ate prawns that were one day past, and that’s made me wary.

MissInterpreted Fri 15-Mar-24 17:52:05

Casdon

It depends what it is. I don’t eat meat, fish or eggs that have gone past the use by date. I know somebody who ended up in ITU when he ate prawns that were one day past, and that’s made me wary.

I would be very wary about things like fish or shellfish, to be fair.