Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Robert Macfarlane

(47 Posts)
MayBee70 Fri 02-Feb-24 00:09:23

Has anyone read his books? He has a musical collaboration with Johnny Flynn ( Detectorists) in which he writes the lyrics and Johnny dies the music. Listening to him on podcasts his writing is absolutely beautiful. I may have to finally subscribe to Audible because I want to read his books so much but I know I’ll buy them and not find the time to read them. I see he’s been top of the best sellers several times.

srwildav Tue 06-Feb-24 11:51:36

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Aveline Tue 06-Feb-24 12:15:58

Can you access them via 'Borrowbox' on your library? It's free.

seadragon Tue 06-Feb-24 15:46:05

MayBee70

Has anyone read his books? He has a musical collaboration with Johnny Flynn ( Detectorists) in which he writes the lyrics and Johnny dies the music. Listening to him on podcasts his writing is absolutely beautiful. I may have to finally subscribe to Audible because I want to read his books so much but I know I’ll buy them and not find the time to read them. I see he’s been top of the best sellers several times.

This is Robert MacFarlane's website, Maybee70, open on the page featuring his book: "The Lost Words"....: www.thelostwords.org/lostwordsbook/ I have bought several copies of this book for family and special friends, I love its purpose and its words so much... It is beautifully illustrated by Jackie Morris. Every time I see a copy anywhere I have to pick it and savour every page..... The shop page should take you to information about his other work...I'm off to find the second hand copy I found for my husband recently to have another look....

HelterSkelter1 Tue 06-Feb-24 15:57:48

I have read his the Old Ways and Wild Places.

Enjoyed them both. Very much about the outdoors. Yes beautiful writing and interesting use of unusual words. I plan to read Lost Words.

MayBee70 Tue 06-Feb-24 16:13:28

I haven’t bought Lost in the Cedar yet, but currently listening to The Moon Also Rises on a loop! ( the dog’s at my partners so I can play it very loud…she doesn’t like loud music).I, too am planning on buying Robert Macfarlane books to give to people. I’ve also got Digging for Britain on iplayer in the background (obsessed moi?). I haven’t rewatched Detectorists for a long time ( I used to buy the dvd for people but I think it’s taken some people a long time to realise how wonderful it is).I’ve listened to Robert Macfarlane and Johnny Flynn on Folk on Foot, too.They’re both so gentle and humble and don’t seem to understand how wonderful they are.

keepcalmandcavachon Tue 06-Feb-24 17:37:14

Thanks to this thread am going to seek out Lost Words , oh my goodness it sounds wonderful!
I thought Johnny Flynn was very moving in the film The Dig, to be honest all of the cast were superb, a lovely watch, 3 times now....

MayBee70 Tue 06-Feb-24 19:03:49

I’m going to watch all of his films! I wanted to see The Dig when it came out but I believe it was on Netflix or something. I know it had rave reviews.Also going to watch Emma which didn’t appeal to me at the time. And, of course he played Dobbin in Vanity Fair so I must have watched that but only have a much older version on dvd. He was also in the BBC adaptation of Les Miserables which I loved. Must Google Jackie Morris, too. Toby Jones is someone else that seems to be in this magic mix of people. I’m just in awe of how people can create something out of nothing, be it music or poetry or art.

MayBee70 Tue 06-Feb-24 19:11:18

Oh her artwork is beautiful!

keepcalmandcavachon Tue 06-Feb-24 20:48:38

All of these wonderful things, history, nature, music and art. And all the gifted people that share them with us, we are so lucky to be here on this earth at this very moment!

MayBee70 Tue 06-Feb-24 21:29:36

I’ve just dug out my Morris On Morris dancing cd as well. Hope to be able to go to The Gate to Southwell again this year, haven’t been since the pandemic!

Cambsnan Fri 09-Feb-24 11:48:24

He lives in Cambridge and came to our book group. Lovely man. His books are beautiful so I would say buy them even if just for the artwork.

keepcalmandcavachon Fri 09-Feb-24 12:09:53

My copy of The Lost Words has just arrived! I didn't realise how big it was, some of the artwork is definitely going to make it's way on to my walls, oh the crows and the conkers, the magpies. Wow!

DrWatson Fri 09-Feb-24 14:36:13

Well, it all sounds very nice, but I'm afraid mention of 'Detectorists' has no appeal. I saw a minute or two of that a couple of times, and it seemed a wonderful cure for insomnia. Mind you, lots pf folk on here do have trouble sleeping . . .

kircubbin2000 Fri 09-Feb-24 14:43:05

I can't get into his books at all. They seem very wordy and intense.

MayBee70 Fri 09-Feb-24 15:13:04

I get the feeling they’re not sit down and read books but poetic books to dip into. There’s a gentle humour to Detectorists that you either get or you don’t. I don’t think Toby Jones has ever made a bad series or film; think he chooses his parts very carefully. I’d add H is for Hawk into this genre of books. I know there’s a movie planned and it wouldn’t surprise me if Macfarlane Flynn et al are involved. Although the actress who bought the rights to the film loathes Jerome Flynn so I wonder if that extends to his brother even though they seem to be like chalk and cheese.

Rodborough49 Sun 11-Feb-24 21:51:52

I love The Lost Words - I have it on my coffee table and every Monday, I turn over to a new beautiful page and read it aloud. He was on Desert Island Discs a while ago and The Lost Words disc he chose can be heard there. It is magical.

MayBee70 Sun 11-Feb-24 23:03:38

I’ll see if that’s still available to listen to. Thanks.

MayBee70 Sun 11-Feb-24 23:09:44

Oh it is. Great! That’s tonight’s sleep time listen to sorted!

MayBee70 Tue 13-Feb-24 11:14:35

I’ve only just realised ( because I decided to listen to it again last night) that Robert Macfarlane is the guest on the Backlisted podcast about The Dark is Rising, along with Jackie Morris ( who is so funny). When I first listened to it I hadn’t ‘discovered’ Robert Macfarlane but it had been one of the most entertaining and informative podcasts I’ve ever listened to.

MayBee70 Tue 13-Feb-24 11:19:28

youtu.be/2a7cjq_N3dE

MayBee70 Tue 13-Feb-24 11:20:13

This was an interview on Newsnight 2017.

keepcalmandcavachon Tue 13-Feb-24 11:52:41

Thank you for the link Maybee70, I will look forward to thatsmile. What an inspiring way to start the week Rodborough49.
When (if ever) it stops raining I shall pop over to the library, I've reserved The Old Ways by Robert Macfarlane and it's in!

MayBee70 Tue 13-Feb-24 16:05:43

Well, I went to one of my favourite second handbook shops, Slightly Foxed in Berwick in search of a few books and, as I walked in there was a box of books just inside the door waiting to be priced up. On top of the box was a copy of The Old Ways which I spotted straight away even though I didn’t have my glasses on and can’t read a thing without them. I said to the shop owner, I don’t believe this! It was the only one of his books in the shop and, if it hadn’t been right at the top neither of us would have known it was there!

keepcalmandcavachon Tue 13-Feb-24 18:25:11

Oh well spotted Maybee70. Just to be there at that very time and place! I feel your excitement grin. Some things are just so right it's shivery.....