Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Lessons in chemistry

(29 Posts)
Atqui Mon 27-Nov-23 22:51:06

I’m reading this on my kindle . The disadvantage is that I cant flick back to find something I’ve missed. Can anyone explain what was written in the Life magazine about Elizabeth please ?

CoolCoco Tue 28-Nov-23 05:53:43

I’ve read the book and enjoyed it, but don’t remember anything about Life magazine unless it was to do with her success as a TV cook. There is a TV series of the book on Apple TV - recommended.

BigBertha1 Tue 28-Nov-23 07:48:31

Great book I read it sometime ago but can't help with your enquiry, sorry.

Juliet27 Tue 28-Nov-23 08:05:17

I’ve sent you a personal message with a summary of the Life bit from SuperSummary.com which might help

Iam64 Tue 28-Nov-23 08:31:12

I use a kindle, especially on holiday. I much prefer a book though, especially for flicking back to remind myself who this random character is

Atqui Tue 28-Nov-23 22:04:54

Thanks for your comments.

Callistemon21 Tue 28-Nov-23 22:42:33

Atqui

I’m reading this on my kindle . The disadvantage is that I cant flick back to find something I’ve missed. Can anyone explain what was written in the Life magazine about Elizabeth please ?

If you type in the search box on your Kindle, it will bring up any relevant paragraphs; eg type 'Elizabeth Life Magazine' and it should bring up all the paragraphs where those words are mentioned.

You can click on that paragraph to read it, then go back to the page you were on.

I hope that makes sense.

Sago Wed 29-Nov-23 07:35:51

Not read the book but loved the TV series on Apple TV.

Greyduster Wed 29-Nov-23 08:16:26

I haven’t read the book, but I’m watching the TV series at the moment and it’s very engaging. I might try and find the book too.

merlotgran Wed 29-Nov-23 10:37:32

I’m about half way through the book and really enjoying it.

Oldbat1 Wed 29-Nov-23 12:31:48

Recommend the book and im now
watching the tv version.

Atqui Wed 29-Nov-23 16:31:36

Callistemon21

Atqui

If you type in the search box on your Kindle, it will bring up any relevant paragraphs; eg type 'Elizabeth Life Magazine' and it should bring up all the paragraphs where those words are mentioned.

You can click on that paragraph to read it, then go back to the page you were on.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks I’ll try that

CanadianGran Wed 29-Nov-23 19:37:57

I think that is one reason I am reluctant to get an electronic book. I often flip back and re-read a portion, and usually I'm pretty accurate for guessing how far back it was.

I enjoyed the book, and just finished the Netflix series last night. I think there were some differences, but I'd have to go back and re-read the book to compare.

JackyB Fri 01-Dec-23 08:20:23

Being able to check back on things in earlier chapters is one of the reasons I prefer the Kindle to a book. The search function is wonderful!

Lovetopaint037 Sun 10-Dec-23 03:43:08

I have this in my bookcase awaiting me to read. Reading Demon Copperhead at the moment but hoping that Chemistry will lift the mood.

Mamie Sun 10-Dec-23 04:34:45

I loved the book but hated the TV series. Very pretty to look at, but so much of the depth of character, the feminism and the humour was lost. I could not forgive how they had changed the character of Harriet. Presumably older women are not interesting enough.

Floradora9 Sun 10-Dec-23 21:51:41

I could not finish the book it just was not to my liking.

Nandalot Sun 10-Dec-23 22:43:53

Just finished reading this today and loved it. Coincidentally, had an email from the Guardian today saying there is a livestream with the author on 13th Feb next year. You can book tickets

Sparklefizz Mon 11-Dec-23 10:25:23

Floradora9 I couldn't finish the book either.

riddhi10 Fri 22-Dec-23 12:14:24

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

nanaK54 Fri 22-Dec-23 12:39:19

I loved this book, but can see how it might not be to everyone's taste. I am slightly regretting buying a copy for my sister, something tells me she might not like it, oh well, too late now! grin

Iam64 Fri 22-Dec-23 17:38:55

LovetoPaint, Chemistry will be light relief after Copperhead, I loved both books and they’re my top reads for 2023.
Demon Copperhead is a masterpiece. Chemistry an excellent read. I particularly enjoyed the dog (unsurprisingly)

Lovetopaint037 Fri 08-Mar-24 19:23:04

Loved Lessons in Chemistry. My dh read this after me. When I heard a great big laugh that went on for awhile I knew which part he was reading.

Farzanah Fri 08-Mar-24 20:52:43

Book was quite entertaining, but a bit too long imo.

Nmama Fri 19-Apr-24 02:31:45

I didn't like it at all. The main character was just too perfect, and just too irritating! No one learns to row with others by reading a book overnight--and that's just for starters!