Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Delving into my Kindle library

(46 Posts)
Quokka Wed 18-Oct-23 13:31:12

After the puppy chewed up my Kindle and I had to buy a new one, I decided to clean up my ‘library’. But instead found myself re-reading books therein.

That was at least six weeks ago. I’ve not bought a new book since. The weird thing is some of these books are completely new to me. I don’t remember buying them! And I don’t remember reading them!

Anyway whatever ….it’s saving me a lot of money.

Marilla Wed 18-Oct-23 13:46:43

Have you got any recommendations for a good read?

Quokka Wed 18-Oct-23 13:52:50

Depends on your taste in literature. I’ve just reread all Georgette Heyer’s regency novels. Plus many recommended by Richard and Judy Book Club,

Currently rereading The Widow by Ona Barton. Now this one I DO have a vague memory of, very vague. Just a sort of inkling that the ending took me by surprise- and doubless will again 😂

I also strongly recommend you don’t leave your kindle near puppies.

PinkCosmos Wed 18-Oct-23 13:58:53

I don't use my Kindle very often as I prefer real books.

However, I have downloaded quite a few free or 99p books over the last few years as it seemed too good an offer to miss. I haven't read any of them yet though.

Quokka Wed 18-Oct-23 14:02:17

In my 80s and with very arthritic hands sadly ‘real’ books are hard to hold.

mumski Wed 18-Oct-23 14:09:39

I love my Kindle and use it all the time Quokka. However, it causes much hilarity at my (Zoom) book club. The number of times I've gone to download our new book choice for the next meeting, only to find it's already on my Kindle and apparently I've read it!
I'm now reassured by you that it's not just me. smile.
We have just started 'The Book of New Beginnings' by Sally Page and I'm really enjoying.... also I haven't read it before either.

M0nica Wed 18-Oct-23 14:58:00

My Kindle contains mainly books I have known and loved over many years and enjoy rereading.

It is my resource for comfort reading, when drifting off to sleep, waking in the night, dentist and doctor's waiting rooms (now they no longer have magazines).

Most of the books I read are not novels and Kindles are not good for books with illustrations, maps, or references or footnotes.

Quokka Wed 18-Oct-23 14:59:27

mumski that’s very reassuring.

MrsKen33 Wed 18-Oct-23 15:01:55

I am in the process of re-reading many of the books in my kindle library. Some are very light easy reading but just what I need at the moment .

MrsKen33 Wed 18-Oct-23 15:03:51

Does any one know how you get rid of the books you never ever want to read again. Do they just go on the Cloud or can you permanently delete them?

emmasnan Wed 18-Oct-23 15:55:52

For some reason I often can't recall a book I've read on Kindle but I can if I read the paperback version.

NanKate Wed 18-Oct-23 15:57:54

I think Mrs Ken you press down on the front cover of the book and the word delete comes up. Try it on one you definitely don’t want.

I’m re-reading some of my favourites from years ago. ‘The 39 Steps’ still a good read. I have just down loaded a few stories in one book from Daphne du Maurier which cost £4.99 in order to read The Birds, the film really scared me all those years ago. Starting it today. 😳

sodapop Wed 18-Oct-23 17:07:11

Quokka I don't like e - readers but I have just re read the Georgette Heyer books as well. I just love her use of language and humour.

Patsy70 Wed 18-Oct-23 17:39:27

mumski, I also downloaded ‘The Book of New Beginnings’ by Sally Page earlier today, so am looking forward to a good read. The one I’m currently reading, a Richard & Judy recommendation, is very disappointing, but I’m determined to finish it. I always loved my books, but wake during the night, so with a Kindle I don’t disturb my OH by having to switch on the bedside lamp.

BlueSapphire Wed 18-Oct-23 18:25:46

Also MrsKen, you can go into 'Manage your contents and devices' in your Amazon account, click on the book, and there should be a delete option.

annodomini Wed 18-Oct-23 18:51:36

The first thing I downloaded to my Kindle was the complete works of Anthony Trollope which made great reading for about a month. I occasionally re-read one of the novels and it's like re-visiting old friends. Most of my reading of more recent years has been detective fiction. When a new book is due in a series I enjoy I try to read the preceding works - or some of them. The last series I re-read was Richard Osman's 'Thursday Murder Club . Kindle suits me because I can increase the font size and also it's easy to read in bed.

M0nica Wed 18-Oct-23 18:58:55

My first downloads to my Kindle were the complete Jane Austen output and the Palliser and Barchester series of books by Anthony Trollope, plus a couple of his other novels.

hollysteers Wed 18-Oct-23 19:22:55

emmasnan

For some reason I often can't recall a book I've read on Kindle but I can if I read the paperback version.

Same here. It doesn’t seem like a ‘real’ book on a kindle.
However I love ebooks on my phone as they help my regular train trips go by in a flash, having coffee when out by myself and hospital appointments. I restrict those books to biographies, letters and diaries so there is no losing the thread which happens with fiction.

Quokka I recently read “The Lost Man” by Jane Harper for our bookgroup and was riveted.

Quokka Wed 18-Oct-23 19:53:22

What an interesting set of replies. Good to read that others do the same, enjoy light reading occasionally, and can forget an entire book!

To delete a book go to your library or home page. Press on the book and a range of options come up including permanently delete.

Floradora9 Wed 18-Oct-23 21:50:13

I have mentioned this before but if you have kindle books and any Alexa device she will read these books to you . Just ask " Alexa read my kindle book ......name it " To restart just ask her to read your kindle book and she will continue reading the same book and on any of your devices . We have them everywhere.
I have nearly 600 kindle book on mine .

JackyB Thu 19-Oct-23 08:03:43

I once needed to make some space on my (rather old) kindle and moved a whole lot of books to the cloud.

Normally, when I have read a book, I put it in a "Collection". When I moved the books from the device to the cloud, the "collections" weren't transferred with them so I had loads of "loose" , single books again which looked as though I hadn't read them.

So I re-read some of them and found that many I had completely forgotten!

Whitewavemark2 Thu 19-Oct-23 08:28:02

This thread prompted me to look at my kindle, as I have ignored it for years - preferring real books.

Gosh! I have absolutely loads on there to read! Which should last the winter.

Quokka Thu 19-Oct-23 09:34:40

Flora I never knew that.

Mollygo Thu 19-Oct-23 09:52:26

I passed on my old Kindle recently when I got one with Bluetooth.
Before resetting it I scanned through the library and, like others here, rediscovered Georgette Heyer. (I still have the books, but I can’t read them in the dark.) Then there was GK Chesterton’s complete Father Brown Stories, one of the first books I downloaded. I also found some long forgotten books by D E Stevenson - so I’m busy rereading them. Just what I need for winter.

Witzend Thu 19-Oct-23 09:59:00

Annodomini, Trollope’s complete works were one of the first things I downloaded, too. Many of them are my ‘comfort reads’.
Could say the same for Barbara Pym - I have all of hers, too.

I do need to delete some I’m never going to read again, though. I’ve had my Kindle for ages and it does play up a bit now and then - but there’s so much on it now, I dare say it’s got indigestion.