Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Am I being unreasonable where books are concerned?

(109 Posts)
Niucla97 Sat 03-Sep-22 14:57:16

Maybe the wrong place to ask this question. A couple of weeks ago I decided to take a look in the attic with the help of my daughter-in-law. She decided it was best to bring things down for me to look through. We call her the 'white tornado' - if it's not nailed down it's gone. We've found three suitcases full of mostly children's books. A few of them were mine or my two sons. Lots of them were books I read with my grandchildren.

She says just get rid as no one wants them even a lot of the charity shops are not taking books. We live in a village in a rural area in N.Wales. I have spent a lot of time this past week or so trying to find an outlet for books. Even some of the recycling depots don't want them because of the glue that they use in books. I just hate to throw something away that someone else might be able to use. It does appear that some places that do take books want them new or in absolute pristine condition.

My son says that they are trying to help me de-clutter and I am not co-operating. Part of me feels like like packing them back in the suitcases , putting them back in the attic and closing the door?

Where do I go from here?

Jane43 Tue 06-Sep-22 18:31:40

Websites such as a FreeCycle are very useful for disposing of unwanted items. You can also put notices in some shops - local shops or Wilko for example. There are probably play groups, community centers or child minders who would like to take them - our neighbour is a child minder and was delighted when we gave her some of our grandchildren’s old books, art materials etc.

Madgran77 Tue 06-Sep-22 18:33:07

Nurserys and playgroups might be interested if right age group of books

Merryweather Tue 06-Sep-22 18:48:41

@Bijou- I love the sound of the art reference books. Hour after hour of reading and art♥️-perfect.

Keekaboo Tue 06-Sep-22 19:51:47

They are your books if you want to keep them then keep them.

Some younger people do not appreciate books. I love them old and new. I too have lots of books that were mine and my children's and now my grandchildren are reading them when at my house and enjoying them too.

Keep them and enjoy them again yourself.

Corkie91 Tue 06-Sep-22 21:26:39

My local Tesco takes in books they are on a stand/ bookshelf with an honesty box for customers to but. They then donate the money to local charities. I take all my books there old and new and buy others to read as well

Daisymae Tue 06-Sep-22 23:08:53

Someone locally was collecting for a charity book fair. Seriously I donated bags and bags. Then I had a birthday and was given 6 more books! ?I found out about the collection on the local Facebook page. You could always ask on there if any one could use them. I also gave away a number of gardening books to someone on a FB gardening group. Alternatively you can ask your son to take the books to the local recycling centre.

effalump Thu 08-Sep-22 15:34:38

Put your foot down. Young people just want to erase all things historic to us. Perhaps there are charities that would like books like these for toddlers in third world countries. I have about 2000 family photos going back to great- and great-great relatives. I don't even know who they are but I love sepia photos and find it difficult to get rid, even though my older brother would be quite happy to put them in a skip.

JulietGrey Tue 11-Oct-22 18:43:35

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.