Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Any writers in here

(58 Posts)
hugshelp Sat 16-Jul-22 11:35:19

I started writing about a year ago. Prior to the sudden decision to do so, I hadn't written anything more challenging than a shopping list in over 4o years. I've had a few things published online and a couple of things in anthologies, just by small publishers and not for any pay.

I'm wondering it there is anyone else who has come to writing later in life who would like to chat about their craft, their work, their frustrations, and life in general, from time to time.

Glorianny Sun 17-Jul-22 16:48:11

The easiest way to publish now if you wish to, is to use Amazon Kindle Direct publishing. It costs nothing. But you do need someone who will proof read what you have written and some fairly good computing skills to do the layout etc. You can then sell on Amazon or buy copies yourself at a very reasonable cost to sell at a profit. kdp.amazon.com/en_US/

hugshelp Sun 17-Jul-22 18:22:28

I do like work in present tense stardreamer It feels very dynamic to me and gives you that sense that you'll never know what will happen next. I'm not sure if there'll be enough chat about poetry to need a separate thread. Perhaps it would be easiest to keep everything in one for now then if a topic seems to grow big enough to need its own thread start one?

I do like Friday Flash Fiction Aveline. Everyday Fiction are good too as if you sign up to their emails you get a piece of flash sent to read every day which soon familiarises you with flash and is great for inspiration. everydayfiction.com/

And so our poets aren't left out: Proems are open to subs atm: proemjournal.wixsite.com/proem/submissions

And for short stories up to 5k words, idle ink is open for subs atm: idleink.org/submit/

Most of the places I sub to atm are unpaid or pay only a token of say $3, or a couple of pounds, but they are great for getting your work out if you are new so that you have something to put on your bio.

Aveline Sun 17-Jul-22 18:54:04

Publishing is infested with sharks! Be very careful if asked to pay.
The other key point is that writing a book is the easy part. Publishing is hardest. Publish on Amazon Kindle if you like but how to attract readers? Publicity is the issue there. Lots of places will offer to promote your books but it'll cost you.
To write and be published also needs lashings of luck (and good contacts) it's a massive area.

StarDreamer Sun 17-Jul-22 19:47:58

I am planning to publish a small book of my own writing myself.

You might like to have a look at this website, with which my only connection is as a customer.

You do not need a document to get a quote from their Quick Quote system.

LINK > Viking Virtual Print House

They are not a publisher, they are a print house. You would be the publisher.

Minimum order, excluding post or courier fee, is £5.

Yes, only £5 minimum order.

ixion Sun 17-Jul-22 19:57:18

Isn't it Maywalk who is an established author with publications to her name?

MawtheMerrier Sun 17-Jul-22 20:02:30

I understood we had several published authors on Gransnet, Aveline, Maywalk and (correct me if I am wrong) Scribbles among them.

ixion Sun 17-Jul-22 20:07:30

And the GNer who writes for the People's Friend? (IIRC)

Serendipity22 Sun 17-Jul-22 21:32:35

Hi there. Well I have written several books and it literally started in 2008. I sat at my laptop and the words flowed.

I have written 5 books all consisting of 60,000 words, all with the same theme, adoption, because I was and after pouring heart, soul laughter, tear and frustration into each book, I can honestly that it has been THE most therapeutic thing to help me, the other books I have written are for my grandchildren and I have to say that NONE have been published and it isn't through not trying, but thats a different story.

I read my books from time to time ( I have had them all printed ) and I think WHOAAAA HAS THIS REALLY COME FROM ME ?

smilesmilesmilesmile ? ?

Aveline Sun 17-Jul-22 21:34:53

I write for the People's Friend. Anyone can. Their submission guidelines are available. Just Google them.

hugshelp Sun 17-Jul-22 21:42:36

That's fabulous seredipity22. I must admit, I find the writing process really therapeutic and a wonderful way to dig deep and understand myself and the world on a whole new level.

ixion Sun 17-Jul-22 21:44:07

Aveline

I write for the People's Friend. Anyone can. Their submission guidelines are available. Just Google them.

Ah.
Thanks for the confirmation!

Aveline Sun 17-Jul-22 21:54:34

It's not a secret ixion! I've also had two novels published. A kind person in publishing attended my first book launch and contacted the editor of PF. Result was that I was asked to send in a sample story. I sent two and they bought them both. Many stories later I still submit the odd one if a story occurs to me. I really appreciate the luck I had.

ixion Sun 17-Jul-22 22:02:04

Oh, that is marvellous Aveline.
Luck? Methinks you are too modest!

hugshelp Sun 17-Jul-22 22:13:50

That's fantastic Aveline. What genre are your novels?

Aveline Mon 18-Jul-22 07:25:04

My books are just easy reading. I have had several fluky episodes of luck and meeting the right person at the right time.
As I said, writing is the easy part, it's the next bit that's most difficult.

MawtheMerrier Mon 18-Jul-22 08:02:15

I really enjoyed your books Aveline - they recalled a world and an institution I had happy memories of!

FannyCornforth Mon 18-Jul-22 08:20:10

I’m pretty certain that there is a GNer called MaryGrand (her user name and pen name) who is a very successful author.
I bought one of her books (‘The House Party’ on Kindle) after ‘meeting’ her on here (haven’t read it yet though blush)

Aveline Mon 18-Jul-22 08:20:44

Thanks MawTheMerrier I enjoyed writing them. I still like to disappear into that old world and PF have bought quite a few new chapters over the last wee while. I'm deep in writing another story about that institution just now.

StarDreamer Mon 18-Jul-22 08:31:27

Serendipity22 wrote ^ I have had them all printed^.

Can you say something about that please?

hugshelp Mon 18-Jul-22 10:54:44

There's notbing 'just' about easy reading Aveline - it brings pleasure and escape to a lot of people. You might have had a bit of luck along the way but people wouldn't buy them if they didn't have plenty of appeal in their own right. And the fact you published a second book which people bought shows they must have liked the first. Same with People's Friend, lots of people buy and enjoy it so you must be doing something right. I'd love to read one of your stories but don't want to 'out' you on GN. Perhaps you'd like to DM me a title so I could get one?

AussieGran59 Wed 10-Aug-22 05:55:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OldScallop Thu 11-Aug-22 15:49:55

Yes - I started writing in my 60s and self published 6 novels, which still sell occasionally on Amazon KDP. A couple have won small accolades and did OK when first published. Hoping to get back into it with a third in my most successful series so far.

OldScallop Thu 11-Aug-22 19:09:33

Excellent advice.

CharlesCook Wed 24-Aug-22 17:39:58

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

maxlakonsky Mon 12-Sep-22 18:45:06

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.