Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Any writers in here

(58 Posts)
hugshelp Sat 16-Jul-22 11:35:19

I started writing about a year ago. Prior to the sudden decision to do so, I hadn't written anything more challenging than a shopping list in over 4o years. I've had a few things published online and a couple of things in anthologies, just by small publishers and not for any pay.

I'm wondering it there is anyone else who has come to writing later in life who would like to chat about their craft, their work, their frustrations, and life in general, from time to time.

LRavenscroft Thu 27-Apr-23 17:38:23

I went to a writing group at my local library which was run by an older man. The first few weeks were OK but then he started us to wanting us to write raunchy pieces which put me off. I love a clear, crisp style that evokes atmosphere, emotion and paints a colourful picture. I know within a page whether I am going to stick with the book. I can write and some of my articles have been accepted by local magazines as I usually write about botany, historical connections with the land or family history. However, it takes me about 9 edits before I am happy with the finished product. I go away, leave the article, return, change and I like my words to flow off the page. You always need to think of your audience and how they will read it. I know people who think they are amazing writers and if you pick up their work it reads as limp, bland and really quite beige. Writing is such a personal thing. It takes all sorts to both write and read.

Forlornhope Thu 27-Apr-23 13:56:21

I’m currently reading a book based on letters sent to her mother from a young woman working on a farm in the early 1950s. She found her letters in her Mother’s possessions twenty years after she died and used them as an aide memoir to put together a book about her early working life on a farm in Herefordshire. I just stumbled across this book and I’m surprised by how fascinating it is. A wonderful first hand account of country life just after the war. I wish someone had kept all the letters I wrote in the 1970s although I doubt I could cobble together something as good as this book.

HermineJones Fri 24-Mar-23 13:09:55

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Alie2Oxon Tue 24-Jan-23 15:14:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hugshelp Wed 05-Oct-22 03:26:06

Wow. That's fabulous NotTooOld.
I'm sure those writing gifts for your family will be treasured.
I haven't looked into the publishing on Amazon thing - haven't written anything long enough yet anyway - but I've seen people who have done really quite well that way.

NotTooOld Sun 02-Oct-22 23:11:43

I'm currently writing my fifth novel. I write in the mornings after I've done the usual chores. Four of my novels have been about the same characters although new ones do come along from time to time. I have loved writing since I was a child and have occasionally had something published in a magazine. I was also lucky in having a career where I could utilise my writing skills.

I have never sent my novels off to try their luck with publishers but I would like to try self publishing with Kindle if it did not seem so extremely complicated - or if I could get someone to do it for me. I agree with the poster who said writing is the easy bit and it is what comes after (publishing, generating publicity, marketing) that is difficult.

When my grandchildren were little I wrote books for them and in the lockdown I wrote them a serialised adventure story, sending them a chapter a week, which they said they enjoyed.

A few years ago I wrote a family history book (about our family). I had copies printed and presented it to family members at Christmas. It was well received and I loved writing it. I'm planning another one based on my father's diaries when I get round to it.

I have sent short stories and poems off to PF, having first read their guidelines, of course (they are very prescriptive). I was shocked that in the case of the short stories I received e-mailed rejections almost by return, ie on the same day as I submitted them. I heard later that they do this at times when they are inundated with submissions. They also kept a poem for eight months before rejecting it. We writers need to have thick skins!

hugshelp Sun 02-Oct-22 20:07:36

I've been reading People's Friend for a while now, since it was mentioned on this thread. I must say it is more to my taste than some of the others I tried. Not sure I'll ever be able to write to their standard but I am enjoying the read.

That's fantastic AussieGran. I'm in awe.
Wow, you too OldScallop. So much talent.

Sorry, I somehow lost the thread for a while.

maxlakonsky Mon 12-Sep-22 18:45:06

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

CharlesCook Wed 24-Aug-22 17:39:58

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

OldScallop Thu 11-Aug-22 19:09:33

Excellent advice.

OldScallop Thu 11-Aug-22 15:49:55

Yes - I started writing in my 60s and self published 6 novels, which still sell occasionally on Amazon KDP. A couple have won small accolades and did OK when first published. Hoping to get back into it with a third in my most successful series so far.

AussieGran59 Wed 10-Aug-22 05:55:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hugshelp Mon 18-Jul-22 10:54:44

There's notbing 'just' about easy reading Aveline - it brings pleasure and escape to a lot of people. You might have had a bit of luck along the way but people wouldn't buy them if they didn't have plenty of appeal in their own right. And the fact you published a second book which people bought shows they must have liked the first. Same with People's Friend, lots of people buy and enjoy it so you must be doing something right. I'd love to read one of your stories but don't want to 'out' you on GN. Perhaps you'd like to DM me a title so I could get one?

StarDreamer Mon 18-Jul-22 08:31:27

Serendipity22 wrote ^ I have had them all printed^.

Can you say something about that please?

Aveline Mon 18-Jul-22 08:20:44

Thanks MawTheMerrier I enjoyed writing them. I still like to disappear into that old world and PF have bought quite a few new chapters over the last wee while. I'm deep in writing another story about that institution just now.

FannyCornforth Mon 18-Jul-22 08:20:10

I’m pretty certain that there is a GNer called MaryGrand (her user name and pen name) who is a very successful author.
I bought one of her books (‘The House Party’ on Kindle) after ‘meeting’ her on here (haven’t read it yet though blush)

MawtheMerrier Mon 18-Jul-22 08:02:15

I really enjoyed your books Aveline - they recalled a world and an institution I had happy memories of!

Aveline Mon 18-Jul-22 07:25:04

My books are just easy reading. I have had several fluky episodes of luck and meeting the right person at the right time.
As I said, writing is the easy part, it's the next bit that's most difficult.

hugshelp Sun 17-Jul-22 22:13:50

That's fantastic Aveline. What genre are your novels?

ixion Sun 17-Jul-22 22:02:04

Oh, that is marvellous Aveline.
Luck? Methinks you are too modest!

Aveline Sun 17-Jul-22 21:54:34

It's not a secret ixion! I've also had two novels published. A kind person in publishing attended my first book launch and contacted the editor of PF. Result was that I was asked to send in a sample story. I sent two and they bought them both. Many stories later I still submit the odd one if a story occurs to me. I really appreciate the luck I had.

ixion Sun 17-Jul-22 21:44:07

Aveline

I write for the People's Friend. Anyone can. Their submission guidelines are available. Just Google them.

Ah.
Thanks for the confirmation!

hugshelp Sun 17-Jul-22 21:42:36

That's fabulous seredipity22. I must admit, I find the writing process really therapeutic and a wonderful way to dig deep and understand myself and the world on a whole new level.

Aveline Sun 17-Jul-22 21:34:53

I write for the People's Friend. Anyone can. Their submission guidelines are available. Just Google them.

Serendipity22 Sun 17-Jul-22 21:32:35

Hi there. Well I have written several books and it literally started in 2008. I sat at my laptop and the words flowed.

I have written 5 books all consisting of 60,000 words, all with the same theme, adoption, because I was and after pouring heart, soul laughter, tear and frustration into each book, I can honestly that it has been THE most therapeutic thing to help me, the other books I have written are for my grandchildren and I have to say that NONE have been published and it isn't through not trying, but thats a different story.

I read my books from time to time ( I have had them all printed ) and I think WHOAAAA HAS THIS REALLY COME FROM ME ?

smilesmilesmilesmile ? ?