Gransnet forums

Books/book club

When you give someone a book..

(71 Posts)
JackyB Tue 02-Nov-21 09:47:33

...do you write a message on the inside? It is a good way to remind people when they got the book and who from, but it makes it difficult to pass on the book, unless it is really old, and all the parties involved are no longer with us, when it becomes an interesting piece of history.

People don't seem to do this so much these days. Here in Germany if you buy a book as a present the shop will gift wrap it for you, so there's no opportunity to write in it first. I don't always take advantage of this but even if I wrap it myself I don't always think to write a dedication.

Do you still do it, and do you have any treasured books with inscriptions from people you fondly remember, preferably with a date (and a price of 2/6d on the back cover!)

I know I've still got some books I was given as a child so I think I'll go and have a look at some of mine and come back with quotes if I find any nice ones.

MamaB247 Wed 03-Nov-21 19:08:29

I sometimes do a personalised message on a handmade bookmark for them if its someone close to me. But don't write in books because as you say it stops them passing on

GagaJo Wed 03-Nov-21 19:48:11

My grandson has books now that were his mums, that I had written in for her.

I need to start to do it for his books, from me. Lovely lovely heirlooms.

Calistemon Wed 03-Nov-21 20:00:08

Lovely lovely heirlooms.

I agree.

Some books are meant to be passed on to friends, charity shops etc, others should be inherited.

nipsmum Wed 03-Nov-21 21:10:43

I was looking at a book I have. It has the inscription on the flyleaf that it was First prize . It was received by my mum in 1914 when she was 7.

grannyactivist Thu 04-Nov-21 00:06:35

Some years ago we showed hospitality to the uncle and father of an Iranian Muslim student who lived with us for a time. On their last evening in England they returned the favour by hosting us for dinner at their hotel and we presented them with gifts; a couple of lovely paintings of our town and dual language bibles (in English and Farsi).

The following morning they turned up en-route to the airport and asked us to write a dedication in each of the bibles, which we were very happy to do, as although taking a bible into Iran was frowned upon (it can be an imprisonable offence), the refusal of a gift was equally so - and by getting us to inscribe their copies they were able to take them back to Iran safely.

(Two or three years later we got news from our student that his whole extended family had converted to Christianity and had left Iran to live in Toronto where there is a large Iranian Church.)

GrannyTracey Thu 04-Nov-21 09:42:29

I threw a baby shower for my daughter & in the invite a rhyme asking only for a children’s book with a message in it from the gifter . My granddaughter now has lots of lovely books with special messages in from her loved ones

Shelagh6 Thu 04-Nov-21 10:34:13

You can always slip a card in - if they want to keep the book, they can glue it- but never write inthe book - devalues it in every way.

nipsmum Thu 04-Nov-21 10:51:58

Thank goodness we don't all buy books with monetary value at the heart of the purchase. I certainly don't anyway.

Calistemon Thu 04-Nov-21 10:58:34

My DD was given a lovely prayer book as a christening present by her great-uncle and great-aunt which they had inscribed. Something to treasure except they spelt her name wrong.

Witzend Thu 04-Nov-21 11:12:48

I might for Gdcs, if it was anything a bit special, but I only ever give paperbacks to adults, so no, not for them. I never give hardbacks to adults - for myself I dislike them, too heavy to read in bed.
I find it very annoying when (especially) coming up to Christmas, popular new novels only come out in hardback, or the more expensive larger PB version, which I don’t like, either.

patchworksue Thu 04-Nov-21 15:31:50

I always write inside any books i give my grandchildren….

maryelizabethsadler Fri 05-Nov-21 15:25:12

I'm a voracious reader and love the smell and feel of a real book, but I've decided, no more - I either buy them second-hand on ebay or in charity shops, or will use my kindle. I don't want to add to the deforestation problem in the world..

MissAdventure Fri 05-Nov-21 15:27:49

I can't get past the idea that one should never ever write in a book, as silly as that is.
So it's ages since I gave one, but no, I wouldn't write in it.

rubysong Fri 05-Nov-21 16:47:53

I bought a book at a jumble sale which had a name written in it, which was the son in law of the author of the book (Sabine Baring Gould). I was able to pass it on to someone organising a Baring Gould festival.
I don't write in books but love to see inscriptions in old books, they are part of their history.
I have my grandmother's Sunday school prize with an inscription.

Juliet27 Fri 05-Nov-21 16:57:38

I have some books my mother was presented with at school

Me too Tizliz. They’re almost a century old and I just can’t part with them.

hollysteers Thu 19-May-22 20:06:22

I have a friend who is a prankster and signs a book he is giving to a charity shop with the name of a famous person, dated and the sort of book he thinks they might read?

Lovetopaint037 Sun 18-Sep-22 09:36:10

When we were school age I used that well known rhyme
If this book should roam
Box it’s ears and send it home to
(Name - address)

eazybee Sun 18-Sep-22 10:02:59

I have a second-hand book of Shakespeare's sonnets with a loving message in the front from J, and several sonnets heavily underlined.
Sad. Clearly not reciprocated.

Athrawes Sun 18-Sep-22 11:25:43

No I don't write in books, but my mum was thrilled when I gave her a book signed by Norma Major who was a guest at an event I attended many moons ago

Alioop Sun 18-Sep-22 11:52:53

My mum always put her initials in the top corner of a book to make sure she didn't get it again in the local charity shop and her friend did the same.