Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Help with the process of paperwork etc..

(16 Posts)
Blacktabby2 Fri 09-Feb-24 15:12:20

Hi all. My sister in law died a week ago leaving a lots of paperwork to sort out from her bank to building society's and pensions both private and government. Also she had shares. Some of her paperwork goes back 10 years plus. Her house is one that you see in TV programmes where you open the front door and you have to make your own way carefully through the house without breaking your neck! Her choice to live that way. Anyway, apart from using good old Google for advice..is there a website that can guide me through some processes? I have her computer which l thought might help me but her password book was covered in coffee and its all blurred! Thankyou all xx

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 09-Feb-24 15:27:22

That sounds grim. I fear you are going to have to sort through all the paperwork to establish exactly what her assets are. I doubt any website could help you with that. Tell the DWP, bank, building society and private pension providers of her death without delay.

TinSoldier Fri 09-Feb-24 15:38:08

I assume you have the death certificate and have made copies and that you are the person responsible for dealing with all this. What I mean is, has she left a will naming you as executor?

If there is no named executor, a person, usually a friend, family member or another interested party, may come forward and petition the court to become the administrator of the estate by obtaining letters of administration.

If that person is you, this would be a start:

www.gov.uk/when-someone-dies

Note the Tell Us Once facility for dealing with government departments.

And this from Age UK:

www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/money-legal/legal-issues/what-to-do-when-someone-dies/

Blacktabby2 Fri 09-Feb-24 15:46:41

Thankyou

Blacktabby2 Fri 09-Feb-24 15:47:28

Thankyou for your help. No will but we are here direct family members.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 09-Feb-24 16:07:31

You may find a will, or correspondence with a solicitor indicating that one has been made. As sister in law you are not a blood relative. If there is a blood relative who is capable and willing to do so they should apply for letters of administration to enable the estate to be administered, if there is indeed no will. If there is no blood relative able and willing then they might ask you to undertake the task.

Allsorts Fri 09-Feb-24 16:12:45

Good advice from GSM. Good luck.

Blacktabby2 Fri 09-Feb-24 16:30:17

My husband is next of kin. Definitely no Will made . We will get there...thankyou all.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 09-Feb-24 16:40:24

You will. Good luck.

pascal30 Fri 09-Feb-24 16:42:49

It sounds a nightmare.. I'd get loads of black bags and a skip and just work my way through the house.. very good luck

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 09-Feb-24 17:17:04

You need to shred paperwork that isn’t needed if it contains name, address, bank etc details. I have used a mobile shredding service in the past, they turn up with a big van and shred huge amounts of paper very quickly and give you a certificate to confirm it’s been done (though you can watch it happening).

Blacktabby2 Fri 09-Feb-24 17:25:57

Thankyou all for your help

Callistemon21 Fri 09-Feb-24 17:33:00

There is a number you can phone to let all government agencies know, instead of contacting each one separately.

www.gov.uk/after-a-death/organisations-you-need-to-contact-and-tell-us-once

Georgesgran Fri 09-Feb-24 17:34:59

Sadly, it’s a lesson to be learned that we should all make a will, however poor we may consider ourselves to be.

Cabbie21 Fri 09-Feb-24 18:33:13

Whoever registers the death is given a code number to inform Tell us Once. It includes the local authority, DWP, DVLA. It does not cover everything though eg private pensions.
Martin Lewis’s Forum has a useful guide and you can ask questions and get help from others there. GSM has already given sound advice.
forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6289161/deaths-funerals-probate-board-sticky

OldFrill Sat 10-Feb-24 01:10:50

I don't know if this is helpful but a few years ago l was in the same position with my brother who was a hoarder and died intestate. l had little idea of his finances, although l knew he owned his small house outright. I checked his home, as far as l could, for a will/paperwork/valuables and employed a clearance company to clear the house. Some hoarders hoard money, my brother spent very little and appeared not to trust banks much. If you use house clearance I would be there when they are doing it, at least initially, you don't know what they might find and as they clear some space you can see what is there. If they don't want you there, don't use them.
I visited some banks where he had accounts myself but ended up instructing a solicitor to untangle the paperwork, house sale etc and although l can't remember how much it was l thought it was fair, it took a lot of the stress and distress off me and the solicitor's fee, clearance fee etc all came out of the house sale.
My brother struggled with mental health all his life and died too young. I miss him.