Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Catholic Mass Intention

(19 Posts)
Marilla Mon 18-Dec-23 12:38:34

I would be very grateful if any Catholics who go to Mass regularly could advise on a donation to have a Mass said for a personal intention/anniversary.
I understand it is discretionary, but I have absolutely no idea what would be appropriate.

NotSpaghetti Mon 18-Dec-23 12:43:25

As it's an "offering" - I think it's what you feel is right for you.
It's technically "free" and they will do it anyway.
I haven't done this for years. Maybe someone will come along soon.

Marydoll Mon 18-Dec-23 13:27:05

It is free. However, as a Catholic Sacristan I have seen offerings ranging from £2 to £20.
I know that my PP sends all donation to the Mission, where it is used support the poor and needy.

Judy54 Mon 18-Dec-23 13:44:28

It is such a lovely thoughtful thing to do Marilla. Just give what you can afford and feel is appropriate. It is the intention for the recipient which is the most important thing.

Marydoll Mon 18-Dec-23 13:49:04

I always advise that it is free. If they insist they want to give an offering, I suggest they give only what they can afford.
Not everyone can afford £20. The most important thing is that the person is remembered at Mass.

Grannmarie Mon 18-Dec-23 14:59:37

👋 Hello, Marilla. I agree with Marydoll. It is free, but most people like to give a donation / offering, however small.

For example, I have seen envelopes handed into the Sacristy containing £5, with brief details of the Mass intention noted on the front of the envelope.
E.g. Dear Father,
Please say Mass for xxxxxx, 10th anniversary, R.I.P.

Last week, an old friend gave me the gift of a Christmas Mass Bouquet. I greatly appreciate that Mass will be said for my intentions at Christmas time.

Hope this helps, have a lovely Christmas.

Haydnpat Mon 18-Dec-23 16:12:57

We usually give £20

Marydoll Mon 18-Dec-23 16:20:04

Haydnpat

We usually give £20

Thats very generous, but not everyone can afford that.

I once watched an old lady empty her purse and count out small change. I told her to put her purse away. ( It was obvious that she was struggling financially.)

grandtanteJE65 Mon 18-Dec-23 16:36:13

So sorry for your loss, Marydoll.

Now I feel guilty, because I never offered anything, or suggested doing so, when I rang my husband's former confessor and asked him to make an Intention for my husband's soul, shortly after he died.

I second those who say, whatever you give will be accepted willingly, so I realise this doesn't help you. Perhaps if you can afford it, you should go for somewhere in the middle of the range you have seen offered in your time as a sacristan.

I sent a larger donation to Caritas just recently for use in Ukraine, as I know my husband would have wanted that. So another guideline could be what the friend or relative would have considered suitable, if you know what that is.

crazyH Mon 18-Dec-23 16:40:48

I usually give £20. I haven’t had a mass said for some time. This has reminded me to have a Mass said for the dear departed, close family members.

Marydoll Mon 18-Dec-23 16:45:36

grandtanteJE65 Mon 18-Dec-23 16:36:13
So sorry for your loss, Marydoll.

I think you have misunderstood. I haven't suffered a loss. I was offering advice as a sacristan, drawing on my experience.
In fact I organised a Mass offering for someone on Saturday evening. The lady made an offering of £15.

Norah Mon 18-Dec-23 16:46:36

I pray, a number is revealed, usually between what has been mentioned. It's free, typically the money is used for further blessings.

Marydoll Mon 18-Dec-23 16:54:04

Can you please explain, Norah. Are you talking about a Mass offering? I'm confused.

Marilla Mon 18-Dec-23 16:55:06

Thank you all so much in taking the time to respond to my query. You have been so kind and helpful.
You have solved my ‘dilemma’.
I hope you all have a Happy Christmas and let’s hope for a peaceful New Year.

Norah Mon 18-Dec-23 18:03:09

Marydoll

Can you please explain, Norah. Are you talking about a Mass offering? I'm confused.

Yes. My experience, money offered at Church is passed along into further blessings, perhaps helping the less fortunate -- which is a blessing to the poor, from the Church and the believers.

Marydoll Mon 18-Dec-23 18:25:20

That is what I said earlier. it doesn't go in the priest's pocket, in my parish it goe to the Missions.
Norah, it was the bit about praying and a number being revealed, which I didn't understand.

Marydoll Mon 18-Dec-23 21:00:11

Sorry, I was trying to type on my phone. Not a good idea!

NotSpaghetti Tue 19-Dec-23 00:32:06

Can I add that there are often mass cards available (which I'd be inclined to give a donation for as they have to be printed). It's nice to give a card with the info on to the person who you are requesting the mass for (or the living relative if the person is deceased).

Marydoll Tue 19-Dec-23 12:14:33

Another way of doing it is to order Perpetual Mass cards in advance from the Society of African Missions.
You fill them in yourself and send a donation when you use one.
That is what I do.