Gransnet forums

Bereavement

How to mark the first anniversary

(15 Posts)
PamelaTh Wed 01-Nov-23 20:25:49

Hi all,
On 7th November 2022 my father celebrated his 84th birthday. It was his last one. A few days later he become unconscious and then died on the 17th of the same month. It was very traumatic as he was at home the whole time and I still remember the days preceding his passing as the worst of my life. Now that both anniversaries are approaching I am becoming anxious . Any suggestions on what to do to to honour his memory without being overwhelmed by grief? Thank you.

crazyH Wed 01-Nov-23 20:34:10

PamelaTH - I have no suggestions but I can see you are really grieving. I can only offer you my condolences and some virtual flowers. Look after yourself …

Georgesgran Wed 01-Nov-23 20:44:22

My DH died in March ‘21, he would have been 71 in the November, so we took that day to scatter his ashes where he’d requested and had a meal out. Last year, we marked his birthday with a meal at the same venue, as we will do again this month. The place where his ashes are scattered is on private land with no public access, so we shall probably never go to that spot again.
I can understand the OP’s grief which is fresh and raw, but when my DH got his devastating news, he told everyone he’d had a wonderful life and did everything he wanted, so in a way we ‘celebrate’ his life, as well as marking his death.

NanKate Wed 01-Nov-23 21:23:04

PamelaTh it’s such early days since the sad death of your father. 💐

For the first few years after my dear dad’s death I relived his final days many times. As time went on I still thought about him regularly but the sad memories just started to fade little by little and I began to come to terms with the situation.

Remember each year and anniversary slowly changes from grief to acceptance to reliving happy memories.

Deedaa Wed 01-Nov-23 21:31:34

My husband died shortly before our 49th anniversary so the following year, on what would have been our 50th, my daughter and I went out and had a nice afternoon tea.

RosiesMaw Wed 01-Nov-23 21:35:53

I dreaded that first anniversary of DH’s death and the days before were indeed hard- so many flashbacks and “this time last year…”, but when it came to the day itself D2 had got theatre tickets for both of us for a Sondheim musical!
Actually it was perfect!
But for you- do whatever you feel best honours his memory perhaps with other family members, visit a favourite place, raise a glass, but most of all celebrate everything he meant to you and be glad.
“Do not be sad because he is no more, rejoice because he was

hollysteers Wed 01-Nov-23 21:37:52

So sorry to read of your sadness.
I try not to remember ‘death days’ and don’t like to be reminded. I think of my husband every day anyway and many times of my mother. A particular date is not that important to me💐🙏🏻

Hetty58 Wed 01-Nov-23 21:49:29

PamelaTh, I think it's an individual and very personal decision to celebrate/mark any anniversary - or not. I don't really 'get' it, as I find memories come and go regularly - yet the calendar, the date, is pretty irrelevant to me.

Yes, family may say 'This would have been his birthday' etc. and I'm aware of it - but I don't understand the concept of 'honouring' someone's memory, marking an occasion - or 'would have been' birthdays or wedding anniversaries. We're not great ones for special celebrations anyway - so it seems quite false. We have to do our own thing, always, not what others might expect.

To me, it's almost insulting, the concept that you can do something special on that particular day - and forget for the rest of the year - if only!

Shelflife Wed 01-Nov-23 22:07:55

Even now I miss my parents , but have never done anything special on the anniversaries of their deaths . It's just another day , I remember the love they gave me and my siblings every day , I remember both sad and happy times every day , I remember the love they had for each other every day. I am grateful and thankful for my happy childhood, I was very fortunate to have them as parents. I have no desire to mark the days they died. Just me I know that and I appreciate and understand why other people have a great desire to mark the anniversary of the death of a loved one. We all have our own way of remembering. Pamela, if you wish to honour your fathers memory, how about gathering your family together and having a meal out one evening or
entertaining them in your home ?

SusieB50 Wed 01-Nov-23 23:04:23

My DH died on New Year’s Eve 2019.I don’t do anything to “remember “
him on that day -too awful, but on his birthday I raise a glass generally with the family . His birthday week coincides with several other family members both still living and some have died so we have a little gathering usually . I personally prefer to remember happy times with him not the awfulness of the weeks before he died .

Cabbie21 Thu 02-Nov-23 07:18:40

I don’t remember the exact date of my parents’ deaths but I remember them often.

DH died 6 months ago. I have just heard about a lovely concert on his birthday in December so I hope to go to that to help the day pass more happily than it might. I shall miss him on MY birthday.

karmalady Thu 02-Nov-23 07:28:00

I took rose petals from my garden to the oak tree in the memorial wood. I released those petals in the breeze and told my husband he could leave, it was cathartic and I loosened those silken threads so he could know I was ok and would cope. There was no need to involve other people, just me and him and that silken thread

Greyduster Thu 02-Nov-23 08:18:51

I can’t now remember exactly how I marked the first anniversary of DH’s death this year. I just remember I didn’t want company. What I did do, on the first of our wedding anniversaries without him, was to go and eat lunch in our favourite pub and walk to a place that we had both loved. I expected to get some sort of huge release from it, but it didn’t happen - I felt nothing. If it taught me anything, it’s that pilgrimages won’t work for me. I remember him every minute of every day and feel joy for what we had, and that’s what works.

PamelaTh Sat 04-Nov-23 12:16:57

Thank you all for your lovely messages. It just feels good to hear from people who went through a similar experience, even though I appreciate we all have different coping mechanisms. I can understand those who say that marking a specific day does not make sense, I sometimes think the same, and yes, I do remember him every day of my life, not just on special occasions, but I have noticed that my grief has been getting worse rather than better lately and I was wondering if this has something to do with the impending annniversaries, in which case doing something to honour him may help me cope better - or maybe not, who can tell? Unfortunately, I don't have any other family so I will either do something on my own or involve friends but I still haven't made up my mind. Thanks for all your ideas and messages of support.

Nanatoone Sat 04-Nov-23 12:34:47

I found the fourth anniversary after my husband’s death by far the worst. I don’t know why. I don’t mark the date, I do raise a glass on his birthday and our anniversary, I still feel I am married. I have though found some sense of freedom from grief after the fourth year passed and feel like I have a future again. I noticed a similar pattern with my sister. I love and miss my husband every single day, my parents are much missed as are my sisters who have passed away. I have found in every case the horror of the days preceding death and the aftermath do fade over time. I’m so sorry for your loss, you are right to say it’s individual.