Gransnet forums

Bereavement

My husbands funeral tomorrow how will I cope?

(134 Posts)
1summer Wed 31-Aug-22 20:56:58

Sorry to trouble you but its my husbands funeral tomorrow and I am having a blip! I have organised everything with my children and they keep saying it will be a wonderful celebration of his life. They did say they would stay with me tonight but said I would be fine but I am not. I feel sick and shaky thinking I can’t go through with it, it seems so final.
Visitors today tell me that after tomorrow I can start grieving I can start a journey of recovery. I want to shout no no no, I don’t want to be on this journey and will never recover.
I almost feel like running away and not going tomorrow but I won’t I have to do this for my family.
I just want him back.

Rosie51 Wed 31-Aug-22 21:36:32

1summer I'm so sorry. There are no words that can comfort you, but I hope the strength of love and support from those around you will carry you through the day. Will be thinking of you.

nanaK54 Wed 31-Aug-22 21:37:57

I am so very sorry for your loss.
Sending kindest thoughts flowers

1summer Wed 31-Aug-22 21:41:07

Oh thank you so much. Just come back and can’t believe so many messages of help and support. Reading through them has calmed me down a lot. Not too weepy at the moment. i really appreciate the messages I feel as though you are all speaking from the heart to me.
I don’t like resorting to alcohol but just having a glass of wine from a bottle someone recently bought me, just the one then off to bed to try and sleep. Thank you ❤️

MawtheMerrier Wed 31-Aug-22 21:41:28

My sincere sympathy, I myself was there 4 years ago.
You will get through it, but please do not give a second thought to what others say you can or can’t do. We are all different and while their advice might be kindly meant, you are your own person.
If you would like family to stay with you -do ask. You may welcome the opportunity to talk about happier times, but take it one step at a time.
I hope it can be a celebration of your DH’s life, that would be lovely but there is no taking away from how hard it is for you.
I felt (and still feel) like an “unwilling refugee in a strange country”
There are quite a few of us here on GN and we will offer whatever comfort and support we can if you would like us to. flowers

Norah Wed 31-Aug-22 21:44:13

Of course you want him back, I'm sorry that you can't have him back. You can do this. Together with your children you can do this.

Please rest. flowers Prayers for you and yours. flowers

ginny Wed 31-Aug-22 21:46:19

So sorry for your loss. ?

Greenfinch Wed 31-Aug-22 21:46:56

Another one who is thinking of you tonight and willing you strength for tomorrow.

Deedaa Wed 31-Aug-22 21:51:34

So sorry Isummer My husband died almost exactly 3 years ago. I think my son had already moved in with me by the time we had the funeral so I wasn't alone. I can't remember much about that night so I presume I slept. DD and I had put a lot of thought into choosing the music and poems and so on so the actual service went very smoothly. My worst moment was my first sight of the coffin because that did make it very real. DD's worst moment was when she realised the service was starting with "On days like these" but it had been "our song" for 50 years, I couldn't leave it out. The youngest grandsons were 6 and 7 and behaved like angels (very impressed by the ride in the big limousine) and there was just so much support from friends and neighbours that it was all much better than I expected - even enjoyable it parts. I do hope your's goes as smoothly. It will be the first step forward. I won't pretend that life will be the same, or that 3 years on I don't still want him back, but it is survivable.

Beautful Wed 31-Aug-22 21:52:48

So sorry for your loss

You will get through it. I lost my lovely husband suddenly 6 years ago ... if you want to cry cry , if you want to laugh laugh ... I still cry about my husband ... I did this week ... no way is the right way to grieve, every one grieves in different ways ... possibly hit you more after your husbands funeral ... like some have said ... contact your children not to late to ask someone to come & stay with you ... also if you need help ask for it

I pray everything goes well tomorrow ... God bless

SueDonim Wed 31-Aug-22 21:57:07

1summer I’m so sorry to read of your sad loss. No words of wisdom from me, others are better at that, but I’ll be thinking of you tomorrow. flowers

Razzamatazz Wed 31-Aug-22 22:05:49

So very sorry your husband has died. My husband died unexpectedly six years ago, and I also felt like running away the night before the funeral. Thinking of you tomorrow.

Auntieflo Wed 31-Aug-22 22:08:57

So sorry to hear of your loss Isummer, I will hold you in my heart tomorrow.

aggie Wed 31-Aug-22 22:11:28

So sorry ! You will get through tomorrow, we have to it’s so hard , but we get strength we didn’t know you had , I found I couldn’t cry , go with what you feel , I cry now years later

Nannagarra Wed 31-Aug-22 22:12:19

Your feelings are perfectly normal. I felt the same when my mum died.
Reach out to family, friends and us on GN. We’re here for you 24/7.

fiorentina51 Wed 31-Aug-22 22:13:05

My thoughts are with you. I was in your situation 4 months ago.
Somehow you will manage to get through the day. I hope the support of family, friends and the kindness of complete strangers will help you not just tomorrow but also through coming months.
?

Blinko Wed 31-Aug-22 22:14:46

Summer flowers

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 31-Aug-22 22:16:39

Isummer ? and hugs for tomorrow. You will get through it and your family will be by your side.

VioletSky Wed 31-Aug-22 22:23:49

I'm so sorry for your loss. I don't have any advice but I hope your journey grows smoother and you are well supported by loved ones

Maggiemaybe Wed 31-Aug-22 22:26:28

I'm so sorry for your loss, 1Summer. We will all be thinking of you tomorrow. flowers

Ro60 Wed 31-Aug-22 22:27:32

? Yes, you're right - the things we do for others - the ones that are left..
In one sense, we never get over it, but eventually the pain fades but not all the sadness - or maybe I haven't waited long enough.
Thinking of you.

Joane123 Wed 31-Aug-22 22:30:10

Summer sending you love and strength for tomorrow flowers

cornergran Wed 31-Aug-22 22:50:30

You’ll be in my thoughts tomorrow. I’m so sorry

Spinnaker Wed 31-Aug-22 23:01:21

So very sorry for your loss flowers

GrandmasueUK Wed 31-Aug-22 23:14:15

Isummer so very sorry for your loss. You will have a lot of support from family and friends tomorrow and from people on GN. Please let people help if you need it. Look after yourself. Wishing you strength and peace for tomorrow thanks

Shelflife Wed 31-Aug-22 23:14:16

Isummer, your post has really touched me , I am so sorry your lovely husband has died. Your GN friends will be thinking about you tomorrow, you will get through the funeral tomorrow with the support of your family. ?? for you.